Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C More Dot Size

gary meyer

I love the 4mil dot, but a couple years ago at a state match I had to shoot into the sun in the morning, and I just could not see the dot. So now I use a 6mil and am very happy with it.

How much of a standard round steel plate is covered by the dot when your 25 paces away? I've tried the 12min dot before and it is great for those fast rat-tat-tat close in targets but with the steel plates at 20 and beyond it is too big, specially when they paint the plates red. I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to. josh

I use a 1 minute dot for steel and I love it. Plus, I can see it fine no matter how bright out it is. For IPSC, I switch to the 15 minute diamond.... whoops, that would be a holo sight - sorry :P

Well, when I did shoot CMore, I used a 4 minute for a while, then switched to 6 because of washout in bright sun. Wish they made the 4s with a little more horsepower.

Gary, with the bright sun out here I would recommend nothing smaller than a 8 min dot. I switched to the 12 moa a while ago and love it. I actually have better results on a 50y target using a 12 moa compared to a 6 moa. For anything inside of 15 yards the 12 moa rocks. It's SO EASY to pick up and track. Shooting on the move in bright desert sunlight on fairly close targets is really tough with a smaller dot.

• 1 year later...

Dale,

I've just tried a bunch of different modules and have settled on the 6 MOA. The 8+ dots are easier to find but I couldn't deal with the fact that some targets were totally covered by the dot (e.g. head shots at anything over 10 yds).

The 4 was better for fine accuracy but sometimes difficult to pick up.

At about $40/module, you might want to buy a 6 and a 10 and shoot both for a while and see which works better for you.

That way, you'll also have a spare if one gives up on you during a match or a class <_<

Kevin

hmm.. i've started out on a 12... but went back to an 8 for IPSC style shooting... now am thinking of a 6 as it seems better for those really technical stages (far targets, swingers, tight shots) which seem to quite popular these days...

does anyone notice a significant difference between a 8 and 6 moa?

Regards,

A couple of friends of mine went to 12s and I thought they were crazy. Well, they are...but that's another story, or two. I've been using a 12 for about 9 months and now use nothing else. A 12 is big and easy to find, and never washes out on white steel in bright sunlight. Never had a problem with the dot size on any target at any distance.

Thanks for the replies! Six seems to have more votes overall so I think I'll go with that at first and try to see some others before I buy the back up module as Kevin so wisely suggested. I have heard of scope batteries and diodes going out at the most inconvenient times. ;) I still have about a month before the gun is built so I'll try to find a larger one to take a peek at. The ones I've seen so far have been 4 and 6. If one were to use a larger dot, do you zero at the top edge of the dot or try to figure out where the center is on a target? Can you tell I have lots of questions before the gun gets here? :D

I sight in on a black target paster at 25 yards. Turn the dot down low enough that you can see the paster thru the dot. Sight in dead on at 25, shoot off the top of the dot at 50, and hold at the top of the head on 4-7 yard upper A zone shots.

Put me down for the 4 MOA.

But, and there's always a but in life,

I change my battery alot in the bright CO sunshine. I use the 4 MOA for steel and IPSC matches.

Now I did try a 2 MOA dot at the Handgunner a couple of years ago -- it was very humbling.

I simply like the 4 MOA for the extra confidence when shooting steel from a distance or IPSC partials.

IMHO.