Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

afternoon, construction will starting on my gun vault this week as soon as the RAIN STOPS!, will have 8 inch. poured concreat walls with 1/4 inch plate steel around it, my insurance man said that ceramic tile on the walls and floor would add it's fire resistance anyone ever hear of this? Also would a golden rod or dehumidifier be better for the vault? it's going to be 8'x10' with a heavy vault door

thanks for any help :cheers:

I have 2 golden rods in my Ft Knox that is 29 by 72.

I have one hanging on each side down between the guns.

I used the one that came with the safe and it didnt work as good and quit working after a few days

any non flammable insulator will add to it's fire and heat resistance, but it's allready got 8 inches of concrete, I cant see the addition of thin ceramic plates giving much more protection.

I lined mine with 2 layers of 1/2" sheetrock. I put it up with construction adhesive.

Not terribly humid here in the Pacific NW. I ran a 110 line through the wall during construction, and installed a dust/explosion proof light fixture out of a grain elevator that was being torn

down. One 60w bulb, on year round---no moisture problems at all.

Bill

Temperature changes are probably the greatest problem. I don't know where you are located but if you have a sudden rise in temperature, as is quite common here in the southeast, you can have a problem with condensation on any cooler metal. That is where a humidifier comes in handy. The less water moisture in the air to condense, the better.

If you can keep the interior of the safe 3-5 degrees above the outside temperature you will seldom have a problem with moisture. I have commercial heat tracing in one corner of my gun safe that keeps the temp about 5 degrees warmer than the ambient temp and keeps the humidity down to about 50% and haven't had any rust problems since I bought the safe about five years ago and it is located in an non air conditioned shop on the end of my carport.

works for me

dj

Last time I checked the concrete didn't burn. The tile will add esthetics AND brightness depending on the color you choose but the main thing is that moisture has an affinity for concrete and will come and go from it. So if humidity is a problem you may want to put a sealer or concrete paint on it so the humidity stays more constant and lower.

Humidity + blued guns = RUST

Good luck

How long does it take for the concrete to stop leaching moisture? I'd probably stick a tank type dehumidifier in there for a couple of months until I wasn't getting much water, then switch to the goldenrod type.

Dehumidifier will make the room hotter than the fires of hell. (I heat my home office in the winter with a dehumidifier) Air conditioning will take the moisture out too. From what I remember, in normal conditions it takes concrete about a year to stop emitting water vapor. It all will depend on where you are.

I think you need a new insurance man.

As for moisture excaping from the concrete, seal the inside after a week and as long as the outside is not covered with some kind of plastic or vapor tight covering the water vapor will be drawn out not in.

I think you need a new insurance man.

As for moisture excaping from the concrete, seal the inside after a week and as long as the outside is not covered with some kind of plastic or vapor tight covering the water vapor will be drawn out not in.

my thoughts to the letter, I asked him the other day what he knew about gun vaults and firearms, he said only what he has read, I told him he needs to keep his comment's to insurance rates, thanks all for the comments and sugestions, now the local zoning board has me on hold for the last two days waiting for the "MAN" to sign the d--- thing, I think I'll seal it with paint and just use a couple of golden rods, anyone having a better ideas I'm all ears :cheers:

not enough info to tell you how to dry your vault, if you covered the exterior with steel you must remove moisture from the inside. What about the floor? water vapor under the slab?

They make a paint for basements / block walls called Drylock i think. It is suppose to keep the moisture out. Perhaps a coating on the inside will help to force the water towards the outside as it cures.

I'd probably let it sit for at least 30 days before I did anything. Let the concrete fully cure first, then seal inside, then use a dehumidifier.