Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

problems with OAL

ghawk249

I new to reloading on a 550b. I'am loading 200gr swc bear creek bullets. I have set and checked the seating die for 1.250 with+- .007 varience. I just got through loading 100 rounds, 60 rounds were with in the 1.250 OAL. Forty rounds how ever were running 1.260 to 1.269. I have checked the bell on the cases and the bullet will sit firmly on top. The dies have been cleaned out with a chore boy brush. I have to be doing something wrong. This is not the 1st time with this problem. It also happens when loading 40S&W. Help

There is always a little bit of variance of the OAL when reloading but it is possible that you may be short-stroking the arm.

+1, also check both the lock ring on the seating die and the seater punch to make sure they're not moving on you. The lock ring needs to be wrench-tight, not finger-tight.

tighten down your shell plate holder, place 4 shells on the plate holder and remove the "kick out" arm. Slowly tighten the shell plate, and rotate, until it won't rotate anymore and back of just a hair. Then tighten down the tension screw (on the side of the ram arm) and you should be golden.

If it isn't a walking die as suggested above or short stroking it, I'm almost certain it's your shell plate.

Make sure that you are using the SWC (flat) side of the seater die. If you are using the one for round nose, you will get variations based on slightly different shaped tips on the projectiles. Might not be your problem, but it is worth a shot.

Make sure that you are using the SWC (flat) side of the seater die. If you are using the one for round nose, you will get variations based on slightly different shaped tips on the projectiles. Might not be your problem, but it is worth a shot.

Agreed. If you're using a concave seating stem, you can check the consistency of your bullets by picking 10-15 of them at the same length (+/- .001" and making sure the sprue doesn't exstend beyond the base), remove the stem from your seating die, and measure the total length of bullet/seating stem with the stem on the bullet. That variation should be what you see on the finished rounds. If it's wildly different, then the problem is elsewhere.

Bronson7

• 2 years later...

I new to reloading on a 550b. I'am loading 200gr swc bear creek bullets. I have set and checked the seating die for 1.250 with+- .007 varience. I just got through loading 100 rounds, 60 rounds were with in the 1.250 OAL. Forty rounds how ever were running 1.260 to 1.269. I have checked the bell on the cases and the bullet will sit firmly on top. The dies have been cleaned out with a chore boy brush. I have to be doing something wrong. This is not the 1st time with this problem. It also happens when loading 40S&W. Help

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem as "ghawk249" with my first batch of 200g LSWC on my 550 Dillon. I didn't even know there was a (flat side) on the seating die. What does that mean? I haven't been to my loading bench while reading and replying to this thread, but when I get there (my loading bench) will I find the( flat side of the die) by flipping it 180 degrees in the body of the die? I'll tighten my shell plate just for good measure while I'm there. Which by the way what is the "kick out arm"? I'm assuming it's the aluminum merry go round part you push with your left thumb that moves the operation to the next stage right?