Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightning Strike Titanium Safety Plunger

jhgtyre

Mfr: LIGHTNING STRIKE

Helps You Get A Smoother, Lighter Trigger Pull

Extremely lightweight titanium safety plunger reduces mass for a lighter felt trigger pull. Titanium nitride coating reduces friction. One of those small detail that helps complete a Glock trigger job. Includes Wolff safety plunger spring.

After all my ranting and hatred towards Glocks I own one, again! :blink: It is a 19 and is primarily for my kid to shoot. I am looking for ways to improve the trigger pull. I have the 3.5lb connector in it but I need more. The quote above is from Brownell's website. Does the titanium safety plunger do any good? Has anyone used it? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

-ld

I have never used a Ti plunger, but I am totally baffled about how the weight difference from stock could make a substantial difference in friction. The spring is the source of most of the friction, not the weight of the plunger.

I could be totally wrong, but the Ti plungers look like just a way to spend money. Put some 'Glide on the stock plunger and/or polish it if you want to cut the friction. Or, if it's a competition-only gun, ditch the mechanism altogether. The gun will run fine without it.

I'm running the LS Titanium Safety Plunger in all my competition Glocks. I was skeptical at first, but it makes the take-up just a little bit easier. That, a Wolff reduced power striker spring, a 3.5 lb. connector and gobs of polishing are all I've ever done ---- and you can get a decent pull out of that. I'll have to try some aftermarket triggers ----- maybe during the off season.

If you look at the trigger job links the one from dale rhea makes it pretty simple, if your mechanically inclined at all you can get your gun to around the 3 pound range. and for a young shooter i figure thats about as low as you want to go. any lighter and it will not teach good trigger control.

a dremil tool, felt wheel some polishing compound and your set. .. ooh, drill and small drill bit the trigger bar reallly does need moved up.

i have thought about an XP trigger spring there.. but the gun may actually shoot its self at that point. or go off with just the touch of the saftey.

To all,

I have the good fortune to be sponsored by lightnin strike. Randy Powell The owner is really looking at glocks and USPSA and there marketability hard.

I get to try all the goods out and get to make sugestions as how to improve on things. My triger consists of :

LS triger on a stock bar with take up screw installed.

LS plunger ,stock spring with 2 coils cut.

stock 3.5 conector

stock reset spring

stock striker with 4 pound wolf spring .(With open guns and riffle primers I feel the added mass is neccesary)

To me the pluger smoothes out the take up very nicely

Lots of polishing goes into the partsand everything is hand laped together.

my trigers end up at 2.5 pounds. I dont need any thing lighter.what I like to see is short take up and fast reset.

Johnnie

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried a lot of after market Glock parts. I tried the titanium safety plunger and did not notice any difference. If you want a noticeable difference without gunsmithing or permanent modifications don’t use the titanium safety plunger. Keep the factory plunger. Stay with the 3.5 pound connector, (I use the Scherer 3.5 Connector). Then put in a Lightning Strike Titanium Striker, (don’t use the spring that comes with it), get a Wolff Reduced Power Striker Spring and use it instead. That combination makes a “scary” light trigger. Don’t know your kids level of shooting but be advised it is VERY light and has shorter reset. Like 2 pounds light.

Brownells

Wolff Reduced Power Striker Spring: (Part # 969-161-610 single spring $3.49) or

(3 pack, Part #969-161-620 $7.49).

Lightning Strike Titanium Striker: (Part #642-100-001, $75.99).

Scherer 3.5 pound connector: (Part #861-119-035, $18.00).

To complete the package, get a Glock Extended Slide Release, and an Extended Magazine Release. And if you haven’t already, get rid of the factory Glock sights. I use the Heinie Specialty Glock Sight, front and rear, (Part #394-100-320 $50.35). If your hand sweats, get some grip tape. I go to the local skate board shop and grab a piece of skateboard tape and cut pieces and put them exactly where my gripping points are, based on my hand.

My G-17 and G-35 are set up exactly the same and both are awesome.

Folks who I let shoot my guns are instantly amazed at how light the trigger is. Well there you have it. My secrets are out. This combination makes a great USPSA and 3-Gun competition gun.

RAF

Well the kid has a couple of steel matches under her belt, with a third coming this Tuesday night, and the 3.5lb trigger pull is doing just fine. Over the next few months I may try out some of the mods you guys listed, especially the ones that smooth the trigger pull more than lighten it. Thanks for all the advice.

-ld

Hey all ,

little thread drift. Recently I was rebuilding a carburator for my weed eater and just so happened i had aglock apart on the work bench. Iknow not good to mix up things on the bench. when i took out the spring for the carb needle and seat it hit me . I looked at the plunger spring and presto there it was . a supper light plunger spring that is a little longer and gives the plunger full motion with out cuting coils. I robed the spring from the weed eater and tried it in my glock.

the result was almost no take up weight with a 1911 like staging point as the triger sets on the conector. the triger broke clean and reset was un effected.

now al i got to do is get my weed eater running the grass is getting a little long.

Johnnie

• 4 weeks later...

Crpy1,

alredy use that in my range bag along with some duct tape and super glue.

HEHEHEh

realy though might make a good filler in grip reduction if i could find some in black.

I have used bed liner spray in the past but now I just heat up the iron and go at it .

Hey if any one likes A-grip CRPTY1 has a good deal on them.

Johnnie

• 8 years later...

I have the Lightning Strike plungers in all my Glock match guns. Not because of weight and I hate Ti for most applications but because of the profile, they are a little more rounded and provide less resistance so are a little smoother. You can round off and polish your plunger I'm just lazy.

I had a guy who had just recently bought a glock came over to my house and he needed some parts, and he didn't know how to take his gun apart to put the parts that he bought in. So I told him I would put the parts in and show him how to take it apart. I noticed that there was a titanium safety plunger in a bag with some other stuff he got with the gun. I basically put in a 3.5# connector which gave it a nice 4# break, I asked the guy, do you want me to put that titanium plunger in also, and he said yes. I put it in and I must say that it gave a much smoother trigger pull, I want to say it took a 1/4# or a little more off the trigger pull. But I must say it was much nicer than the stock one that was in it.