Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ear protection?

Jerry,

I'd think about getting a good set of electronics (or even non-electronics) and double plugging. When you're just hanging out, you can be protected by the cheap regular plugs. When you're getting ready to shoot, you can throw on the muffs over the plugs, and it will help minimize any flinching due to noise. Nothing shows you how much you flinch until you double plug! Several of my friends double plug, even if they just carry their muffs for the rest of the match. Look in Brownells for a little clip you can put on your gun belt to carry your muffs when you're not using them. I think that would be the cheapest and most effective solution, and the only time you wouldn't be wearing your hat would be the <5 minutes during the match that you're shooting!

Sincerely,

Chuck

Jerry,

I'd think about getting a good set of electronics (or even non-electronics) and double plugging. When you're just hanging out, you can be protected by the cheap regular plugs. When you're getting ready to shoot, you can throw on the muffs over the plugs, and it will help minimize any flinching due to noise. Nothing shows you how much you flinch until you double plug! Several of my friends double plug, even if they just carry their muffs for the rest of the match. Look in Brownells for a little clip you can put on your gun belt to carry your muffs when you're not using them. I think that would be the cheapest and most effective solution, and the only time you wouldn't be wearing your hat would be the <5 minutes during the match that you're shooting!

Sincerely,

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

That's pretty much what I've been doing, but the cheap foam/expandable plugs are annoying after a while, and with the hat(s) I've recently purchased, the "over the head" style muffs won't really work. When I did double plug, I noticed that I was able to concentrate more on the shooting, and was much more comfortable without the muffs on the whole time. We'll see what happens this weekend I guess... thanks for your help everyone!

Jerry

Jerry!

If you don't have a problem wearing ear plugs, you might want to try Ear Pro Sonic Defenders by "Surefire". Check it out! B)

Visit My Website

Len

I have the EP3s and the EP4s and they work very well and would recommend them. My problem is that one ear canal is bigger than the other so I always have problems with the one in the right ear not fitting properly. That's why I'm having custom plugs made.

Jerry!

If you don't have a problem wearing ear plugs, you might want to try Ear Pro Sonic Defenders by "Surefire". Check it out! B)

Visit My Website

Len

I have the EP3s and the EP4s and they work very well and would recommend them. My problem is that one ear canal is bigger than the other so I always have problems with the one in the right ear not fitting properly. That's why I'm having custom plugs made.

Do you think they are enough to use alone, or would I still need to double up on them? When I was at the doctors years ago, he mentioned I lost a substantial amount of hearing on my left ear. I think it's a combination of years of shooting and cars (through the window). My biggest concern now is any further loss.... I've been wearing plugs for my motorcycle because I noticed them ringing after a few spirited runs.... better start protecting them while they still work!

Jerry

Jerry!

Visit My Website

Len

Were both sets medium? 1 set med & 1 set large could have done it but it's all academic now. Hopefully the custome made one works out for ya.

Jerry!

Visit My Website

Len

Do you think they are enough to use alone, or would I still need to double up on them? When I was at the doctors years ago, he mentioned I lost a substantial amount of hearing on my left ear. I think it's a combination of years of shooting and cars (through the window). My biggest concern now is any further loss.... I've been wearing plugs for my motorcycle because I noticed them ringing after a few spirited runs.... better start protecting them while they still work!

Jerry!

Nothing wrong with doubling up, again this is an individual preference & hearing should not be compromised.

Len

Jerry

Jerry-

I can get away with just plugs if I'm not shooting and off the firing line, but I tend to double up at all times, especially when those Open guys are shooting. :ph34r:

SSDK1911-

I have the EP3s in medium and the EP4s in large. Even the large doesn't quite fit right.

Jerry-

I can get away with just plugs if I'm not shooting and off the firing line, but I tend to double up at all times, especially when those Open guys are shooting. :ph34r:

SSDK1911-

I have the EP3s in medium and the EP4s in large. Even the large doesn't quite fit right.

03k64-

Understood! Hopefully the custom made will work out for ya.

Len

• 3 weeks later...

Over the top is better!! and Just double plug.. I've been there done that! Buy an ear muffs that takes regular

AA , AAA, or 9v other wise, it will be expensive just to maintain it. Then you wind up not being able to use

the electonic part because you will forget to turn them off? with a regular battery, you can buy a rechargable ones!!

While I fully realize the original question was about ear muffs, I tried a pair of Howard Leight Smart Fit ear plus this weekend and all I can say is WOW - do those puppy's really block the sound. I'm in the habit of using plugs and muffs but with these, the addition of muffs almost kept me from hearing the RO - I ended up just shooting with the plugs alone.

