Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering Press and accessories.

islandtime

I'm about to order my first reloading press and everything else needed to get started. I have put together a good list but thought I'd post it here so someone could tell me if I'm missing anything.

I will be reloading .40 for a Glock 35 and a M&P40. I have done a good bit of reading/research and found that most reloaders recommend a Lee resizing die to help take out the "Glock Bulge". Opinion is that it sizes the brass further down the case that other brands. Any thought's pro or con on this are appreciated.

XL 650 press

.40 dillon dies

case feeder

strong mount

aluminum handle

bullet tray

electronic scale

digital calipers

4 small pistol primer tubes

primer fliper

case gauge

tumbler and media separator

small funnel

dillon replacement parts kit

bullet puller

Lee resizing die

Mr Time,

Welcome to the forum. The standard answer to your query is to order your stuff from our host, Brian Enos. Call him and he will go over your list to make sure you get what you need.

Later,

Chuck

I will be reloading .40 for a Glock 35 and a M&P40. I have done a good bit of reading/research and found that most reloaders recommend a Lee resizing die to help take out the "Glock Bulge". Opinion is that it sizes the brass further down the case that other brands. Any thought's pro or con on this are appreciated.

Instead of the Lee resizing die, I would suggest the EGW U-Die for resizing cases.

Instead of the Lee resizing die, I would suggest the EGW U-Die for resizing cases.

Ditto on the U-die!!! Especially for Glock brass

Just some thoughts...

Funnel - what for?

Bullet puller - I never use one, mostly because they break, and the recurrring cost of replacement is much more than the cost of the lost components.

Scale - 0.1 accuracy is not enough for IPSC. There is a significant difference between 5.46 and 5.54 (both read 5.5)! I use a cheep balance beam scale instead of my electric one.

Bullet tray - OK because it's a special size. However, don't waste the money on the miscelanous Dillon plastic bins. Buy them at Lowes or Home Depot. They are the exact same thing, and cost a lot less.

Oh, and start without the case feeder! Run your first 1000 rounds manually. You'll still reload quickly, but will also learn a lot. Once you're bored with that, then add the case feeder.

I use the funnel for pouring back into the jug.. it helps..

You might get more primer tubes? So you can load a decent amount at a time. I'd get at least 4 more.. maybe 8 more.

Digital Scale all the way! I'll be counter to jeff.. for IPSC.. it's close enough.. just make sure when you chrono.. you have enough cushion. If you're geting good, low SDs on your loads.. nothing to worrt about.

Tumbler.. that's a whole 'nother thread.. lol

Jason,

the list looks fine to me. Of course you will eventually decide what you like or dislike through experience. But what you are starting with looks fine. I use a Lee sizing die but I've heard nothing but good about the EGW. It's probably a preferrence thing. The poster that suggested that you contact Brian Enos via phone was right on track. My son ordered my 650 with Brians assistance. I've had no problems. He has a setup that is called "the way it ought to be"... I think that's the name of it. It pretty much covers everything you need. Don't spend the extra money on the roller handle. I have one that I don't use ( I don't like them) I'll let you use it and if you like it make a real good deal on it.

As for tumblers. Everyone makes a tumbler. I bought my first two from Midway and the only reason I didn't buy another was that I wanted one bigger than they had. I bought the large Lyman tumbler. But I tumble A LOT of brass. While you are getting, buy some brass polish. It takes a tablespoon or so each batch but really goes a long way to help you brass look good.

dj

I use the funnel for pouring back into the jug.. it helps..

You might get more primer tubes? So you can load a decent amount at a time. I'd get at least 4 more.. maybe 8 more.

Digital Scale all the way! I'll be counter to jeff.. for IPSC.. it's close enough.. just make sure when you chrono.. you have enough cushion. If you're geting good, low SDs on your loads.. nothing to worrt about.

Tumbler.. that's a whole 'nother thread.. lol

If you set your powder measure and forget about it (and hope it doesn't change on it's own) then I agree that the scale doesn't matter much. However, if you change it, returning to the same setting is almost impossible. My loads, on average, change by 14fps within the margin of error of 0.1 gr in my electronic scale.

I do agree that electronic is the way to go. I hate my balance beam scale, but am to cheap to buy another electronic scale. All I'm really saying is that if I bought another electronic scale, it would have an accuracy of at least .05 grains (.01 preffered.)

Of course, I might be a bit anal about things. I like to plot the distribution of bullet weights and powder charge throws and calculate the confidence intervals of making my target power factor.

Edited by Jeff686