Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP: 155, 200 or 230 grains?

Duane Thomas

I've fired quite a few rounds of Laser-Cast 200-gr. LSWCs through my .45. I really have no complaints, but you're always looking for something better. I've read a lot about various powders shooting softer. Read my post on recent experiments with "soft shooting" Universal to get my thoughts on that. Honestly I'd think you'd have a far more profound effect on recoil characteristics by changing bullet weight instead of powder. Two options occur to me in .45 ACP instead of the 200-grainers: 155-grains and 230-grains.

With 230-grains I could make a 170 power factor with only 740 fps versus 850 fps with the 200s. I'd expect more muzzle flip but softer recoil. With the 155s at 170 I'd have to drive the bullet to 1100 fps. I'd expect less muzzle flip but considerably more snap. And a hell of a lot louder. What do you guys think? I've got some 155-grain LSWCs and 230-grain RNLs coming from Laser-Cast, and I plan to experiment with all three bullet weights, and various powders. I'd just like to get the thoughts of the Enosverse group mind on this one. What's best?

Y'know, before I became a serious competition shooter I used to listen to the IPSC guys obsessing about bullet weight and powder charges, looking for the ultimately controllable load for their gun, and I thought that was rather silly. I'd sneer internally - never out loud, of course. I figured if they couldn't do it with factory ammo, or factory equivalent ballistics, that was kind of wimpy. Now I understand. It's not that we can't shoot factory ammo well. It's just that, when you get to a certain level, you become really impatient with anything that interferes with your shooting as well as possible. Lesson: Never sneer at any opinion expressed by someone who inhabits a world you're not a part of. Because the reason what they're saying makes no sense to you is probably that you simply don't know enough about the topic under discussion.

Duane, I think your assumptions are right. I did notice a lot of difference going from N340 to N320. N320 is sooo much softer. With bullet weight it's exactly what you say. The heavier, the more it flips, but it's softer and not so loud. That's why I shoot 230's. I would expect the 155's to be really snappy.

In the end, it's all about what you like best. I bet the great shooters can do everything with factory ammo, but the tailor made stuff is just better for the mental game.

I like N320 with 230's, I tried 255's once because I got a screaming deal on them and they worked ok too. I like the softer shooting, less noise myself. The flip doesn't bother me because it seems to recoil more strait up and down than 200's (less torque maybe?)

I'd say bag the 155 idea.  If it's the bullet that looks like the 200 gr. H&G semiwadcutter with most of the weight taken out of the nose, they feed like crap and tweaking a reliable load is a real pisser.  And yes, they are VERY snappy.  They work a comp good, but then, who cares...

I agree with the 200gr SWC clan. Unless you could talk someone out of 185gr JHP's real cheap.

It's a good comprimise of weight and velocity. You will make major easily with a light load of fast burning powder. (N320, SuperTarget, HP38, Bullseye, ya ya ya, the list is endless)

Use a decent loading setup, (you know the blue ones) and you can't lose.

I found the 230's to flippy, and the 155's to snappy (without the benefits of the 38Super or 40S&W).

I think the 155gr projectiles should be relegated to those who still own 45ACP's with comps??????

The 185gr JHP's feed better than everything except a 230gr FMJ but will shoot flatter and will make major at low pressures. Therefore all the advantages of the 200gr SWC. But can be a little expensive to pop lots off.

I use 200gr swc and 4.3gr clays for 860fps in a 4.25" P13 Para, or 185gr JHP and 4.8gr Clays for 925fps as above.

Try anything real fast and go for it.

230 grn lead over 4.6 gr of W231, is a real soft load that power factors around 171.

I use to shoot the 200 gr, because everybody else shot them. I tried the 230s and loved them, softer and more controlable, than the 200s.

I'll echo rishii, the 230's, for me, were much more controllable; the same muzzle rise as a 200, but the gun was back on target faster.  I know, sounds counter-intuitive, but that's the results I got.  I never noticed much difference in the noise (but I wasn't looking for a difference there), but the 200's have a much sharper recoil.

rishii, try WST, it's so much softer than 231.  I made the switch from 231 to WST about a year or so ago.

Agree w/ GMinProd - tried the 185 TC from Westcoast and they are snappy like a .40.  Does anybody win using the .40? Well, sufice to say the 185 by itself will not cause you to loose.  Was it the "best"?? I moved to the 200grn RN since I load for both my STI and a friends Para .45 - no feeding problems w/ the RNs.  Alternatively, the 200 SWC is a good choice - and more reliable than a RN.