Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a new ejector...

SLM

My spare gun needs a new ejector put in it and I was wondering if they come with the hole for the retention pin. I'm guessing not due to frame variances but figured I'd ask. I really don't want to have to send my frame out to have a new ejector fit. :(

Ryan, order a Brazos ejector, if the gun is right it will work, if the gun is reasonable it will work, all of the important shaping is done. All you have to do is mark the leg and file the half round for the pin. Piece of cake.

Thanks guys!

Howard, on the Brazos one... The Brazos tuned or just the "regular" untuned one? The gun is reasonable now but no where near what I'd like. 6 or 7 failures to eject in ~400 rounds is NOT good. The one in it is set up for 38 super/comp I think as the gun came with a 38 super barrel also and the ejector is SHORT. Not to mention it has a tendency to eject brass forward?!?! It did come with two extractors... One for 38 super and one for 9mm.

My primary gun has a Wilson Combat extended in it. Talk about LONG! I load to 1.175" and if I get a round that tends to the long side of that it makes unload and show clear a bit tough sometimes because rounds will catch between the slide and ejector!! None of that fancy rack it out slowly into my hand or flip it up in the air stuff for me... Zing the racker and get that sucker out of there!! Never a failure to eject though!!! That I like!

I looked at the SVI one which is actually cheaper than the Brazos tuned one.

I have fitted several ejectors like the untuned ones from Brazos with only a dremel. Go slow, read Bob's page on how to tune one and you should not have a problem.

However, I did have to work on almost every surface to make sure it fit the frame, did not contact the slide, and did not touch the rounds in the mags. It takes time and patience but I have never felt like paying big $$ for something that is really not all that hard to do. The real trick is getting the back to match the back of the slide (don't do it with it in the gun or you will ruin your finish).

Ryan, get the tuned one from Brazos, if the gun is close it will work. That said, I haven't used the caliber specific SV ejectors.

Typically I will put a Brazos in a gun, if it works great, if not I will fit and make an oversized ejector specifically for that gun. Not all guns are going to sing with a Brazos tuned ejector but it is by far the friendliest 'do it yourself' ejector I have seen.

Thanks. I'll order one up and give it a shot. I guess my biggest concern is/was the cut out for the pin. Somehow I never thought about filing it. I don't have access to a mill anymore. I'll worry about making the back end look good once the front end is doing its job, LOL.

Worse comes to worse I'll send it back to Wisconsin with my buddy Rich and have him drop it off with you Howard! :roflol: