Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL or Lee Loadmaster

OK, I know all you Dillon guys out there are going to holler "Get a 650!".

But, I can't afford a 650!!! (Well, I can technically afford it, but I need to spend my good-will equity with the wife appropriately)

Right now, I've got two Square Deal B's and a Lee turret. I want 5 stations and a case feeder!

My plan was to sell one SDB, and buy a loadmaster and get it running, then sell the 2nd SDB and Lee turret and have some money left over for accessories.

I could do the same thing with the LNL, but still be short some money when I'm done.

The LNL is about $650 with the case feeder and 1000 free bullets. Found a used LNL, but don't know the price yet.

The loadmaster is about $215 with the case feeder.

If I accept that the loadmaster will require a little more tinkering, I think it might work for me.

Opinions between the two?

But, I can't afford a 650!!! (Well, I can technically afford it, but I need to spend my good-will equity with the wife appropriately)

Right now, I've got two Square Deal B's and a Lee turret. I want 5 stations and a case feeder!

My plan was to sell one SDB, and buy a loadmaster and get it running, then sell the 2nd SDB and Lee turret and have some money left over for accessories.

I could do the same thing with the LNL, but still be short some money when I'm done.

The LNL is about $650 with the case feeder and 1000 free bullets. Found a used LNL, but don't know the price yet.

If I accept that the loadmaster will require a little more tinkering, I think it might work for me.

I've seen some pretty good deals on the Lock-N-Load and the older Pro-Jectors on eBay. In fact, I recently bought another Pro-Jector for my dad off an auction. It came with a couple extra shells plates and a few other odds and ends and was about $200 after shipping.

I run a Pro-Jector for .45 and a L-N-L for .40. Both are excellent machines but I actually prefer the older press to the newer one.

Yes. I know the Pro doesn't have the die bushings and can't be used with a case feeder but I like the swinging arm on the older priming system better. I also like that I can run a Lee crimp die in stage five. You can't do that on the LNL without modifications. Also, depending on which dies you use, they might be too short to use with the Hornady die bushings.

I've really got no experience with the Loadmaster. But, a couple years ago, I helped one of my co-workers set up his then-new Lee Loadmaster. At that time, he had no experience with reloading whatsoever and was a little overwhelmed, I think, by all the motions and stations on the Lee. Anyway, I got it set up and running and I didn't think it was too bad a press, especially for the money. I will say that it's pretty freaky. It primes the case when the shell plate is at the top of the press. Maybe Lee thinks it gives more leverage to the priming system or maybe it's so the casing is up inside the press in case a primer detonates. Who knows?

Speaking of primer detonation, I got the Lee set up and loaded a couple handfuls of ammo on it. I told my friend to take it easy and not force anything but he blew the priming system off the press about fifteen minutes after I left. Lee replaced the parts for free and then my friend turned around and sold the press. He then went out and bought a used 550 instead.

Speaking of Dillon, I think I'm the only guy on the planet to have sold his 650 in order to buy the Lock-N-Load! Know what you're getting before you buy and I think you'll be happy with the Hornady product.

Jeff,

I would haunt the classified here and at USPSA and wait for a used 650 to come on the market or call Mick and see if he has one (503-370-8900). Once you have the basic machine and case feeder I can lend 650 "stuff" until you can get your own.

I load for 9X19, 38sp, 357, 40, 45ACP, 45Colt, 223, and 308. They're all set up as "quick changes", just plug and play. I also have all of the case feeder plates except "Magnum Rifle".

Ed

Jeff,

I would haunt the classified here and at USPSA and wait for a used 650 to come on the market or call Mick and see if he has one (503-370-8900). Once you have the basic machine and case feeder I can lend 650 "stuff" until you can get your own.

I load for 9X19, 38sp, 357, 40, 45ACP, 45Colt, 223, and 308. They're all set up as "quick changes", just plug and play. I also have all of the case feeder plates except "Magnum Rifle".

Ed

Thanks Ed. I haven't returned the last stuff you loadned me yet!!

