Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oko red dot sight

slidelock1

Normally, on my open gun (STI 2011-.38super) I use a Bushnell Holosight, which I love. However, after two shoulder surgeries it has become clear that weight is a problem. I have researched all of the red dot sights, and the Oko seems to be the one of the lightest and brightest. Does anyone have any experience with these sights with regards to reliability, warranty, factory help, etc.? I have a C-more and it is only slightly lighter than my Holosight, and the Oko is nearly four ounces lighter than the Holosight! And at arm's length ounces DO make a difference in the weight of a pistol.

As an aside, do you have any other lightening ideas? I have already removed the aluminum magwell (and that helped). I am also planning on removing the brass magazine weights.

Normally, on my open gun (STI 2011-.38super) I use a Bushnell Holosight, which I love. However, after two shoulder surgeries it has become clear that weight is a problem. I have researched all of the red dot sights, and the Oko seems to be the one of the lightest and brightest. Does anyone have any experience with these sights with regards to reliability, warranty, factory help, etc.? I have a C-more and it is only slightly lighter than my Holosight, and the Oko is nearly four ounces lighter than the Holosight! And at arm's length ounces DO make a difference in the weight of a pistol.

As an aside, do you have any other lightening ideas? I have already removed the aluminum magwell (and that helped). I am also planning on removing the brass magazine weights.

How about using one of the new Optima style sights (jpoint, firepoint, doctor, etc.) There are about five different manufacturers.

Oh, and if you really need to go light, buy an open glock!!

Hey man

I love OKO and I wish they still would sell to us. I have one on my STI with an 8 MOA dot. For some reason OKO is not selling to us anymore so they won't be readily available. No doubt they are a fantastic sight. If you like the Jpoint style sights then that would be your best way to go.

Keep that shoulder strong. Hope this helps a little.

C-More Serendipity is really light without the mount, the OKO is going to need a mount so you gain back at least two ounces there. I would think the Serendipity is lighter than an OKO with mount and screws.

I had a Doctor sight frame mounted on my .45 for a few years. It finally broke due to recoil and it is out of warranty, so, I'm screwed. And when I called Doctor, they suggested that the sight will probably be unrepairable and I would have to buy a new one. Anyway, for some reason it wasn't my favorite set-up. I tried a C-more for a while and when it started malfunctioning I called the factory. Boy, the guy there was less than helpful. I would think twice about buying another C-more with their attitude! So, what's left Aimpoint or Oko? Aimpoints are quite pricey and they come with a small dot; Oko seems to be the next best choice if they are reliable.

I had a Doctor sight frame mounted on my .45 for a few years. It finally broke due to recoil and it is out of warranty, so, I'm screwed. And when I called Doctor, they suggested that the sight will probably be unrepairable and I would have to buy a new one. Anyway, for some reason it wasn't my favorite set-up. I tried a C-more for a while and when it started malfunctioning I called the factory. Boy, the guy there was less than helpful. I would think twice about buying another C-more with their attitude! So, what's left Aimpoint or Oko? Aimpoints are quite pricey and they come with a small dot; Oko seems to be the next best choice if they are reliable.

Uhm, Aimpoint COMP models come with as large as a 10 MOA dot and since they aren't the trick of the day, used ones in like new condition are plentiful and quite cheap. I have been using them for years on multiple open guns and haven't paid more than $150.00. New COMPs run $300.00 if you shop around. The Aimpoint 10 MOA dot in my opinion is really the equivalent of a larger size Cmore dot because they are by design sharper and brighter. I run a 7 MOA and I never use the highest setting. They also have a well deserved rep of being the most reliable tube dot you can buy.

Uhm, Aimpoint COMP models come with as large as a 10 MOA dot and since they aren't the trick of the day, used ones in like new condition are plentiful and quite cheap. I have been using them for years on multiple open guns and haven't paid more than $150.00. New COMPs run $300.00 if you shop around. The Aimpoint 10 MOA dot in my opinion is really the equivalent of a larger size Cmore dot because they are by design sharper and brighter. I run a 7 MOA and I never use the highest setting. They also have a well deserved rep of being the most reliable tube dot you can buy.

I did not realize Aimpoints came with a 10 moa dot, wow! Any idea on weight?

Nope, but I didnt notice the weight difference as significant when I switched from a Cmore years ago. It is easily one of the lightest major components on the gun so there are much more significant weight reductions to be had looking in other areas. I have been through my lighter is better phase in open guns already. After a painful bout with tendinitis, my shorty open gun is gathering dust in the safe and my wife and I are both shooting full size 5" setups.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience with OKO's, they are less reliable than Cmore's, that's for sure.

Depending on the generation of your docter, the latest Gen', IV, has proved to be the most resistant of them all. All the others had major wiring issues, and simply stopped working after awhile. Trijicon just came out with a version of their docter sight, and even cmore are working on one(There's a thread about the STS).

For a mount, try to find one or create one from Carbon fiber(SVI's mount and tanfoglio's are good examples).

There is a Cmore from aluminum, but it has some more weight to it.

Aimpoint has a micro version of their famous sight and there are currently many aftermarket mounts for it.

Magwells - SPS has a matching 2011 grip with an integral magwell. It's a bit thicker(Trigger guard)than the normal 2011 STI/SVI ones, but it might work for you.

Slidelock,

I have no way of knowing exactly what shoulder problems/surgeries you have undergone. But, I have undergone total replacements of both shoulders...let's hear it for titanium and teflon. No offense intended, but IMHO strengthening your shoulders (deltoids, etc.) muscles would produce better results than paring a few onces on the the pistol. Whatever you do...keep shooting and best wishes.

A-G

the downside to less weight is more recoil(which happens faster the lighter the pistol is)

i think lightening the pistol is going to do more harm than good in your case..

a person could reason that a faster, harder recoiling pistol is going to cause more damage than a gun thats a few ounces heavier.

Harmon