Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picture of Holding system on Texas Star

Hey JThompson, did you get the video you mentioned? Sure would like to see it. I think I can reproduce the holding mechanism. Let me know. Bshooter

I didn't do it after the picture was posted.... You still want the video?

JThompson, thanks for the reply. I actually made one of these quite a few years ago. I thought it had been stolen but just got it back from a guy who borrowed it. It was left at a range and he took it without me knowing it. He intended on returning it but I didn't know that. Well, I have it back and it is in good shape. I will definitely take some pictures and try to post them(I am kind of computer illiterate when it comes to these things.) I really enjoy shooting this. Wish I was better. Thanks to all who replied to this. Bshooter

• 1 month later...
JThompson, thanks for the reply. I actually made one of these quite a few years ago. I thought it had been stolen but just got it back from a guy who borrowed it. It was left at a range and he took it without me knowing it. He intended on returning it but I didn't know that. Well, I have it back and it is in good shape. I will definitely take some pictures and try to post them(I am kind of computer illiterate when it comes to these things.) I really enjoy shooting this. Wish I was better. Thanks to all who replied to this. Bshooter

I would appreciate seeing any photos / videos of the holding system.

I shoot at a range that has one like the picture but the other place has a different one with a slightly different system that would most likely be easier to make. The base of the star is cut in a triangle shape and that fits into triangle shaped cut out and uses a spring to hold it in.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
You can’t see a lot of detail from these photos, but two springs hold a linkage over center, the target is located by two 5/16” dowels that protrude approx ¼” into a 3/8” thick plate.

For some reason warpspeed's photo of the holding system is not available anymore. can someone post a picture of the mechanism that shows some detail?

I own a junk yard and I will love to build one for the club (we can't afford one).

Thanks

There are several stars on the market, but the original is the most reliable as far as not getting hangers on. I have shot at least three designs, maybe four. Only downside to the original as I see it is the springs can get shot up. Otherwise, ours is 5 years old and still going stron. Come to think of it, we are stil on the original package of replacement springs sent out with the unit.

Plates have withstood pistol, pistol caliber carbine and shotguns.

Jim

• 3 years later...

I took some close ups of the original design that I copied but looks like I forgot to post them, it's only been 3 years...

Anyway I did find some I took of the one they had a the larue match last year. Fits like a puzzle, super easy to make just not as reliable.

post-6631-0-03232100-1328107917_thumb.jp

post-6631-0-81093200-1328107983_thumb.jp