Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Trainer

el pres

I am going to buy a .22 trainer. I'm down to a short Buckmark (which feels the best to me),

a short 22/45 (feels familiar), or a new Marvel 2011 conversion (dont like the price of the mags :angry2: )

I shoot an STI 2011 in Limited, what would be your choice and why ???

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I have a buckmark 5.5 target and love it. I have several mags and overall it is a great gun to teach new shooters with. Also makes a great fun day of plinking. This gun is incredibly accurate as well. I have shot it at Perry in the past.

I have a Marvel that is a sweet gun as well. I got this mainly to practice shooting the centerfire guns. I could swap top ends and call it a long practice session with the same trigger etc. Now the problem is as you stated cost of mags. Also some reliability issues with a batch of mags that came out about 3 years ago.

My first .22 pistol was a ruger mk2. Overall just never really became one with the gun. I know lots of people that shoot them quite well, but I was not happy with the trigger on the one I had and it was before volquartsen started doing work on them.

I hear Tactical Solutions is making a .22 conversion for the STI. Tactical Solutions

I'm waiting for one to try out.

Yep. Here it is.

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

I decided to build a dedicated 22 pistol. I need to texture the grip to match my Open and Limited guns. Ordered it with the rail and have a C-More Railway just for this gun for working on the Open gun. It weighs about the same as a 1911 and is WAY too much fun to shoot. Didn't think I could burn through 500 rounds so quickly last weekend. You REALLY watch the sight with these things 'cause well...they don't move that much and so now you know what to see.

Rich

I have at least one of everything you mentioned except the TacSol and like to shoot all of them including two Marvels that are 100% reliable. It is a matter of personal preferrence. Yes the hicap mags for the Marvel are pricey and there is no where to buy them cheaper.

Another very nice reliable gun if you can find an original in good shape is a High Standard Supermatic Citation Military, feels just like a single stack 45.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I hear Tactical Solutions is making a .22 conversion for the STI. Tactical Solutions

I'm waiting for one to try out.

Yep. Here it is.

I decided to build a dedicated 22 pistol. I need to texture the grip to match my Open and Limited guns. Ordered it with the rail and have a C-More Railway just for this gun for working on the Open gun. It weighs about the same as a 1911 and is WAY too much fun to shoot. Didn't think I could burn through 500 rounds so quickly last weekend. You REALLY watch the sight with these things 'cause well...they don't move that much and so now you know what to see.

Rich

I want, I want, I want !!!

Ya, how are the mags and where did you get it ??

Tac sol website: out of stock backordered !!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

For training, it is impossible to get a 22 better than a conversion kit. The mk2/3 in std or 22/45 varieties and the buckmark are wonderful pistols, but there's a lot to be said about being able to run your holster, frame, grip, and trigger (caveat here - some 17 and 19lb mainsprings won't have enough power to light a rimfire consistently) identically to your comp setup. The only difference becomes recoil and weight/balance. The Ruger's and Buckmark's will run more reliably, but most of the conversion kits are 'close enough' once you figure out what ammo works the best for you/it.

I'd say Marvel/STI or TacSol kit. Mags for a widebody are NOT going to be cheap, no matter how you skin that cat.

Edited by Krautwagen

I have a Buckmark. I used it alot!

I got a Wilson/Marvel. Used it but did not like the mags that much and it leaded up pretty quickly. My fault not the guns. Sold it to a friend. He is very happy with it. Finicky on the ammo. CCI the best and least amount of lead.

I have a TS that fits my Single Stack and Wide Body. I just ordered two mags for my wide body. I shoot only CCI, I run a pretty light mainspring.

The TS is awesome! I put a couple thousand rounds through it. The mags are great. The service folks are awesome. PM me if you want more info. The front desk personnel are a little slow but friendly and nice.

Go with the TS and you will not be sorry.

That said, a friend modified the grip on his Ruger 22/45 to be exactly like his Para. He puts 10s of thousands of rounds down it. It shows in his game. He has dramaticly improved.

Bottom line: 22s are great for getting a lot of rounds of practice in! It will pay off.

DC - I got it from TacSol. I think the wait was somewhere around 4-6 weeks. Mags aren't cheap, but they are machined aluminum and are HEAVY.

Break-in was too much fun. The only downside is 10 round mags. :D

Rich

Ordered 2 TacSol uppers yesterday !! :cheers:

One for me and one for a friend of mine. Looks like they have only 2 left, appearently

there is threaded and non-threaded versions for suppressors.

Funny, gave you guys three choices and I ended up with the "forth" ?? :blink:

I have an Advantage Arms conversion for my Glock and it is great - for some things. For example, I can hang a set of paper plates and I have my own plate rack. It's also very good for draw and fire practice and point shooting. Where it falls down is in double taps. There is no way to simulate the kind of muzzle flip you get with your regular gun.

Now what about ammo ??

I hear that the CCI stuff works the best, where can I get it bulk at

a reasonable price. Sportsman's 50 rnds for $7.99 is not what I'm looking for !! :surprise:

Any Wallyworld stuff that works good ??

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I seem to remember that I used the Marvel mags with my TS. They were not reliable. I could not use the TS mags in my Trojan so not sure if they work with Marvel.

I pay less than $6.59 per 100 at Wally World for CCI. My friends use the cheap stuff in their TS but they have a heavier mainspring.

I also purchased a bore snake. I run it every 100 rounds or so. .22 are dirty no matter what. CCI is cleaner than most but it is easy to run 300-400 rounds in short period of time. So I try to clean it a little bit while at the range. It makes the clean job at home a lot easier.

BTW: I re-order the wide body mags more than a week ago and they are still not here. I had them on back order but they easily forget things at TS.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, got my TS upper today. Must say that my first impression is an A+.

Quality is very high, the mags appear bulletproof. Solid aluminum with the

weight of a loaded S-I mag !!! :)

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER