Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's see your IDPA legal Texas Star stages

Steve J

I love shooting the Texas Star and I know it makes people better shooters. It develops eye to trigger coordination and timing. So, let's see your IDPA legal stages with the Texas Star. I'll start.

Slide2.jpg

Slide1.jpg

Edited by Steve J

I love shooting the Texas Star and I know it makes people better shooters. It develops eye to trigger coordination and timing. So, let's see your IDPA legal stages with the Texas Star. I'll start.

Slide2.jpg

Slide1.jpg

i'll setup the stage 4 this weekend and try it...both look good and legal..

on stage 6,does PP1 activate the star ore is that a star attached to a stick,that activates S1/S2??? personally the only thing i would change on stage 6 ,would be to add a P2 [dbl barrels as a tree]and shoot D3thru D1 on the move to P2..thats just me talking..i dont like static stages :wacko:

At the Tulsa match last month they used a star on a stage also...used a steel shaped black boot to activate the star...

i'll setup the stage 4 this weekend and try it...both look good and legal..

on stage 6,does PP1 activate the star ore is that a star attached to a stick,that activates S1/S2??? personally the only thing i would change on stage 6 ,would be to add a P2 [dbl barrels as a tree]and shoot D3thru D1 on the move to P2..thats just me talking..i dont like static stages :wacko:

At the Tulsa match last month they used a star on a stage also...used a steel shaped black boot to activate the star...

Glad you like them. PP1 is attached to the trip stick that activates the star. I take a third plate from the star and wire it to a peg board hook and hang it over the back of the bottom plate for additional weight. It's optional. It just gets the plates moving faster. I also use a segmented, hinged trip stick for added reliability and speed of activation.

Adapt it as you see fit. I have to fit multiple stages in an oversized bay without creating shoot through hazards, so sometimes I have to limit width.

Steve..i set this up different,added another target,4 total with 3rnds to each..Shooter started from the left rear of the bbl'sabout 4yds out and while moving to P2 engaged T1T2,which were 5yds 7yds to the right of the bbls.12 yds from the bbl's to the star,and i ran the hard cover at the top of where the arms attach..ran 17 shooters..best time score was a cdp/ex with a 20.62/2pd up to 71.91 ssp/nv,with the last star fallling off at the 31 st rnd . 2 exp 10 ss 3 mm 2 nv shooters....given the comments and the oh sh**s given i think it would work fine..G'

Steve..i set this up different,added another target,4 total with 3rnds to each..Shooter started from the left rear of the bbl'sabout 4yds out and while moving to P2 engaged T1T2,which were 5yds 7yds to the right of the bbls.12 yds from the bbl's to the star,and i ran the hard cover at the top of where the arms attach..ran 17 shooters..best time score was a cdp/ex with a 20.62/2pd up to 71.91 ssp/nv,with the last star fallling off at the 31 st rnd . 2 exp 10 ss 3 mm 2 nv shooters....given the comments and the oh sh**s given i think it would work fine..G'

Essentially the same. Our times ranged from 17.27 and 20.02 CDP/SS and ESP/MM who were 1 for 1 on the plates to 94.93 and 116.48 both SSP/NV both new shooters.

What doesn't kill them only makes them stronger. When we first got the Texas Star, it was not uncommon for some of our MM to have to reload to the next 10-rd mag to finish the 5 plates. Now those same shooters can often clean it without missing.

• 11 months later...

The base design for this one is by Lin E. the IDPA coordinator at the Blue Grass Sportmen's League in Ky. Thanks, Lin. It worked great. I added the charging dog targets.

Slide3.jpg

• 10 months later...

I'll ask the obvious question. When did the Texas Star become a legal IDPA target? Fun to shoot, great practice but hardly a legal IDPA target. I would be interested to know how you would defend CoF 1 or IDPA Principles IV.

Take Care

Bob

OK, I'll bite. What makes the Texas Star an illegal prop/target?

The only thing limiting it is that there can not be more than 4 pieces of steel in a IDPA legal CoF. So either limit the plates or make one a N0-Shoot with white hands and you are good to go.

Steel is allowed in IDPA, this is steel, but moving steel. There are moving targets in IDPA, so Steel allowed and moving targets allowed.....so?

Now if you want to discuss that it's not "real", then almost all moving targets in IDPA are not either (swingers, drop-turn, clamshell, etc) so not sure that logic is "logical"

JMO

Garry N

(and we use the star in CoF to add flavor occasionally. Try this, shoot paper for 12 round or so, then go prone and have to shoot 3 plates from prone where you can only see the plates at the bottom- wall in front of star and only shot is below wall......it's a hoot. First two not bad but that 3rd one really gets moving <g>)

I would be interested to know how you would defend CoF 1 or IDPA Principles IV.

