Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New limited gun

rjkelso

I am considering spending some doe on a limited gun. I am aware of what's out there and the various pros and cons of each gun. However I would like to know why .40 seems to be the preferred caliber.

Thank you,

Rick

I am considering spending some doe on a limited gun. I am aware of what's out there and the various pros and cons of each gun. However I would like to know why .40 seems to be the preferred caliber.

Thank you,

Rick

Because it the smallest caliber that is allowed by USPSA to make major power factor, there fore more rounds in the tube.

Thank you,

Rick

Because it the smallest caliber that is allowed by USPSA to make major power factor, there fore more rounds in the tube.

Thank you, I guess I should read the rules.

Compared to a .45 w/ the bullet weight at the same velocity, I think that the .40 has a "snappier" recoil and it returns to target faster than a .45, which has a milder, slower recoil. That's how it feels to me. I could be different for others.

What they said...

Plus, it's typically cheaper to shoot .40 than .45. I have several .40 limited guns and one .45. Needless to say I only shot the .45 once and that was when I bought it. Haven't really touched it since.

Pete

Also .40 brass is cheaper than 10mm. Same idea as before with getting the most rounds in the tube while still making major but brass price can affect things too. It is like 9mm major vs. .38sc, for open, same rounds in the mag but 9mm brass is cheaper.

• 8 years later...