Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Follower ”modding” and increased mag. capacity

olp73

Yeah man, I really appreciate it. I stumbled across this thread while googling the pearce mag extenders . I wanted a cheap alternative to the Mac-gar +2 mags, and I think this definitely qualifies as cheaper since its free haha!

I just really wanted a second or third opinion on the reliability of this modification since I've only ever seen it here. And because I know that I can get a pearce or mec gar +2 adapter for 15-20$ which I know will give me the extra rounds .On the same note If this mag mod turns out to fail it would cost me 15-20$ for a replacement follower and then Id only be back to where I was to begin with.

It's a bit of a gamble, but you have reassured me. I will see if I can get 14 out of one of the red follower mags I have. Maybe cut out the dimples on the 41AE mag. Oh, I tried what you sad and I put my already modded follower and spring into one of the flat sided mags and still was only able to get 13. One more is better than None more though! haha!

Thanks again for all the help and feed back.

One other thought came to mind after reading your post and that is what type of mag spring have you got in the mag. My experience has been that the small frame mags, depending on their age can come with two different types of springs. Older mags will come with a spring where the coils simply stack up on themselves and take up more room in the mag. New mags have a spring where the coils at the top are smaller than the lower coils so that some of the top coils sit inside the lower coils as the spring compresses and therefore take up less space and allow more rounds.

After re-reading your post I am presuming your pistol is a 40S&W or 41AE and not a 9mm. If that is the case the only way to get many more rounds in a small frame mag is an extended base pad. A friend I shoot with has a small frame in 40S&W and we ended up having to change out the follower & spring to one of Hennings small frame Grams follower & spring and added on a Pearce +2 mag pad and that gave him 16 rounds but it was tight!!! If you were desperate for that type of round count you will need the Grams kit and I would go for Hennings small frame base pads which are aluminium and not plastic and are also more generous in the dimensions so should make the 16 rounds easier to achieve!! Unfortunately this is not a cheap option and will run you around $55 per mag for the follower/spring/pad!!!