Take Care

Bob

"You and your family are driving outside of Roswell, NM, when you are attacked by a swarm of whirling Texas stars.

Using available cover, defend yourself and your loved ones." :P

:devil:

Jane,

I know you said this in jest....but living in Houston Texas, this happens all the time. At least once a week it's in the paper where these aggressive Texas Stars attack unsuspecting (but fortunately armed) people.

I suspect that they are coming from Mexico <g>

Garry

let's see your IDPA legal stages with the Texas Star.

I too love the TX star but there is no such thing as an IDPA legal TX star stage. P. 13 rule book #18 “No more than 25% of the shots required on any string of fire may be on steel targets…” so you would have to have 15 paper shots in addition to the five steel shots but #19 puts an end to that with “No string of fire may exceed a maximum requirement of eighteen (18) rounds.

We have them in our club matches but I do know that our AC rejected a TX star stage at one of our regional matches.

"You and your family are driving outside of Roswell, NM, when you are attacked by a swarm of whirling Texas stars.

PHHHHTTT!! :roflol: I almost sprayed my keyboard with monster... well done jane :D

Edited by dsmw5142

I would be interested to know how you would defend CoF 1 or IDPA Principles IV.

Take Care

Bob

Actually, no different than being attacked by a bunch of flat brown paper people at a gas station. :mellow: Steve I like both stages, we need more challenge.

I too love the TX star but there is no such thing as an IDPA legal TX star stage. P. 13 rule book #18 “No more than 25% of the shots required on any string of fire may be on steel targets…” so you would have to have 15 paper shots in addition to the five steel shots but #19 puts an end to that with “No string of fire may exceed a maximum requirement of eighteen (18) rounds.

We have them in our club matches but I do know that our AC rejected a TX star stage at one of our regional matches.

So what you do is make the CoF require the shooter to shoot 4 of the plates only, make the 5th plate a N0-Shoot (black plate with white hands). So 4 plates on a Texas Star and a total of 16 scored rounds would make it 25% and IDPA legal to use. True, one can not use the total 5 plates and be IDPA legal, but one can use a Texas Star, let IDPA shooters experience a fun prop, and still be IDPA legal with a little thought and prep.

I'll ask the obvious question. When did the Texas Star become a legal IDPA target? Fun to shoot, great practice but hardly a legal IDPA target. I would be interested to know how you would defend CoF 1 or IDPA Principles IV.

Take Care

Bob

With all five plates on it would not be a legal target. However, if you remove plates and meet the 25% rule then there is nothing that says it is illegal. We have had one in our state match doing just this. They were bad guys coming through the dog door in the kitchen.

All of the stages I've posted are IDPA legal. Did you look at them? They follow the 25% rule. None of them use all 5 plates.

Take Care

Bob

How do I justify it? That's easy. Steel targets are legal in IDPA. The Texas Star is simply a device for holding steel targets. All of my stages using the Texas Star comply with CoF 18.

CoF 18. No more than 25% of the shots required on any string of fire may be on steel targets and no more than 10% of the total shots required in the match may be on steel.

As far as CoF 1 is concerned:

CoF 1. All CoF must either simulate a possible real life scenario or test skills that might reasonably be used in a real life self-defense confrontation. If you cannot honestly say “that could happen,” it probably won’t make a good IDPA stage.

Moving steel plates (any moving target for that matter) is a far more realistic target than a static cardboard targets. Anything that moves (to include plates mounted on the Texas Star) simulates a real life threat better than anything else.

Did you bother to look at the stages I posted? They are IDPA legal in every way.

The AC rejected an illegal stage not the Texas Star. See the State match reference in the quote below?

With all five plates on it would not be a legal target. However, if you remove plates and meet the 25% rule then there is nothing that says it is illegal. We have had one in our state match doing just this. They were bad guys coming through the dog door in the kitchen.

Edited by Steve J

The AC rejected an illegal stage not the Texas Star

Sure enough. They used a TX star at nationals this past year but the shooter only shot one plate...

Yes. I was going to mention that, but I forgot it was two plates and not just the boot. The same set up was used in the 2009 Oklahoma State match. A Texas Star with 3 plates was used as final target in the 2010 Oklahoma State/Badlands match. http://www.badlandsidpa.com/images/pdf/2010cof/Stg_11_Bomb_Factory.pdf

Here's one I designed for next month. There are only 4 plates to shoot. That complies with the 25% rule. The 5th plate is used as a weight to start the Star moving. Depositing the bomb trips an activator pad to start the plates moving. Moving plates represent moving threats far better than static cardboard targets.

post-6089-127479844304_thumb.jpg