I really love the SDB, but really want a case feeder and 5th station. I've been shooting 800rnds a month (practice + TCGC match). Now that I'm done coaching baseball, I'll probably go over the 1000 rnds/month.

Gotta feed that new open gun!!

I'll check with Mick, but every 650 I've seen is too expensive.

Edited by Jeff686

Jeff, for the money (value) the LM can't be beat. I have one and absolutely love it. Set-up on the LM is a bit more involved than it is on the Dillons and Lee's instructions are a bit lacking, but there are many videos available that really make it a piece of cake. I have mine set up with the case feeder (you'll need the collator which is about 10 bucks) which has run flawlessly. There are some tips and tricks to setting one up, but if you're mechanicaly inclined, watch the videos and have a bit of patience, you'll be fine.

Dillons are excellent machines, no doubt, but if money is tight and you want a fully progressive machine, then you can't beat the LM.

Bronson7

Haven't used a Load Master, but I bought a reconditioned Lee Pro direct from Lee about a year ago and am reasonably happy with it. I expect that sooner or later, I'll want something bigger and badder, but for now this lets me crank out enough in one evening for my needs. But it sounds as if you are already past the stage that I am at and are ready for the bigger and badder. That makes it a tougher decision.

FWIW, I have been fairly happy with Lee equipment. With the exception of the bullet feeder, which is great when it is working right and a real pisser when it isn't (and now resides in a drawer), everything has worked very well and the one problem I had was fixed with a replacement part from Lee in 2 days. For "serious" reloading (whatever that is), the Dillon and Hornady presses my be superior, but I find the Lee equipment is perfectly suited to my needs.

Haven't used a Load Master, but I bought a reconditioned Lee Pro direct from Lee about a year ago and am reasonably happy with it. I expect that sooner or later, I'll want something bigger and badder, but for now this lets me crank out enough in one evening for my needs. But it sounds as if you are already past the stage that I am at and are ready for the bigger and badder. That makes it a tougher decision.

FWIW, I have been fairly happy with Lee equipment. With the exception of the bullet feeder, which is great when it is working right and a real pisser when it isn't (and now resides in a drawer), everything has worked very well and the one problem I had was fixed with a replacement part from Lee in 2 days. For "serious" reloading (whatever that is), the Dillon and Hornady presses my be superior, but I find the Lee equipment is perfectly suited to my needs.

I started loading progressively on a Pro 1000 and have spent many hours behind one. The Pro 1000 is a fantastic little press when you consider the price. I say, and have said before, that if Lee were to make the Pro out of steel and aluminum instead of pot metal and plastic they'd have a wonderful machine that would still be cheap and affordable.

From the very limited time I spent running the Loadmaster, I will say that it seems to be a refined and durable product. It's probably like the Pro in that if it was built out of superior materials it would be $400 and would probably be every bit as good as the Dillon, Hornady, et al.

• 3 weeks later...
I've seen some pretty good deals on the Lock-N-Load and the older Pro-Jectors on eBay. In fact, I recently bought another Pro-Jector for my dad off an auction. It came with a couple extra shells plates and a few other odds and ends and was about $200 after shipping.

I run a Pro-Jector for .45 and a L-N-L for .40. Both are excellent machines but I actually prefer the older press to the newer one.

+1 on the used Pro-Jector! I'm now running a Pro-Jector in .40 and one ( or maybe its a Pro 7) in Super and I don't have $300 in them total. Both came from Ebay with one or two shell plates and everything but dies for less than $150. Its a very stout press and loads 500rds/hr without problem.

• 1 month later...

+1 on LNL. It's quality all the way around from my experience. There are a few spots you can custom fit a little (like the ejector wire) for smoother operation. The priming & powder systems are top knotch- even better then dillon IMO. I've heard too many people popping primers on the LM so I'd avoid it just on that.

I am on the fence with the lock n load but the 1,000 bullet offer makes it especially tempting.

I want to get a new press but I do not want to put that total investment in a 650. Especially when I hear/read about some of the issues people are having with them. Is the primer system really that much better for the lnl??? That is what I would most likely be concerned about. My sdb is pretty darn reliable and I wouldn't want to upgrade my press to just get pissed off with it.