Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge 9mm Vs 40 Sw ;)

pnmd

Of course I am newbie, I would like t get into Limited IPSC shooting. I can't decide which caliber to get.

I am going to purchase from Dawson Precision but can't decide between 9mm or .40 SW. I understand the .40's advantage is the major factor which is easier on scoring.

But I owned a stock Springfield Armory 1911 .45 and never practiced with it because of recoil. This is why I am considering the 9mm.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, is hard chrome worth extra $250?

Thanks,

Peter :D

AHAnnual2002p16_med.jpg

No question, get the .40 S&W Edge. It recoils like a 9mm in a lighter gun, or less. You would have to be among the best shooters in the country to be competitive with 9mm in Limited or Limited 10.

Hard chrome is worth about $200 to me. I've had most of my competition guns hard chromed, just the frames or entire guns. It doesn't show wear on the safeties, beavertail, and slide serrations like bluing does. It slickens the gun action noticeably and tightens the gun imperceptably. It cleans up more easily.

However, it's only worth doing on a gun that is absolutely perfect in every way and needs no additional work. Once it is chromed, you can't do much work to it.

If you want ANY chance of being competitive in USPSA, get the .40, I guarantee you will not be let down. You would really be wasting your money with a 9mm Edge because it can only be scored minor. Why spend $1700 on a pistol that wouldn't even really be competitive? Unless you are REALLY good and can get all A's and have super fast times, get the .40 I've played with all different types of powders and have settled on one that is really soft shooting, so comparing the recoil of a 9mm to a .40 isn't really valid. Also, you can tune the gun to your shooting style by changing the springs, but an Edge is an excellent start if you want to get into USPSA. $250 for chroming is money well spent and adds years of life to your pistol. Hope this helps.

get the 40, no comparsion to a stock mil spec springfield, much more user friendly. If you can afford it, get the chrome. Dawson is a good smith but give Benny Hill a call. Better turn around time and more personal service. Larry

Get the .40 you will regret it later if you don't. You will learn to deal with recoil. $250 for hardchrome is too much when Tripp Research will do it for $150 (limited gun)+ $10 or so for shipping. Tripp does AWESOME work, he has done 2 of my guns and is great to deal with.

Many thanks for the replies everyone.

I am going to definitely go with the STI Edge in .40 SW. I can't see myself hitting A's all the time with a 9mm.

Also will go with the hard chrome.

Talked to Dawson Precision today- should take about "6-8 weeks."

Tried to call Benny Hill but there was message that he would be at a match this weekend.

I wonder if he has one in stock or could build one quicker?

Thanks

Peter :)

I can't see myself hitting A's all the time with a 9mm.

Now there's a a mindset that you have to get over with. ;) Because if you can't picture yourself shooting accurately with a 9 then don't be surprised if the 40 will give you hell. :ph34r:

First you believe you can. Then you practice to re-inforce that belief. ;)

Good luck.

I also need some input guys!

Which STI or other 1911/2011 would you pick in this case? The 9mm or the .40?

(The shooter is class "B" and competing for five years in IPSC Standard/Major)

- Reloading is forbidden here,

- The affordable/available .40SW ammo is hot (190 pf) and expensive,

- 9x19mm is widely available and cheap,

- The gun must be out-of-box 100% reliable. No "break-in" or "fine-tuning" excuses.

- Majority of the regional shooters use 9x19mm pistols

one more thing about the 9mm vs 40 cal. is resale. the 40 cal will go well before the 9mm would in the U.S.

gunhead--

if everyone shoots 9mm in your country, then there wouldn't be a disadvantage in getting the 9mm. i'd get the sti in 9mm in your situation.

lynn jones

In addition to standard STI Edge components, for about $1780 Dawson includes :

Dawson Fiber Optic front sight, Ramped front sight, Drilled & tapped mag release, Drilled & tapped mag release & oversized mag button, Stainless steel magwell .

Are there any other must have modifications I should get?

Or any cool cosmetic mods must haves?

What about these color grips ($95 to paint your grip)- cheesy?

apsgrip.jpg

From Dentrinity (a bit too much ;)

shr.jpg

Gunhead, in that case I wouldn't shoot Standard (or Limited or Limited 10). I would shoot Production with a 9x19.

Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately Production is very under-represented here, about 90% of the matches have only Open and Standard shooters... :huh:

hello gunhead,

keeping the USP in the safe for a while ay ? I would go with the 40 sw to make major.

besides, recoil is not a factor to you i'm sure since you've been shooting for a while

now. also for practice you can try some 155 gr. a slight increase in recoil to a hot 9mm.

i like the Edge coz of the long dustcover , it gives a little weight in the front end for

quicker recovery for double taps. hope this helps a bit. nice to hear from you . i believe Ragls shots an Sti

now aswell.

kidd

Hi kidd,

You know, I not the greatest fan of the 1911/2011 ;) , but a shooting buddy and dealer is insisiting me to give it a try and he offered a really good price. And after all I am gun writer so I should be a bit more open to new things. :)

I am not sure about the STI because I see a lot of problems with the Edge .40SW (unreliability with factory ammo [OAL too long], same part breaking third time in just one year, mags not feeding the last ammo, etc ). On the other hand the 9mm seems to work fine...

I am sure that I can handle the recoil pretty well after shooting the USP40F for years. So, my main concern is reliability. I think the HKs spoiled me because I never had to replace or fix anything other than a P7 firing pin bushing in 5 years...

By the way I can get 1000 rounds of .40SW for around $180-200 now. :wacko:

The same amount in 9x19mm is just $140.

It's also an option to get more mags an just shoot the P7 in not just Steel Challenge. :D

Golly,

The .40 Edge you've experienced is ALOT different than the one I have. I bought mine through Dawson's and have had 0 FTF and 0 parts failure. I shoot in three different leagues and do not baby my Edge at all. I didn't even tune the mags. Just loaded them and started shooting! I have used factory ammo, but currently shoot handloads (180gr MG/VV320/WSR/1.19 OAL). Ammo shoots like a 9mm, only major - 940 fps).

One of the advantages of ordering through Dawson's is the pistol is taken to the range and run before you get it. Any problems are taken care of BEFORE it arrives. It runs so well, I am about to send it off to have it hard-chromed...

Oh well, YMMV!

Marvin

unreliability with factory ammo [OAL too long]

Factory ammo is too long for an Edge? B.S. What do you do, load to 1.10"? 0.990"?

same part breaking third time in just one year

Let me guess, either the guide rod or the rear sight.

mags not feeding the last ammo

It's very common that these types of guns lock open with a round left in the magazine. See the FAQ.

Shooter's Connection vs. Dawson Precision...

I spoke with both companies, they both sell similar products- STI Edge .40 for about $1725 - blued. They both include the Dawson optical sight.

It seems like the difference is that Dawson "supertunes and test fires" prior to shipment.

Has anyone purchased from either company and had good or bad experiences?

And Gunhead, you're bumming me out, when I read your post about unreliable STI Edges.

Thanks,

Peter :lol:

PS- still gonna get a quote from Benny when he gets back.

BTW- Shooter's Connection has 2 Edges in stock- could be the deciding factor...

Factory ammo is too long for an Edge? B.S. What do you do, load to 1.10"? 0.990"?

Hmm, this month issue of the Visier (major german gun magazine) also pointed out this problem with the .40 (not just with the STI, but SVI and a Caspian). And as I said, reloading is unfortunately a no-no here.

Let me guess, either the guide rod or the rear sight.

I think it was some part of the recoil assembly...