Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G19 is on its way

colbyjack

well i broke down and ordered my first glock. wish me luck and point me to things that are a must or things i can do to improve my glock. thinking trigger job first. then maybe finding someone to stipple. im pretty excited about my first glock, cant wait till it gets here. -chris

I also have a Glock 19 and I love it.

Shoot it for a couple of hundred rounds, so you can see the 'wear points' in the trigger system and polish those a little (or let it done by someone with 'Glock knowledge')...............then put a set of decent sights on it.

It all depends on what you would use your g19 for.

If it's geared toward self defense, an absolute must is a good set of sights, I used heines, but I've found that the current batch is softer steel than previous, you really really need to tighten and loctite the set screw and the FS screw. If not they will shot loose after 200 rds (that's my experience).

I've had good luck with aro-tek sights (target rear and tritium front), they are very light, and you can drift them by hand (rear sight is a two-piece item with two set screw), however, the sight picture is similar to novaks, some like it some don't.

If you want a crisp sight picture, the warren tactical sights, are outstanding, for me they are the best self defense sights on the market.

As for trigger job, I use OEM striker, striker spring, but a 3.5 LWD connectr, and a slightly modified trigger bar to reduce slightly the amount of pretravel.

I've found that polishing is needed only on the nose of trigger bar and top of the striker safety nub.

I tried a steel guide rod and ISMI 13lbs spring. Never had an hiccup, never a malfunction, with anything.

Don't use a plug, imho you can do magazine changes more efficently without one.

Hope it helps.

Wardog nailed it. What do you plan to use it for? It works out of the box. For competition, ask other competitors (in the safe area) to look over their sights, to get an idea of your preference. I prefer Dawson FO in the front, and Heinie or Sevigny/Warren for the rear. The stock sights will look prehistoric compared to what most game guns are using. You can do a 25 cent trigger job with some springs and connector, but I would suggest putting some miles on it before worrying about changing out parts. Get comfortable with the Glock style trigger and riding the reset. Welcome to the world of polymer perfection (almost).

ColbyJack, before you stipple the grip or even work the trigger, you should shoot a case or two through it. I love my G19, but not everyone likes the Glock after they buy it. If you don't "improve" anything, I believe you'll find it easier to sell should you not like it. One thing you'll notice right off is it points high due to the grip angle; after shooting it a bit you'll get used to that and automatically adjust. But like I said, I love mine, it's the only auto I own. :)

If the sights are fixed the only way to adjust them is to drift the rear for windage if needed, but unlikely.

If you ever have the desire to shoot IDPA do not stipple that grip, instead try some grip tape like tru-grip.

well its here, what ya think??

trigger gaurd rounded, gun vapor blasted, mag button releaved a bit and 3.5 pound trigger. it looks like fun cant wait to shoot it. -chris

What is vapor blasting?

A G19 is a great self-defense gun as is, out of the box. It was my first Glock and I still shoot it regularly. Don't change a thing to it for at least a couple months. Break it in first and get use to it - good 1000 rounds worth.

The best trigger job you can do is to sit with it at night and dry fire it over and over again. That will wear in the moving parts. After a couple months of use, you will be surprised at just how smooth the trigger becomes. At that point, you can remove the guts and use a little Flitz to smooth things out a bit.

Once you are convinced you are happy with the gun, then you can think about replacing the sights. Everyone says a defensive pistol needs night sights, but in my opinion they are a waste. If it is dark enough for them to work, you can't see what you are shooting at anyway. I like a plain black rear sight and a fiber optic front. Some people like fiber front and back. Find someone who has them and try them out.

I see you already have the 3.5 connector. To be frank, I prefer the stock connector in the G19. It's not a target gun and the lighter trigger can lead to premature shots. And once the stock connector is worn in and you learn good trigger control, it works just fine.

Edited by Graham Smith

Hello: I am guessing but I think he is trying to say media blasting. You can use sand, walnut or soda to give different textures. Looks like aluminum oxide on the frame to me. I could be wrong though :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

yeah the vapor blast is a very small/fine glass beads we got at the shop. turned the PSI down real low and held it back. just kinda to blend in the frame where we rounded the trigger gaurd. then i liked the dull look, so we did the whole frame. i like it and yeah the trigger is way to light for a defense gun. it feels like my 1911 3 pounds or so. im not sure it got polished, spring kit by wolff and that 3.5 lb ghost part. sorry guys im still learning the terms of the gun parts.. ;) -chris