Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introduction to Reloading

Due to the recent high ammo prices ($28 for WWB .45 230 ball, 100 rounds) and my ever growing round count, I think i should look into reloading so I don't spend all of my savings account on bullets. The problem is, I have no idea what to do or where to even begin. I was wondering about the basics for a decent having a decent press set up.

What will i need? (reloading .45ACP and maybe .38spcl.)

Where is the best place to do it? (in the garage, the house, shed...)

What type of press and equipment should I get?

How much will the whole setup cost? (not mega expensive)

I know the basics, you would need a bench, gunpowder, primers, dies, casings, bullets..... but i lack the specifics.

any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Rick

If you are going to be reloading pistol only, I'd suggest a Dillon Square Deal press. It comes with one caliber so you could go ahead and get your 45 ACP ready to roll in no time! I love mine. It's relatively small, easy to use and has the No-BS warranty that Dillon really stands by!!! You'll never regret a Dillon. I reload in my "Man-Room" here in the house. I would recommend a place where it's climate controlled if possible. Not much humidity, etc

Some of the basic tools I use are:

Powder Scale

Brass Tumbler and/or Separator

Primer Flip tray

Primer Filler Tubes

I may have left something out because I'm not looking at my reloading bench now. :) Someone else will chime in I am sure.

+1 on the Square Deal B. (aka SDB)

I bought a Lee Turret for my first press. It was easy and simple, but required 3x the work of the Dillon to load ammo. I know there is comfort and safety with starting out simple (single stage or turret). However, assuming your mechanical skills are not nill, you should be able to handle a Square Deal B very easily. It was only a matter of months before I tired of the turret, and wanted a progressive.

If you order one from Dillon (or Brian E) they will come all setup and ready to run. You'll need to add components (bullets, primers, powder, and brass), and adjust the powder measure and bullet depth. Other than that, you're set. The only down side to the SDB is that it uses special dies, available only from Dillon.

In my opinion, the basic setup would be:

Dillon Square Deal B

Digital Calipers

Scale (balance is fine, but electronic is cool)

Primer Flip tray

Reloading components

Reloading manual

Tumbler and separator (for cleaning brass)

Now, a LOT of people use the Dillon 550b. They can handle rifle and pistol cartridges. You can also add a case feeder. They use 'standard' dies, available from many sources. The big difference betweent he 550b and the SDB is that the 550b does not automatically index (turn the shells to the next position). This is a big deal to me, but many others do not care.

The best reason to get a 550b is if you are buying it locally from another shooter who is willing to help you with setup and teach you how it works. Of course, this is also possible with the SDB, but less likely.

Edited by Jeff686

+2 on dillon (square deal) quick easy set-up, build a 2x4 bench or something of that nature(go to search mode and you'll plenty of examples) figure out if you want to load 200 or 230 in your 45, once fired brass is cheaper than new and works fine. you'll find plenty of loads on this forum as far as reloads, powder, primers and amounts used, tumbler for your brass and magazines. add a scale for checking your powder charge. That will not kill the bank account, plus dillon has one great warrenty, and help is just a phone call away, Happy reloading :rolleyes:

Thanks. I have already had a lot of people I know around here offer to set one up for me, i just have to get the stuff I need. I'm not very concerned about the price of everything because it will pay for it self in about a month or two (about 3-4 boxes a month at $30)

I have been talking to some local guys and they all recommend the Dillon.

I think the next time I am in a bookstore, I'm going to look for a book on reloading... that might help things go more smoothly lol

I think the next time I am in a bookstore, I'm going to look for a book on reloading... that might help things go more smoothly lol

At a book store? Around here, all the spiked hair, tie-died, unshaven, birkenstock wearing, hemp clad bookstore employees hide the gun stuff in the back.

I think they get together once a month to have a bonfire and dance in circles around the warm comforting glow of free speech.

One truly great reloading resource has been the

Speer "Reloading Manual #14" Reloading Manual.

MidwayUSA and others have it.

Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse do as well.

Learn the art and proper techniques first.

It's important. Learning will help make for much

better purchasing decisions.

There is literally hours of information in this forum.

Searching will yield much.

But first. Get that manual. :cheers:

Jim

Yes, that' a good one. If a guy is new to reloading and having trouble deciding between Dillon's 550 or 650, I often tell them to buy the Speer Manual, and Dillon's Video Manuals for the 550 and the 650, read the manual and watch the videos and then you'll probably know which press you want.

be

At a book store? Around here, all the spiked hair, tie-died, unshaven, birkenstock wearing, hemp clad bookstore employees hide the gun stuff in the back.

I think they get together once a month to have a bonfire and dance in circles around the warm comforting glow of free speech.

Come on now!!! They aren't that bad... java script:add_smilie(";)","smid_5")

A place to start looking for books is talking with fellow reloaders in your area. In fact my first few books and references are older than me on loan from my reloading mentor. My favorite how to reload book is twice my age. Scary??? I am still a beginner reloader and have found my favorite two books are the ABC's of Reloading by Rodney C. Jones and Ken Waters' pet loads (borrow this book unless you plan to reload many different loads or copy at the library).

