Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I start Reloading?

JPT

Opinions wanted!

I just started shooting. So I have quite a bit to learn right now as it is. I only shoot 9mm right now. I am considering buying a Dillon 550B from benos.

But, what $ is saved by reloading in the 9mm round. I can usually find the factory ammo i like (rem UMC or Blazer) for about 10.00 for 50.

I am also concerned about the fire/safety hazards because I would have to set up reloading in my basement - I have 2 little kids in the house.

Is it worth it in your opinions???

So 100 rounds cost you ~ $20.

A lot depends on how many rounds you shoot per month.

The last 100 rounds of 9 mm I loaded on my 550B cost me $10.01.

Bullets were $7, 147gr moly coated. Lead would be less, jacketed more, plus the $70 per 1000 price is now $74 per 1000.

Brass was 0. I have a friend, but if you have a range anywhere around you you should be able to get it for not much money at all.

$2.10 in primers, but the price now is going nowhere but up. The ones I have I paid $105 for 5k.

$.91 in powder. I use 3.4 grains of WST per load, that powder cost me $75 for 4 pounds.

Of course you have to figure in the price of the press and all the extras (figure at least $300 in extras, scales, brass cleaning equipment etc).

Store the primers and powder in separate dry places. I load in the garage, primers are there and the powder is in the laundry room. Make sure you clean brass outside, there's more lead in there than in actual reloading.

Do a search and you'll have more info than you can wade through in one sitting.

Enjoy your new hobby.

Bruce

To me it's worth it, I shoot USPSA and shooting a 130pf load rather than a full power factory load is nice.

Frankly, if it was just about putting the little bullets in the mag, I would never reload. 9mm is still cheap compared to your time and effort.

BUT, reloading is so satisfying, fun, and a ton of possibilities. For Example,; I have over 2000+ rounds of 30-06 loaded, but I found a reason to load 20 new ones this weekend. A 550 will keep your possibilities endless.

If I dare say, reloading is one sport and shooting is another, they just kind of go together.

Rhett

Do not think about it twice, you need to reload. This way you can spend the same amount of money on ammo and shoot twice as much. Also you can tailor your loads to your gun. Why shoot something that works in most guns if you can shoot something designed for your own gun. Also, and it has been said here before, reloading is almost as much fun as shooting. In your shoes I would get a Square Deal though - as long as you are just going to load for handguns.

You'll get more satisfaction out of reloading than just the cost savings.

As the saying around here goes - you'll save nothing because you'll shoot twice as often. There's quite a bit of truth in that statement.

My cost for a box of 50 reloaded jacketed 9mm 147g bullets is about $6.30/50. About 60% of what you said you're paying.

You can use moly coated bullets or lighter weight bullets to reduce the cost even more.

A few years ago someone put this reloading spreadsheet out - shows costs & payback period for buying a reloader.

It took me about 15,000 rounds (5 months) to pay for everything.

340 Dillon 550 (came with 9mm caliber conversion)

40 .40 caliber conversion

40 .45 caliber conversion

34 2 extra toolheads

34 2 extra powder dies

30 2 toolhead stands

21 cartridge case bin & bracket

36 bullet tray

54 12 extra primer pickup tubes

40 strong mount

40 case/media separator

100 vibrating cleaner

140 D-Terminitor electronic scale

0 Fowler micrometer (already had it)

===

I put together a slightly different spreadsheet that allows me to track both cost and performance of different loads:

http://themxtrack.com/ReloadTracking.xls

If you reload only one caliber, consider

the less expensive Dillon Square Deal.

I've used one a few years, and love it =

it won't do rifle, and its a pain in the tail

to change from small to large primers,

but for one caliber, it's cheaper, and

auto indexing:))

Opinions wanted!

I just started shooting. So I have quite a bit to learn right now as it is. I only shoot 9mm right now. I am considering buying a Dillon 550B from benos.

But, what $ is saved by reloading in the 9mm round. I can usually find the factory ammo i like (rem UMC or Blazer) for about 10.00 for 50.

I am also concerned about the fire/safety hazards because I would have to set up reloading in my basement - I have 2 little kids in the house.

Is it worth it in your opinions???

Yes - reload.

You may not save money because you will shoot more.

As for kids, they love 550's. When they are a little older they will be great brass sorters, and eventually will take all your guns and ammo and shoot better then you ever dreamed of and you get to pay for it.

(Ya, it's worth reloading)

I think you need to judge by much you shoot and plan to keep shooting... with two small kids they might eat in to your shooting time more than you think... I would say that you wont throwing money away in the long run, But in the short term if you are just shooting now and then I wouldn't bother. Lastly what is the little lady thought? That can all the diffrence in the world.

+1 on the save no money .... you will just shoot more

Edited by TheBlackSheep

Unless you hit the lottery or a rich uncle died recently and left you $$$$$$$$ Yes you should reload. Lots of good info here for the reading. data.hodgdon.com will get you reloading data for anything you want.

Good Luck,

Richard

The price of ammo - all ammo - is going to keep going up. If you are only going to load 9mm or, say .45 ACP eventually, go ahead and invest in reloading equipment. The Square Deal B will serve you well and is less expensive than the 550. Caliber change, if you choose to do so down the road, is easy and takes very little time. Remember, when you get started to go slow and pay attention to what you are doing. The kids love to sort cases and count bullets for you. It also helps them with their math skills in school. A lot of people don't think about that. They also learn to read the names on the cases. How can you loose? Good luck.

(in answer to your question): In a word--Yes.

And what chirpy said is right: Tons of information about it here. Don't neglect the Mother of All Forum Threads, either... the one about 'show us your reloading workbench' and all that. Unbelievable hints there on what we do with our spare time and effort.

Oh, yeh, and I do the Square Deal B.