Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decided to get the Weaver scope, now what?

Revopop

Stimulus check has arrived, and I've decided to use some of it to mount a Weaver V series 1-3x20 scope on my new AR. I'm much more of a handgun guy, and I've never done this before.

I'm looking at Warne rings, as they seem to have a good reputation and aren't too expensive. They make Low, Medium, and High. The gun is a DPMS Sportical and has the Pardue telestock. Which rings do I need?

Should I order a cover or lenscaps for the scope while I'm at it?

Do I need any kind of special tools or know any kind of techniques to do this? A local range will mount and boresight a scope for about $15, but I'd rather spend the money on ammo.

I just knew you bastards would do that.

I've only had occasion to shoot one match with it, and we just shot the pistol stages over again. This rifle is just a plinker. I really don't even need a scope, I just want one. It's the cheapest good quality rifle I could find, and I'm about to put the cheapest good quality scope I can find on it, and I'd like to use the cheapest good quality rings I can to do it. To my very core, I'm a cheap bastard.

Weaver scope is on sale at Natchez for $139.95. I know that the Larue is the cat's ass, and I know I'd love it, but I just can't bring myself to spend $215 on it.

I just knew you bastards would do that.

I've only had occasion to shoot one match with it, and we just shot the pistol stages over again. This rifle is just a plinker. I really don't even need a scope, I just want one. It's the cheapest good quality rifle I could find, and I'm about to put the cheapest good quality scope I can find on it, and I'd like to use the cheapest good quality rings I can to do it. To my very core, I'm a cheap bastard.

Weaver scope is on sale at Natchez for $139.95. I know that the Larue is the cat's ass, and I know I'd love it, but I just can't bring myself to spend $215 on it.

I got the weaver grand slam rings extra high for my rig. They are steel and seem solid and very cheap. I'm using this on a sig 556 which I'm not sure of the height of the rail compared to an ar but it seems close.

Mule

Warne is a great supporter of matches just not 3 gun type, I have their tactical rings on a few bolt guns and they make a set especially for AR's that will not need a riser block to bring them to the correct height.

I would highly recommend either type LaRue or Warne, if you will need the scope moved forward for eye relief the LaRue is probably your best bet.

Trapr

Warne is a great supporter of matches just not 3 gun type, I have their tactical rings on a few bolt guns and they make a set especially for AR's that will not need a riser block to bring them to the correct height.

I would highly recommend either type LaRue or Warne, if you will need the scope moved forward for eye relief the LaRue is probably your best bet.

Trapr

Good Point. On the 556 I have alot more rail to play with. Brownells sells some rail adaptors to gie you more eye releaf you yould need to use lower rings to compensate though.

Mule

I bought the Weaver V3 too, and I'm very satisfied with the optical quality at the price point. The mount that I used with my flattop AR was the model 1 sales as sold from Midway for $65, it fits over my Matech BUIS and is rock solid. Although it uses two screws to attach to the upper, ala the carry handle, you can take it off and on without losing zero. I use the bultler creek scope caps. This mount is very easy to use and you should be able to install the scope yourself.

My Weaver used to sit in Weaver rings on top of a riser.

Now I use a 1 Pc mount with integral rings from a gunshow, though Armalite makes a similar mount of excellent quality. BTW - the mount loosened before the last Mason-Dixon and cost me a stage (an Armalite and/or locktite would prevent that).

If you have the money to burn, the LaRue's quality is beyond question.

You will need some kind of cantilever riser mount to get the correct eye relief. I put a V3 on my backup rifle. I did not want the expense of tha LaRue (which I DO have on my primary rifle), so I went with the PRI 2-hole riser mount plus some no-name rings I had laying around... the whole rig seems to be holding zero OK. Photo of the rifle:

Midlength3-GunTacScopeAR15.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I used the Warne medium rings on a Rock River Arms Scout mount to get the correct eye relief with the V3. Half the price of the LaRue. If your not taking the whole optic on and off, the return to zero of the LaRue is a non-issue. $65 for the Scout mount, and $55 for the Warne rings.

You really should look at the Armalite. I have the Weaver 1-3 on 2 rifles with the Armalite one piece mount. It's solid probably just as solid as the LaRue, but isn't quite as easily removed/reinstalled. It allows the scope to be mounted forward for eye relief.

Just did a Google search and came up with this source. I don't know anything about the sellers, but that's about as good a price as you'll find. http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/or...ProductID=16626

I understand about the expense of the La Rue, but keep in mind, once you buy it, you can keep it forever. If you buy lower quality equipment, one day you will replace it with better. How many cheap holsters do we all have laying around? If you buy the good stuff the first time, you eliminate a lot of lost time and headache. You will not be sorry with a La Rue, ever. If you buy one and don't like it, call me and I'll buy it from you. They are great people to deal with also, and they know their stuff about their product. There are other things that work, and do fine, but I put my scope in their mount, and took it out. At 50 yds I was two clicks right and one click up and it was punching holes out of the x ring. There was none of that "get it on paper" stuff, it was on out of the box.

While there is some merit to the whole "buy once, cry once" argument for things in the shooting sports, especially optics and 3-gun related stuff, sometimes it is just not needed for plinking or gettting started. The guy bought a cheap scope to save money.... Warne rings, and the Armalite mount (I've used both) all work just fine, as long as your eye relief is ok... and they are not "low quality", just not as trick as the Larue stuff. Lets get the guy shooting with what he has, in his desired budget. If later he decides he needs a Meopta and Larue mount, he can do so - and probably sell his Weaver and Warne rings for 90% of what he paid for them.

3-gun has a false perception/image that you can't play unless you have a tricked out Benelli, a JP rifle, and a full on Limited or Open gun..... but you can play with a box stock DPMS rifle, Mossberg, and Glock, and be semi-competitive. Maybe not "top" level competitive, but at least you are in the game.

My 2 cents, get shooting , figure out what you want to add to your setup, and upgrade later if you get the bug.... thats half the fun for some people.

Signed,

An Occasional 3-Gun Shooter

To stay in line with the good value flavor the weaver scope look at the Leupold Rifleman Rings. They offer an extra high model that is 1.4" off the flattop that is perfect for most folks on the AR. They run about $20 at Wally World. I have had great luck with them.

I understand about the expense of the La Rue, but keep in mind, once you buy it, you can keep it forever. If you buy lower quality equipment, one day you will replace it with better. How many cheap holsters do we all have laying around? If you buy the good stuff the first time, you eliminate a lot of lost time and headache. You will not be sorry with a La Rue, ever. If you buy one and don't like it, call me and I'll buy it from you. They are great people to deal with also, and they know their stuff about their product. There are other things that work, and do fine, but I put my scope in their mount, and took it out. At 50 yds I was two clicks right and one click up and it was punching holes out of the x ring. There was none of that "get it on paper" stuff, it was on out of the box.

That's great, but just as much a function of the machining of your upper receiver rail, scope manufacturing tolerances, barrel installation, comp/flash hider mounting, etc, as it is a function of the scope mount. Considering all the variables involved, you were lucky. :cheers:

Check your junk (parts) drawer or the used table at your local gun shop. I had a set of Millette angle lock rings floating around and got the Rock River Riser when I ordered my upper. I also found a screaming deal on a Leupold VariX2 3-9x40 take-off ($150 US). I know that this is not the prefered scope for 3 Gun, but this rifle is a critter gitter first and a 3 Gun rifle second :ph34r: . The point here is to look at the used bin/table and you can find some good deals that work.

BTW the Lupy is an order of magnatude better than the old Simmons 3-9x40 that I had put on it <_< , but again that was what was in the junk drawer when the upper arrived.