Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question About Changing Powder In 650?

I'm just curious of how you clean the powder measure when changing powders. How do you make sure there isn't any left over powder that might mix with a different powder and cause a major problem? Do you vaccuum? If you do that won't it add static electricity which could be a major problem? What tricks do you have?

Thanks,

Pete

Dump the powder out the top. Then, flip it back upright and cycle the slide a few times with the funnel over the powder bottle to get out the last bit of it. That's it. If you're having major static cling issues, you need to try the 2% Joy dunk.

No need to vacuum or anything else. At least not with anything I've used.

Guest Larry Cazes

Pete, Keep it simple. I've never done anything more then dumping the powder out of the top, cycling a few times, and refilling with new powder.

I'm just a bit nervous as I've heard horror stories where people mixed powders and had a big mess on their hands. I just don't want to run into such problems. I can see some powder left in the powder measure but can't seem to get it out. I've cycled it numerous times and tried dumping it from the top without any luck. Oh well guess I'm being too paranoid.

Pete

If you do like EricW said, you will have, at most, a few specks of powder granules left. Nothing that's going to affect your next batch of loads. Just be sure to cycle it several times after pouring it. There's a lot left that you can't see.

When you are done reloading to you empty the powder in the powder measure or do you leave it in there? At first I was leaving it in there but now I remove it. I would think this would be the advised way of doing things.

I leave my powder in the measure unless I am changing powders. I have little paper tabs that fit under the Dillon Power measure cap and hang down the side of the measure that states the powder and charge weight. If doing this make a few powder dumps prior to loading, especially in humid enviroments. My power has clumped on me and ended up with partial or no charges. That really sucks. TXAG

When you are done reloading to you empty the powder in the powder measure or do you leave it in there? At first I was leaving it in there but now I remove it. I would think this would be the advised way of doing things.

The trick is to try and keep the moisture content of the powder the same for burning consistency.

For rifle loads, I always put the powder back in the bottle after loading. For pistol loads where I care about PF, I do the same. For plinker loads and shotgun loads, I don't worry about it.