Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ear protection?

Hey guys,

I am currently looking for a new set of ear muffs to use in USPSA. I needed a set that wraps along the back side of the head instead of the top. I was also hoping for an electronic set, if possible. Does anyone have one they would reccomend? I've been looking around at the local gun stores, and no one seems to stock anyting like this. I'd like to see if I can just get them ordered.

Jerry

I see a lot people wearing these. I've never used them myself but they seem popular. I personally use as set of Howard Leights that are either 29 or 30db NRR. I don't really care for electronic muffs. Hope this helps.

Peltor BTH - (This may not be the best price but I knew they had them)

I would stay away from the Peltors. I have a pair and they are not really worth the money. They worked great for the first few weeks then crapped out on me. They were so good in the beggining that 2 other guys bought them. Both of theirs have now crapped out. Even when they did work they ran through batteries quickly.

I have seen people with them for a couple years though, it may be they older ones were produced a little better.

I personally am saving up for a set of pro ears or the msa sordins.

My .02

Matt

Hey Guys,

I just came across this after a more thorough search... has anoyone tried the "behind the head" types of ear muffs?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/radians-hearin...ro-amp-bth.html

Jerry

Jerry,

I've seen people have trouble with keeping this type of earmuffs on their heads; the spring has to work a lot harder to keep them on your head. I have kinda big ears and I prefer the Peltor Tactical muffs. While they are over the top of the head muffs, the ear cups are a lot deeper, so they're much more comfortable to wear over the long term. I wore some of the muffs with a shallow ear cup (like the ones you're looking at) but they made my ears hurt after a few hours. If you absolutely can't wear over the top of the head muffs, I would get some custom made earplugs.

Good luck,

Chuck

Has anyone tried putting a velcro strap on the top of the muffs? That way I would think the velcro would support the muffs and the spring would hold them to your ears. I'm assuming guys would want the behind the head type muffs to wear a full coverage hat? Personally, I use the highest nrr muffs I could find and when I shoot open, I wear double plugs.

Thanks for asking this quesiton. I've wondered the same thing, since I like to wear hats that provide lots of shade.

I've actually considered cutting a slot and adding some velcro to my floppy hat, so it can be adjusted to fit the over-the-head muffs.

Hey! Maybe this could be a new product idea!

I had the Peltor Tac 6s and recently misplaced them and have since gone back to my Wal-Mart earplugs. So far I don’t miss my electronic muffs much. It was nice to hear people talk at times, but I kind of like shutting out the peanut gallery as I shoot. Also if I replace my muffs I’ll look for something that blocks out more decibels. Mine were ok for shooting my Limited Glock out in the open, but if I shot through a barrel I had to double plugs, and ROing for open shooters really hurt my ears. Competing in AZ I’m not missing the heat and sweat I was getting from the muffs either.

Hey guys,

Great help, I'm still not sure what to do here. To get a custom set of plugs around here isn't that easy, I would have to wait until the next gun show or when a rep comes out to the range. I was wondering the same thing, since I'd be running around for USPSA, would these slip off? I currently shoot L10, but will be building an open gun for both myself and my girlfriend. I gave her my muffs and she wears plugs under them, but can only get minimal protection from them since she's wearing a hat and sunglasses. I wear a big brimmed hat, so as of now, I'm just using plugs.

Does anyone around the SF bay area know of a place I can go get the custom ear plugs made? Any recommendations to brand or models?

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

Jerry

You should also know that the molded earplugs aren't as efficient as the "squisshy" foam ones, but they are more convenient for insertion/removal. FYI, if you put a layer of baby oil on them,. I got a good tip years ago, to clean them, use a soaking denture cleaner, it disinfects and leaves a nice minty flavor , if you lick them before inserting.

I can't speak for the behind the head model, but I do own the regular Radians and would not recommend them. The cover on the head band started falling apart only after a few uses and one side developed a crackling noise and remained even after changing the batteries. They are now my backup muffs in case someone forgets their hearing protection. I've also tried the DIY custom plugs with mixed results. I'm having an audiologist make impressions tomorrow for some custom plugs.

My three or four year old Radians decided to pack it in at the last match I shot. I really missed the electronics when they died. I've been thinking about the behind the head type as I like to wear large hats also (I don't get along with the sun very well).

I could have sworn I read an article in Front Sight about some electronic IN the ear plugs but can't find it.

