Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting A New Barrel?

texasag93

How hard is is to fit a new barrel? I am compitent and have a dremel tool! :D It will be going in a PARA. Any harder or same old same old? I have seen no posts on fitting barrels. Did I miss that somewhere? TXAG

You will need more than a Dremmel tool. In fact, don't keep thinking of too many ways to use your Dremmel tool on your gun because it'll will get you in trouble and will need a trip to the real gunsmith. To fit a barrel you will need to square the rear lug where it contacts the breach face, I mean square and no light showing (hard to do with a dremmel). You will need a barrel fitting jig to keep the barrel in place in the slide when you are ready to fit the upper and lower lugs. High quality files (med and fine) will come in handy doing the upper lugs. Now the lower lugs you will need a Wilson lug cutter or a mill with the correct size bit to cut the lower lugs square to the slide stop. You will know when you fitted the barrel correctly - you will feel friction at 1/8" before full lock up, the barrel will unlock when fired (link size), the lower lugs will not get dinged after a few firing or shear off. And of course you'll get match grade accuracy if all is well with the manufacturing of the barrel. It's a very tedious process to do correctly. If you feel up to it then go for it. goodluck. josh

I think I remember seeing you post about your Para problems on another thread.....

I'm no expert, but I've built one 1911 and re-barrelled a Glock,,,,,these two experiences were enough for me to realize, it would have been well worth the $50.00 to have my smith do it. I'll never re-barrel a gun again.

I would let someone with some experience do it for you. If you want to improve your accuracy situation, the barrel must fit tight/precisely/properly,,,,,

If you don't want to potentially damage your pistol, it will also need to be re-timed as well.

There certainly are guys who can do a good job by hand, but the person I use to fit my barrels uses a mill where he can to be sure he keeps things as precise/tight as possible.

The problem you can run into for instance around the barrel's hood is taking to much material off will allow the barrel some wiggle room,,,not good for accuracy, and then you're back into the same old problem. Also,,,you can get into a maddening situation where everything "looks" OK,,,,but your having trouble going into battery or cycling,,,,which means a lot of times you haven't removed enough material "somewhere" and it is rubbing,,,,trust me it'll drive you nuts trying to find it.

When you get down to the barrel's feet,,,,,you gotta cut those properly,,,,needs a special tool for that to do it right. Depending on the specific problem with the barrel's timing you'll need to know where to remove matieral from,,,,,etc.

In the end, you could get the thing together,,,, get it running,,,,shoots well, only to be timed wrong and eventually lead to a catastrophic failure in the pistol.

It is a job, I would recommend farming out to someone with some experience.

H4444

H4444

believe my gunsmith will get that task. Sounds to precise for me to take on. Would like to learn to do this some day though. Guess I will let him do it and watch and learn. Thanks for the info guys. TXAG B)

With the help of someone from my range we fitted a gunsmith fit barrel in my 1911. We ran into a lot of trouble and the work took about 8 hours to finally get it right. Now that things are working it is awesome and the fit is very tight. It can be done right so long as you are mechanically enept.

Pete

It ISN'T DIFFICULT AT ALL to fit a new barrel into a 1911. Many years ago I did it once and had NO PROBLEM. All I did was get a moderately priced "gunsmith fit" barrel, look it over carefully, read a few pages in a "home gunsmithing book", take out my Dremmel Tool, spent a few hours screwing up the barrel beyond repair, took it to a gunsmith, and he bought a new barrel and fitted it in short order........... it wasn't difficult at all (true story)

:P<_<<_<

Name SHOULD be WITHELD, but it is not,

Jeffro (Jeff)

Good man,,,good choice.

I'm getting another barrel for my Para as well. I opted for a Nowlin on the recommendation of my smith.

Came down to his advice that if I wanted to shoot lead and jacketed to go BarSto......I never shoot lead, so Nowlin it is.

He's doing that and replacing the sights, trigger job, smooting out the action, fitting up an Ed Brown extended ambi and a few other things.......

H4444

I had two guys I shoot with try to get a Nowlin barrel with the C/P cut and couldn't find one anywhere. Nowlin is suppose to be making one but havent seen one in stock anywhere. I shoot lead for practice and jacketed for matches. I hope this fixes the problem. TXAG

My smith will order it for me,,,,since he doesn't stock many barrels,,,,didn't really matter what I picked,,,,he'd have to order it. :lol:

I'm probably going to be taking a couple months off from shooting live fire,,,,,personal obligations, so if it takes a while to get the barrel,,,,no biggie. But I had him order it a while ago.......not sure if he has it yet or not.....

H4444