The main reason I think these work so well (for me) is that they are the first plugs that really fit my ear and really go well into the ear canal as they should. And at $1.50 for two pair, you can hardly go wrong.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I didn't get to read every post completely, but I do have something that may apply to your thread.

I purchased a pr. of Peltor Tactical 7 Classic from Midway. Before my order arrived, I got there next months flyer, they had these new generic brand Green Color muffs at a blowouts price of 23 bucks. I read the specs, and they did almost the same as the peltors on paper, so I ordered 2 pr. Had both within the week to compare. The Peltor Tact. 7 w/full size stereo muffs cost about 129 bucks (as I recall) and two pr. of Generic at 23bucks/pr.

I shoot allot so decided having an extra pr. in my truck as backups was good idea.

I compared the Peltor to the Generic at the range, first time I was at indoor league, shooting .22 pistols. The Peltor did very well, but the cut out feature was strange getting used to.

While others were shooting, I was talking to the RO behind the line, with about a dozen shooters firing on the line. As I tried to talk with him, normal volume worked very good, no shouting needed, just a whisper. Problem was, with the 12 shooters, every time one of them shot, I would get cutout working, it only lasted maybe a second or less per shot, however with several firing, I had too many cutouts to carry on a decent conversation as I was getting chopped up words from RO as he spoke, had to ask him to repeat allot.

Otherwise, they work very well on range.

I tried the Green Generics after about an hour; I was surprised that they worked so well. I came very close to sending back my 129 dollar set and keep the 23 dollar pr, I had an extra so if they did crap out, I had more.

The peltor I have had going on 3hree years this month, only problem I had was a foam block that covered the stereo mic. One had come off. I glued it back on and still working well. I shoot maybe 4 hr. per week ave. and it uses maybe 2 - 9v batteries for the year. (Except when I forget to shut them off) I keep a pack of dollar store 9v batteries in my shooting bag and they work fine.

The green pr. overall, was ok, but the hearing was a little tinny sounding and the loud cut-outs on them were longer time, maybe about 1.5 second before they recover. I gave it another week and decided to keep them all. The Green I let the kids and wife use but the Peltors are still going strong.

I see they have a new set of Peltor that has the AO Safety work tunes built it with antenna. I have a set of AO's that I use for mowing lawns, I listen to AM talk shows for hours at a time while working, they work great and makes the day go much faster. They use 2 -AA batteries and they last forever, I forget to turn them off (many times) and the next day they are still going strong. About 100 hrs. Per set of batteries is my guess.

The new Peltor with the AM/AM radio is something I want to look at, they allow an aux. mic. Etc. to plug into the unit. Use for NASCAR Races, cycle riding, working with crew in large areas etc. where communications are needed

The green pr. have to remove one side of muff (pull of the soft cushion ear piece, pull the felt inside filter out) to replace 2-AA batteries, the Peltors, a simple trap door and it's done.

After using both, my vote is the expensive Peltor was the better deal in the long run because I use them all the time. For occasional use, the Generic is maybe ok.

One other difference - with the volume (amplification feature) turned all the way up, the Peltors gave much better amplified hearing. I can hear the actions clanging on the far end of the range with my vol. only turned up slightly. So for hunting, Peltor takes first prize again.

Peltor now makes the thin style for long gun shooting and I think the behind the head models too.

Next time, I think I will try the behind head style.

Sorry for the book, but maybe my 13 cents will help someone with their decision.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I use the radians for a couple years and they are pretty good, right over the cap.

I have been using Peltor Tac 7 since 1992. The only issue I have had ove the years is if they get really wet, Tulsa. they can start to cut out. After the Tulsa Nationals I ordered a new pair and then took the old one apart and cleaned all the corrosion off the one board. It worked fine for the Multi-gun Nationals.

I have had to get them rebuilt once and the foam mic covers are not really important.

I have only double plugged while running the Dark House at the Nationals. Open guns in a steel box was too much for any single set of muffs.

If I am shooting where i am going prone I switch to custom plugs. Otherwise the Peltors seem to work pretty good.

Hearing Loss is a fact of life in my regular job, darn Q sirens. :angry2:

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of these from SportsMans guide: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=359175 . They work fine for me, and for all the world seem to be either a knock off or a rebrand of the Peltors. The KEY to getting electronic muffs to work well is getting a good ear seal. It's also a pleasure being able to hear a normal conversation on the range and still have my hearing protected.