Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

R.I.P.- Scott Kalitta 1962-2008

MarkS_A18138

Some have sand or other things that are designed to slow down the car. I didn't know there was a wall at the end of that... wow. Prayers go to the family.

Ditto on that one. I was shocked when he hit the end of the track. I thought tire barriers were the norm.

I'll pile on here as well about the concrete wall perpendicular to the intended travel path of the vehicle. You would never see that in any other motorsport. A sand/gravel trap would have made a huge difference. Never met Scott but did meet his dad once back in the day. Great guy. Such a pity, such a loss.

I know.... let's have a sport where they go 300+ and put a cement wall/pole whatever, at the end of the track. Morons.

Solong Scotty... I loved to watch you do your thing.

Edited by JThompson

You know, I don't know much about anything but it would seem to me that a tailhook that drops at the same time the chute deploys combined with multiple cables across the track after the normal shutdown area would be a good idea. It works (usually) for pulling aircraft to a halt on aircraft carriers.

Sorry for the thread drift, this is dedicated to Scott but if this sort of safety idea would work and someone reads it here it would be a good tribute.

Edited by Neomet

• 2 months later...