Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3/4" rule?

steel1212

I. Must hold the firearm positioned on the body so an object of

¾”width cannot pass between the shooter’s body and the inside

of the firearm when the shooter is standing straight and

upright.²

This rule is absurd. I'm not the skinnest person in the world but I don't have a lot of extra meat on me either. I took my comp-tac locking paddle holster and put in my eagle with STI ambis and its damn close to not making this rule. I just had my buddy squash the holster down to get rid of the "light in the tunnel" thing so its about as tight to the body as it can go. I put my SS in there with Ed Brown wide ambis and it is about 1/2" from my side. Somebody super skinney, like said buddy, would have a hard time making this work with out a IWB.

I understand this is so people don't try to get a thick holster that pushes the gun away from the body but come on.

Unless it is noticeable offset from your body, don't worry about it. As long as the light passing through thing is good, you've got nothing to really worry about it. I've never, ever heard of anyone being dinged for this rule, let alone measured for it.

Unless it is noticeable offset from your body, don't worry about it. As long as the light passing through thing is good, you've got nothing to really worry about it. I've never, ever heard of anyone being dinged for this rule, let alone measured for it.

I'll just say it was brought up at a local match I shot at while I was waiting to shoot.

They have a similar rule under IPSC.. I think USPSA went with the measurement from the equipment to the inside of the belt (and not the torso) because of this... I'll have to check.

yes but its something like 2" to include the double belts and what not.

Baggy shirt won't work, thick shirt maybe. I'm not going to wear a thick shirt in the middle of august though.

I have absolutely no problem with my 1911 (single stack by definition) in an unaltered Comp-Tac belt holster and I don't have much in the 'love handle' department. Not skinny, mind you, it's just all up front.

You've made plenty of effort. No one should question your gear.

I was shooting with the same CDP/ESP set-up for a few years. My set-up was fine until I lost some weight, and then it wasn't okay, and I was accused of being a "gamer" - yeah loosing weight and getting in shape is gaming - or just trying to make a lifestyle change! :surprise: So I stuff my gunrag inside my shirt and I'm no longer in violation of the rules. That made a lot of sense. /rantoff

~Mitch

I have absolutely no problem with my 1911 (single stack by definition) in an unaltered Comp-Tac belt holster and I don't have much in the 'love handle' department. Not skinny, mind you, it's just all up front.

You've made plenty of effort. No one should question your gear.

The problem I think was my holster was an older model, it looks carbon fiber, and it was pre "everything is IDPA legal" so it stuck out. I got it back the other day and tried it back on and took a tape to it and its close. I don't break the rules knowingly but if somebody was to buy a holster off the shelf and somebody wanted to challenge them I wonder how many would fail this rule? Yes I know its up to the competitor to know his/her equipment but it seems like this is one of those... I can get ya if wanna get ya rules.

Don't look at this the wrong way I love IDPA every now and then I go through the rule book again to see if I'm missing something and I came across this and was like WTH?

Edited by steel1212

I don't think there should be anything called offensive pass interference either but games have arbitrary rules because....because....because there have to be rules! :roflol:

Dale, if we didn't have offensive pass interference I know I would have had a lot more fun as wide recieaver in high school....pass over my head going to the CB, na I'll just flatten his butt lol.

IN 2004 at a state match,setting around AFTER the match, a shooter shooting a SIDE match got DQ'd for the whole match for useing an offset holster,during the match...he went thru 2 scarecrow checks during the match and was not caught. whether it was right or wrong for the shooter,he knew the rule and admitted it..so it does happen...

IN 2004 at a state match,setting around AFTER the match, a shooter shooting a SIDE match got DQ'd for the whole match for useing an offset holster,during the match...he went thru 2 scarecrow checks during the match and was not caught. whether it was right or wrong for the shooter,he knew the rule and admitted it..so it does happen...

I won't even go there on that one.....

There's a simple solution to this. Donuts! and lots of them. :)

Personally, I'd love to see the requirement be IWB holsters and be done. I don't think it'll happen, but I mention it occasionally just to plant the seed.

One of the largest obstacles would be instantly making 3 Million dollars worth of holsters obsolete as most of us don't actually carry in our game gear .... and that's my point.

Plus the holster rules were my least favorite of the last rulebook revision.