Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bought a square deal on ebay

I just picked up a used square deal b on ebay today for $225 seemed to be a good deal and it is set up for 45 which is perfect for my SS. I wont be using it for a few weeks as i need to invest in a scale - tumbler - media sperator etc. Are there any common parts that i should check for wear or failure before i use it? any thing that i should look out for or be carfull with while setting it up and during use?

also is there any thing you guys reccomend i buy for it. i think i'll be getting the strong mount for sure. I am new to reloading and want this to go as smooth as possible. ive read dillon presses are the best but stuff does wear over time and i dont want to find out after loading a bunch of rounds that i should have serviced it first.

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by lowetlx

My biggest problem has been flipped primers. Once I figured out the source of the problem, it is easy to fix. In case you ever experience the same thing:

The primer slider moves under the shell plate on the up stroke. The primer plunger is spring loaded and held in the slider by a set screw. Over time and use, the plunger can get taller, working it's way against the set screw. If the plunger is too tall, it will catch on the underside of the shell plate before it is fully underneath the priming hole. It just barely catches, enough to 'twang' the spring and flip the primer upsidedown or sideways. The solution: remove the primer assembly, loosen the set screw on the plunger (thing that pushes the primers into the shell), press the holder down hard, and then tighten the screw.

Other than that, everything that has gone wrong for me has been fixed by replacing the plastic parts included in the 'spare parts' kit. Buy that, and you'll be set.

My biggest problem has been flipped primers. Once I figured out the source of the problem, it is easy to fix. In case you ever experience the same thing:

The primer slider moves under the shell plate on the up stroke. The primer plunger is spring loaded and held in the slider by a set screw. Over time and use, the plunger can get taller, working it's way against the set screw. If the plunger is too tall, it will catch on the underside of the shell plate before it is fully underneath the priming hole. It just barely catches, enough to 'twang' the spring and flip the primer upsidedown or sideways. The solution: remove the primer assembly, loosen the set screw on the plunger (thing that pushes the primers into the shell), press the holder down hard, and then tighten the screw.

Other than that, everything that has gone wrong for me has been fixed by replacing the plastic parts included in the 'spare parts' kit. Buy that, and you'll be set.

Nice bit there Jeff... I had that on my 550 once.

I haven't had the 'flipped primer' problem, but I'll certainly copy-n-paste Jeff's suggestion!

My peculiar SDB problem has been annoying but easy to fix: damaged or warped primer tube magazine orifices (the red plastic thingy, as the guys like to call it). They seem to wear out easily and can halt primering instantly if they're the least bit "off" or stretched or warped. I simply bought a large quantity of them (a few cents each) and just keep them on hand.

The other thing to keep on hand may be an extra shellplate bolt. Mine sheared off right in half one day without prior warning. A sort-of easy fix but the bolt may not appear in the Spare Parts Kit--I can't recall. I now keep an extra one on hand.

Those are the only problems I've ever had with my press after several years. I reload .45ACP and do so without the strong mount... just bolted it to the bench it's on... which is in turn bolted to the wall. Neither item is going anywhere. Strictly solidly mounted by just bolts.. B)

Hello: I would see how it works and take it all apart and clean it. But that is just me. If it looks clean with no rust or other bad stuff I would just use it. Download the manual from Dillon if you don't have one. You really don't need the strong mount just a taller bench. You have a great little press and they work great. Thanks, Eric

My SDB is great and once you learn a few specifics about the machine, you will be well on your way to enjoyable reloading. One thing to watch out for, once in a while fired primers will stick in the inner tube and clog it up. Just pull the blue primer catch cup and run a wire up in it to clear the jam. Down load the manual, as suggested and get the strong mount. That and the bullet tray are great additions to an already good loader. Also, be sure your cases are belled enough with the expander die. If they aren't the bullets will collapse the cases when seated. Other than that, it is pretty simple.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i went ahead and ordered a shell plate bolt a spare parts kit and some extra primer tubes just in case i need any thing. i think i can get by without the strong mount i have a steel automotive shop bench and 2 very sturdy wood benches that i rebuild cylinder heads on that should work great. any other suggestions?

Edited by lowetlx

I just picked up a used square deal b on ebay today for $225 seemed to be a good deal and it is set up for 45 which is perfect for my SS. I wont be using it for a few weeks as i need to invest in a scale - tumbler - media sperator etc. Are there any common parts that i should check for wear or failure before i use it? any thing that i should look out for or be carfull with while setting it up and during use?

also is there any thing you guys reccomend i buy for it. i think i'll be getting the strong mount for sure. I am new to reloading and want this to go as smooth as possible. ive read dillon presses are the best but stuff does wear over time and i dont want to find out after loading a bunch of rounds that i should have serviced it first.

Thanks,

Andy

As others have said, you'll pick things up as you go. I might offer a couple of other suggestions:

1) If you didn't get a manual, download one from Dillon and print it out.

2) Since you are getting the strong mount by all means, get the bullet tray as well.

3) Consider a spare parts kit...contains most things you'll ever need and although Dillon would send most of the items free if needed, having the parts on hand eliminates the wait and you'll "have 'em when you need 'em".

4) IMHO, *most* primer problems on the SDB is caused by over-tightening the knurled cap atop the primer shield and on which, the low primer sensor sits. This causes the primer orifice to become gauled up, flipping the primers into the cup upside down or sideways. Just snug it, that's all it needs.

5) Consider picking up a few extra pickup tubes...enough you can have all the primers loaded for a reloading session according to your shooting habits. If you see running 500 rounds of a given primer size at a session, have the appropriate 5 pickup tubes.

I'd peruse the Dillon site and manual to glean the information you need to make your decisions. The closer you get to where you eventually want to be with 1 shipping fee, the better.

If in doult :unsure: , or if something just dont want to run right call dillon they can usually figure it out pretty quick and tell ya how to fix it or send ya the part to fix it, one of the best warrents I'f ever seen, and to have one rebuilt is only 30 bucks and it's returned like new :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

well i received the square deal the end of last week i mounted it to the bench and cycled it and it seemed to work well. i received my spare parts kit and maintnence kit last night so today i went completely through the press. i noticed the ram was a little loose in the frame so i replaced the L shaped guides in the corners and it is much tighter now. i gave everything a good greasing and wow it runs so much smoother. just for kicks i replaced the decapping pin, the primer punch and spring, the primer roller and the plastic lever that rotates the shell plate. i also replaced the shell plate bolt. The flat blue plastic thing sandwiched between the tool head and frame was distorded under the decapping and resizing die so i replaced it too. i noticed that this is a pre 1998 press as it has the delrin bushings in the links but with some fresh grease they rotate smoothly. This actually worked out quite well as now i have an active knowledge of what makes this thing function and what to look for if something goes wrong. to me the press is like brand new now (had to buy a new low primer alarm as the old one was broken) and the maint kit along with new pickup tubes. i think i saved about 60 dollars over the cost of a new one plus shipping charges so i think i did well.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

If your SDB is 1989 version, then you should know that the frame might crack and break across the back mounting lug. They redesigned the newer ones to strengthen the tab by extending the web. This will probably happen the week before a match.

See where the clamp is holding the press to the door in this pic, the crack will form across the tab near the base.

55e5_1.JPG

This is the new style, and is reinforced.

a68c_1.JPG

I broke mine and a friend broke his in the exact same place. The wonderful thing about Dillon is that they fixed it free of charge, and you will get the new version which has been problem free.

SDB's are great little presses, I have never looked back since I got mine.