+1 on the SDB. Great unbreakable little machine. After you've read the Which Dillon and FAQ's in the Brian Enos website, if you still have questions I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind if you called him (he's in AZ so don't call too early). Check the classifieds forum and keep a lookout for a press. If you buy new, buy from Brian.

In the meantime for you to save some $$ before buying the reloading gear, buy the components and either...

a. come by my house and load your ammo in my machine in my garage

b. leave the components with me and I'll load you the ammo

I'd rather you pick a.

Now go, you've got homework to do.

B)

+1 on the SDB. Great unbreakable little machine. After you've read the Which Dillon and FAQ's in the Brian Enos website, if you still have questions I'm sure Brian wouldn't mind if you called him (he's in AZ so don't call too early). Check the classifieds forum and keep a lookout for a press. If you buy new, buy from Brian.

In the meantime for you to save some $$ before buying the reloading gear, buy the components and either...

a. come by my house and load your ammo in my machine in my garage

b. leave the components with me and I'll load you the ammo

I'd rather you pick a.

Now go, you've got homework to do.

B)

Yes, master Yoda :roflol:

haha. Yeah I know what you mean. one time I went into a books-a-million and asked the girl where the "firearms" books where. she gave me a look like I was a terrorist :surprise:

Here are a few WEB sites I think you’ll find useful.

An Introduction to Reloading

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/introtoreloading.htm

So You Want To Reload

http://www.stevespages.com/page8.htm

How to Reload

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/howtoreload.html

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33

And finally a great forum for reloading information.

http://forums.handloads.com/ or http://www.handloads.com/

Take a look at the Lee Classic Turret kit. I think it’s a good bet for pistol ammunition.

Proceed slowly and have fun!

Go with a Dillion, any Dillion but at least 650 will be good for anything for years to come.

If you get a different press your just going to switch it out with a Dillion later anyway. :D

Oh ya, and make sure you order it from Brian's site

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.650.html

+1 more for the Speer manual !!! :cheers:

This book "really" covers the basics of what to do and what not to do well !!!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Things I've bought for realoading I think does the job well:

- Dillon 550B (I *like* the manual indexing, lets me keep a closer eye on what's going on I think)

- Dillon Dies (for 9mm, the EGW undersized die I got seems unneeded)

- MidwayUSA case tumbler ($20ish from my "local" reloading shop, or goes on sale http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...amp;t=11082005)

- Lyman "green" pre-treated media

- Coarse corn media from the pet store

- MyWeigh Durascale 50 ( http://digitalscale.com/Precision.htm )

- The one book one caliber/cartridge guide ( http://www.loadbooks.com/ )

Things I wouldn't buy again:

- The midwayUSA case separator (comes as part of this kit http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...amp;t=11082005). Crap all over the floor. Gets the job done, but makes a simple thing hard. $40 for the Dillon one seems like money WELL spent. What was I thinking.

Edited by steveknapp

Stoney,

Setting up my reloading stuff in the garage.

Its my first foray into this also.

Planning on using it for my .308 rifle as well as my future commemorative Para-Ord .45ACP.

I would love to get a Dillon but have a Lyman T-Mag that was given to me.

All I have to get are some essentials.....the dies, a good scale, and reloading components.

I know, I know..... everyone out there is going to say to get the Dillon but this is what I'll start with and if I find myself going too slow after doing it for a while THEN I'll consider getting a Dillon.

Hey the press was free with a #55 Powder Measure.

For the price of dies and other stuff I'll have to buy anyway I can jump into reloading instead of spending a lot on the (very nice looking 550 or 650) Dillon press.

I will be in my hot,humid, garage until around Oct/Nov when it will then be the freezing fargin cold garage! :D

Free is best.

Get Dillon Dies for the 45ACP. I used those dies on my single-stage for a long time before I eventually got another press.

Get a case gauge regardless of what type of dies you use.

Edited by Viggen

When I had to much problems with my rounds I just packed the whole bunch up and took it to the range. In less than 20 minutes I had my SDB running like a dream and my rounds making 175 factor. Over all length - who knows, propellant weight - who knows. Every thing, including the crimp was set up and chonographed and the setting locked or marked. Now I just load and shoot, trying to load more than I shoot.

You get so many years of experience giving good advice on the range and even if the advice is not perfect, you immediately see that the ammo is not working. Just find a way to fix your press securely at the club and make sure that the "experience" gets there early enough, preferably with a chronograph. Once you have reached perfection, don't mess with it.

Free is best.

Get Dillon Dies for the 45ACP. I used those dies on my single-stage for a long time before I eventually got another press.

Get a case gauge regardless of what type of dies you use.

Viggen,

Free is just right! :D

The Lyman dies will fit the dillon press if I ever upgrade to it.

Why buy the dillons instead of the Lyman dies?

Case gauge?

Is it used to check the unloaded brass casings?

JK

The case gauge is to check the loaded rounds. Both that they are not too long, but also to verify they are the right diameter.

In the end if this series, you can see it being used:

I found some of those youtube videos to be really helpful, regardless of press you're using.