Anyway, I was very happy with my over the head Radians, other than the over the head part, LOL!!

My three or four year old Radians decided to pack it in at the last match I shot. I really missed the electronics when they died. I've been thinking about the behind the head type as I like to wear large hats also (I don't get along with the sun very well).

I could have sworn I read an article in Front Sight about some electronic IN the ear plugs but can't find it.

Anyway, I was very happy with my over the head Radians, other than the over the head part, LOL!!

I'm in the same boat as you, my current set of Radians worked great for the past two years... I just needed something better before my girlfriend and I head out back to the range. She got burned pretty bad, and has been commenting daily about how dark I've been getting. It's funny, she burns fast, i don't burn at all, but definitely feel like I need a basting between stages to keep the cooking even.

Jerry

Hey guys,

Great help, I'm still not sure what to do here. To get a custom set of plugs around here isn't that easy, I would have to wait until the next gun show or when a rep comes out to the range. I was wondering the same thing, since I'd be running around for USPSA, would these slip off? I currently shoot L10, but will be building an open gun for both myself and my girlfriend. I gave her my muffs and she wears plugs under them, but can only get minimal protection from them since she's wearing a hat and sunglasses. I wear a big brimmed hat, so as of now, I'm just using plugs.

Does anyone around the SF bay area know of a place I can go get the custom ear plugs made? Any recommendations to brand or models?

Jerry

Jerry!

If you don't have a problem wearing ear plugs, you might want to try Ear Pro Sonic Defenders by "Surefire". Check it out! B)

Visit My Website

Len

I had the Peltor Tac 6s... Also if I replace my muffs I’ll look for something that blocks out more decibels.

My Tac6 muffs recently crapped out and I was thinking the same thing. A set of Pro-Ears came up on the classifieds here and I snagged them, they are rated better than the Peltors and the electronics do actually sound better.

Hey guys,

Jerry

Jerry!

If you don't have a problem wearing ear plugs, you might want to try Ear Pro Sonic Defenders by "Surefire". Check it out! B)

Visit My Website

Len

Hello Len,

I saw those before, but I'm still hesitant on purchasing them. I have absolutely no problem wearing just a set of plugs, but I'm afraid that the actual noise reduction rating is on the lower side. My hearing has been getting worse and worse over the years of poor ear protection choices (or none at all) with the combination of loud cars and guns.

Does anyone know what kind of NRR the custom sets of ear plugs are rated at?

Jerry

Visit My Website

Len

The "Fox Ears" on that site are the ones I was thinking about, I think. $780.00 is a bit more than I can spend right now though! :surprise:

Pro Ears makes a couple of behind-the-head muffs in the Predator series. I've got a set

of over the top Predators that I like a lot. One downside for the Predators to be

aware of. The knobs turn really easy---if you don't take them off you WILL accidently

turn them on stuffing them into your bag, running down the EXPENSIVE batteries that

Pro-Ears uses. No idea why they can't use AAA's like most others.

If you have a cowboy action bunch around you anywhere close go to one of their matches.

They all use behind the head muffs. Hard to get a top strap to clear 10 gallons of hat.

They can tell you what works.

My Radians died 6 months ago, so I finally bought the Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic muffs. They worked great at my last 2 range sessions and at 58.00 delivered, they are a pretty good deal. Midway.

Edited by frenchwrench

Jerry!

Visit My Website

Len

Thanks Len!

Just ordered a set. I've been looking for something to use to 'double plug'. I can't turn up the volume enough on my electronic muffs with traditional soft squeeze-me ear plugs. These might be the perfect solution.

Pro Ears makes a couple of behind-the-head muffs in the Predator series. I've got a set

of over the top Predators that I like a lot. One downside for the Predators to be

aware of. The knobs turn really easy---if you don't take them off you WILL accidently

turn them on stuffing them into your bag, running down the EXPENSIVE batteries that

Pro-Ears uses. No idea why they can't use AAA's like most others.

If you have a cowboy action bunch around you anywhere close go to one of their matches.

They all use behind the head muffs. Hard to get a top strap to clear 10 gallons of hat.

They can tell you what works.

At $320 a set, they better stay on my head!!!! I don't think I can afford them at the moment, I've got too many things on my plate. I'll definately keep these in mind, but in the mean time, I guess I'll just have to have people yell at me. :wacko:

Jerry