Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

North's Tendinitis update

North

PRP ( platelet rich plasma) and prolotherapy. Look it up.....google. It works and is awesome, you will need to do it more than once but the treatment is amazing and really works. Instead of allowing the body to slowly heal, which tendons do VERY SLOWLY because they get very limited blood supply, it triggers the body to quickly heal the area because the treatment and the PRP is a accelorator for the repair. Just read about it in depth and go do it. You will be very surprised. Most insurances will not cover it because it is "NOT ROUTINE" however it is widely accepted throughout Europe and MANY professional sports teams in the US use the treatment all the time.

If it were me, I'd take a copy of the MRI and start looking for a second opinion. I'd ask around and find a surgeon that everyone speaks well of and who works on elbows all the time.

Unfortunately Uncle Sam is my insurer.

• 1 month later...

Dr. is convinced that he must have missed something on the first surgery. I will be having a second surgery the first week of march, he showed me a couple of articles on having a second surgery and apparently the success rate is 84%.

I'm the first one he has had to do a second surgery on.

• 1 month later...

Hey North just out of curiosity, how old are you? I used to get tendonitis in my right elbow so bad I couldn't pick up a full can of soda. Also had pain in my right shoulder from tendon troubles. Even had the shoulder scoped in my early twenties. Lower back pain, bad knees you name it I was probably sore there. Anyway, when I was 37 my Dr drew blood and just out of curiosity checked my testosterone. It was right at the low end of normal for my age and he asked if I was interested in hormone replacement therapy. At first I thought, nah not for me. After I talked to a few guys I learned were doing it, I started. I have never looked back. After 7 years now I would recommend this to any guy I know. It took away nearly all my aches and pains, sleep better than ever, lost weight, gained energy, started working out and got in the best shape I've been in in 20 years and your wife/girlfriend or significant other will wonder why you're as horny as an 18 year old. Insurance covers it and I just stop by the Dr's office every couple weeks for an injection. There are other ways to take testosterone if you don't like shots. Remember how fast you heal when young and how if you hurt yourself one day it was gone the next? You get that back on testosterone therapy It's not for everyone and you need to have a Dr who is up on male hormone replacement but man was it worth it for me. Anyway just wanted to throw this out there for you to consider.

Edited by murphyslaw

• 5 months later...

Update time--I had the second surgery back in March, after which the Doc tells me he didn't really see anything new, so he just ruffed up the tendons again to get some bleeding to promote healing. I go though the rehad/therepy again. In May he tells me, well most people have excellent recovery, it looks like you may just be a "good". I last follow up with him in June and he tells me well you may just be a average recovery after all, go back to therapy and if you still have pain late July see your primary caregiver and get a new referral as I'm deploying for a year.

I hear form him again in late June, he is almost in a panic. I need copies of your MRI's I'm up for my board certification and they picked your file for review. I told that I had given him copies of my MRI's at least twice, what happened to those? silence... I wind up getting them for him on the off chance it might help me get someone to fix my arm. no luck.

Flash forward to beginning of August, I get my normal doc to refer me back out for my arm like the surgeon to me too. I get to the referral management section and they tell me if the Army hospital can't get me an appointment in less than 30 days they will let me see a CIVILIAN surgeon locally. The Army couldn't, thank God.

I see the New Doc yesterday, he had all my films pulled (I still don't think the first guy ever looked at them). Carefully listened to me retell the past two years, including the part were all this started, low crawling around the New Mexico desert getting ready to deploy. (banged the hell out of the back of my elbow on a rock, I couldn't fully extend for a week)

He feels around, has me point to were the pain is sharpest. Then explains that a lateral epicondylectomy should take care of my problems. basically the elbow bone has calcified were I banged it two years ago and the tendons are getting worn going back and forth over it. (like a rope around a sharp corner) He is going to file down/smooth the bone and clean up the tendons.

My new surgeon is the bomb. Turns out he has had tennis elbow and the surgery. It is nice to have a Dr. that listens.

Instead of having to wait 1-3 months to get the surgery, I having it done on 2 weeks. 11 Sep 09. Wish me luck.

After being an Army brat and now in the USAF for 17 years, I can't believe that anyone thinks the government can do a better job with health care. Everyone I know is happy as heck when they get referred out of the military system for treatment.

Edited by North