Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
ExtremeShot

Blueing - Do the sights need to be removed?

I recently got my open gun blued and I'm thinking it's time to have my limited gun blueing touched up. I'm wondering if I need to remove the front and rear sights before blueing? ...It would be nice if you didn't have to.

Thanks,

Darren

IMG_0316a.jpg

You don't HAVE to but they will probably seep bluing salts for awhile, and that's a PITA.

You don't HAVE to but they will probably seep bluing salts for awhile, and that's a PITA.

And the salts will pit the hell out of the metal underneath. Take 'em off.

I would definitely remove the sights. I think this would be an issue later down the road.

Boil the slide after blueing, it'll get rid of the salts and will dry very quickly after removing from the boiling water. Then oil well around sights to get some under them.

Once blued I found that rubbing down with mink oil really brings out a bright blue and gives the blue job some protection over oil.

Living in the Delta gun rust quickly. Still need to wipe the grip area down quickly after shooting when it's hot.

I used Red Wing but any brand should work. Made a few of those old Smiths look good have a limited gun that had

held the color well also.