Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am busy developing a ton of loads, and thought it would be interesting to see them on a chart in Excel. I am thinking that the vertical column {x axis}could be grains of powder, and the horizontal {y axis} could be the resulting PF achieved with whatever loads I was developing that day. Being able to see the increase on a chart would be nice, but I am brain fried trying to figure it out with Office. :wacko: I have 2003 and 2007 at hand, and neither way is it obvious to me on how to get this chart created. Any Excel masters available? Thanks in advance, - Chris

Make more sense if you make x-axis the horizontal powder charge and PF the y-axis. Usually the x axis is the independent variable and the y is the dependent.

Edited by HoMiE

wouldn't you want all the load factors...oal, weight, etc

ETC: just asking because I'm a new loader and thought about that myself.

Edited by hk_mtbr

I am busy developing a ton of loads, and thought it would be interesting to see them on a chart in Excel. I am thinking that the vertical column {x axis}could be grains of powder, and the horizontal {y axis} could be the resulting PF achieved with whatever loads I was developing that day. Being able to see the increase on a chart would be nice, but I am brain fried trying to figure it out with Office. :wacko: I have 2003 and 2007 at hand, and neither way is it obvious to me on how to get this chart created. Any Excel masters available? Thanks in advance, - Chris

If you send me some of your raw data, I will make you a sample chart showing the table of data and the resulting chart. Let me know what kind of chart you want (bar, line, etc.). I will then "take a picture" of the resulting chart and upload it to a reply message within this same thread.

Make more sense if you make x-axis the horizontal powder charge and PF the y-axis. Usually the x axis is the independent variable and the y is the dependent.

X..Y.. gack...I'm half a lifetime out of school, and it shows sometimes. :rolleyes:

wouldn't you want all the load factors...oal, weight, etc

ETC: just asking because I'm a new loader and thought about that myself.

I was thinking of putting them in a text box underneath the chart. I have that data saved in my chrono book and thought I would add it in after I had a working template. GRight thinking process, though :)

If you send me some of your raw data, I will make you a sample chart showing the table of data and the resulting chart. Let me know what kind of chart you want (bar, line, etc.). I will then "take a picture" of the resulting chart and upload it to a reply message within this same thread.

Hopefully this is sufficient:

Here's my data crunched down from 100 rds at the chrono today. I was thinking the PF on one axis, and the Charge on the other axis in a line chart.

<---Ramshot Zip from M&P .40 4.25 barrel, OAL 1.14, Mixed Brass, WSP Primers, 175 GR SWC S&S CL Bullet--->

4.6 Gr = 158 PF, 4.3 Gr = 151 PF, 4.0 Gr = 141 PF, 3.8 GR = 136 PF, 3.6 GR = 132 PF

Thanks a ton for your help!

Chris

I am trying to come up with one load for practice/matches, and another for the spouse's PT140. Full power loads in that subcompact are right uncomfortable after a magazine or so. Trying to get an idea of PFs and any spikes in velocity, and a line chart would be ideal IMO.

See if this is close to what you are looking for. I created a double axis graph with the PF on the left side and Gr on the right. The numbers across the horizontal axis (1, 2, 3, etc) simply represent each of the scenarios. If you want the Excel chart file itself, send me a PM; the forum does not allow Excel files uploaded due to security and virus concerns:

post-15340-1216778030.jpg

See if this is close to what you are looking for. I created a double axis graph with the PF on the left side and Gr on the right. The numbers across the horizontal axis (1, 2, 3, etc) simply represent each of the scenarios. If you want the Excel chart file itself, send me a PM; the forum does not allow Excel files uploaded due to security and virus concerns:

That will work just fine as a quick reference, thanks a ton. PM inbound! :cheers:

Nice sheet Sky!

If you "highlight" the column headers (bullet, oal, etc) then go to Data:Filter:AutoFilter you'll get little "down" arrows which let you select the data by a specific paramenter...eg. under Bullet Style you can select JHP and it will return just data relating to jacketed hollow points. That may be my favorite feature in Excel.

Edited by hk_mtbr

I suggest you learn to use pivot tables and charts. Once you understand the data layout in record format, it is easy to make all sorts of different graphs. The graphs are dynamic, and can be changed on the fly by dragging labels from one axis to the other, or to the legend. You can filter and sort data easily, and quickly change the chart type (line, bar, pie) with a few clicks.

The best thing about pivot charts is the ability to play "what if I did this". They are actually a lot of fun.

I've attached a sample of some of my reloading data in pivot form. Play around with it by dragging things to different locations and changing settings and options. It's pretty powerful.

38_armscor_longshot_pivot.zip

Edited by Jeff686

The X-Y Scatter chart in Excel is perfect for this thing. If you send me some data I can throw it into a speadsheet to get you started.

I've just started re-loading and I've been doing the same thing.