Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"U" dies

mrm79

I was...and just switched over to the standard dillon die to reduce the sizing stroke effort a little. I plan to load a few hundred and see if any fail the case guage. I'm also using the factory crimp die, so the U die may have been a bit of over or "underkill"

Using the 550, so the higher end presses may not have the same effort required in sizing...

SA

They only cost an extra $5 or something. The biggest advantage is they size further down the case but you also get a bit more neck tension on the bullets which can help in keeping tight OAL tolerances with .355 bullets.

Steve, I have a 550 and a 1050, both with EGW undersize dies and factory crimp dies. The 1050 takes a lot more effort than the 550.

Definitely use an undersize die. Get it from EGW

(Edited by kbear38S at 5:25 am on Jan. 3, 2003)

I'm not loading super yet, but with 45, and 40 I've found that the U die doesn't cause so much press jerkiness, as the powder funnel.  Which makes sence since we are getting a little tighter with the die and in turn the funnel then gets squized a little more.  So when I load 45 I use my 40 powder funnel, and when loading 40 I use a 9mm powder funnel.  This does away with the jerk of the press on the return stroke, no more primers shooting across the bench as I muscle the powder funnel out of the case, and I use less one shot.  Maybe with a super you could use a 380 powder funnel or one from a riffle conversion????

Hey it has worked for me.

(Edited by davecutts at 6:38 pm on Jan. 6, 2003)