Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the deal with chokes for 3-gun?

I was shooting the same loads I have run through it as I bought cases of them to practice and compete with. Win 3 1/4-1 1/8 #6. I don't feel that it had anything at all to do with the ammo. Problem was we had several starts with full tubes and dry chambers. When racking the slide, the lead shell would not eject out of the tube onto the carrier. You end up doing some power racking, a little bit of cussing, and sticking your thumb up into the tube and trying to knock it loose to get it going. Of course if you have the bolt open so you can see, the carrier is locked and you can't bump your tube rounds. Once it kicked out and was running we were off to the races, but by then my mental plan was somewhere on a different planet. It did this to me on two different stages. It had never done that before. Very frustrating. I'm not mad and saying FN is bad or anything like that, but I am saying that shot guns can be so simple and shoot so good and be so much fun, and then you go to a match and this fun little simple thing turns on you like a viscious monster or something. Some sort of Jekle and Hyde monster. I hope I don't have nightmares....

I would be curious if this same problem would have happened if you had a Nordic +1 on your mag tube, making it a 9+1 gun. If you started with 8 in the tube you would have had a lot of "wiggle" room for that first shell. They weren't squeezed into the tube correct? Possibly not wracking the bolt with enough "vigor"?

I haven't heard of a jam like that on any of the popular 3-gun shotguns. Very interested to see what the fix is. Please keep us advised.

Sorry, once again drifting away from the main topic I guess.

Edited by Brian Payne

Oh there as LOTS of slide racking vigor...LOTS. I thought I was going to break that freaking llittle handle off. Also having a 9+1 gun can sometimes bump you to open, even if you only load 8. (Ask Taran Butler). Gotta run, taking my son white water rafting. It 's cool because we have the US national whitewater center here. You don't have to drive have way cross the country, just jump in the car and go across town and you have class IV rapids at your beck and call. :roflol: The little face is upside down as that is probably how our raft will be very shortly.

Steve

I know my FN will run with shot bouncing around in the action ;) A buddy borrowed it to try out and I haven't cleaned it for probably 500+ rounds, and he said there was tons of powder and some shot in the action, I think it came from some spreaders I picked up cause I had a couple that I chucked cause the crimp was failing. I think Nordic is supposed to have a bolt handle for the FN's shortly too, might help with the "vigorus" racking ;)

• 5 years later...

I thought I might ressurect this thread.

I recently shot my first 3 Gun and I'm hooked. I shot HM and used my Win 1300 defender 18 inch cylinder bore barrel with a +2 extension allowing me to load 9 in the magazine.

Two days before the match I broke the ejector spring. (Long story of Stupidity on my part)

Anyway, there's no way I can get a replacement spring before the match. So, I found a Winchester 1200 at a local pawn shop and paid $120. I canabalized the spring and shot the match. The cylinder bore 18 inch barrel did well.

Now I have a light weight Win 1200 with a 28" barrel and WinChoke and it is a fast smooth cycling pump.

My 1300 is smooth but not a slick as the 1200 and I can't change chokes.

So my plan is to put an mag tube extension on the 1200 so I can get 9 in the mag and buy a couple of different chokes. The 1200 comes with full choke.

I'm looking at Briley IC and Cylinder for now.

Light Modified is the choke I use about 85% of the time. If the steel is close or lots of clays, I will drop down to IC.

A few times I used Cyl and a few Mod or Full. But these last 3 make up about 5% of the time.

If only choosing one choke, I would pick LM.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...