Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bkeeler

bkeeler

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

07/19/08

8 stage Steel match today. Started out with to much tension and rushing the shots worried about speed(not a good thing). My grip however was good and the black front sight worked out better than the red fiber. The first stage shot was 5 to go, I started with a lot of tension and worried about speed did not work out so good. The second stage I shot was Accelarator settled down a bit but not enough still had tension and was not seeing the sight on the stop plate and throwing a hoper the last run I settled down. The third stage I shot was Smoke & Hope started seeing th sight a little better had some ok runs not my best. The fourth stage shot was Down Time didnt do so well got into the speed focus again and noticed my eyes where finding the next target before I completed the shot I was on.(was not watching the sight lift then finding the next target). The next stage I shot was Triad this one I decided to do what I read on one of Flexs post below.

From Flexmoney

"When things go south for me, I am usually caught up in expectations...and not taking care of simply executing.

The fix for me is to mentally "turn up my vision".

Then it's a matter of executing the fundamentals...

- I locate the dead center of the steel

- I get the gun pointed at the dead center of the steel

- I keep the gun pointed at the dead center of the steel until the bullet has left the barrel (which the sights let me know by the front sight lifting in recoil)

I KNOW where then bullet will land, because... I've read the sights and called the shot. My visions is "turned up".

Thanks Flex!

I shot this one really well felt slow but the times were good. The next stage went pretty good as well which was Zig Zag it has a 12" stop plate at 20yds. Then there was down time this one went good also saw the sight well vision was good. The final stage was my best I felt really good after this one Shot all five runs with out a make up shot at all! Just by turning my vision up things ended great.(now I just need to do that at the start of the match!) It is getting there learning something each time out!

Also my STI Eagle from Brazos Custom has run 2500 rds with out a hitch.

Results of match: I finished 1st limited,6th over all. steel_match_071908.doc

BK

Edited by bkeeler

07/21/08

Dry fire 30min

Draw,grip,transitions,strong hand,weak hand.

Things went well getting back to fundamentals. Finding exact target spot, stopping the gun on that spot and watch the sight lift (call the shot) and get moving to next target spot or position. Treat every shot as its own shot.(if that makes sense)

BK

07/23/08

Dry fire 45min

Worked on draw,grip,transitions still working on my grip seeing sights well. Also drawing gun with eyes closed then open my eyes to see where the sights are this has been an eye opener have been seeing the sights aligned on target when I open my eyes. Still working on my grip I think I am thinking about it to much (need to just let it happen or quit trying). But it is working out better than it has been when I bring the gun up my trigger finger is aligned with my weak hand thumb so this is good. Still having a problem with to much tension in my strong hand causing most of my grip problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Found these posts today I think this is exactly what is happening to me so I am going to take the advice and step back and put the guns up for a few days. Havent really been getting a good grip,rushing ect...

Check these out it may help you too!

Slumps, What to do about 'em

The Timer, How Often Do You Turn It Off In Dry Fire?

BK

USPSA Club match on sun have not picked up the gun since 7/23/08 no dry fire today going to just go shoot match on sunday.

TJ is going to be there on sunday to shoot with the people that are taking his class today and tomorrow.

Should be interesting.

After sunday taking a 2 week break from shooting going on vacation w/the family which I am looking forward to. I will post comments and results after sundays match.

BK

07/25/08

Dryfire slow no timer (smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth)

30min

50 draws

25 transitions left to right

25 transitions right to left

25 stronghand transitions

25 weakhand transitions

Well I wasnt going to dry fire today but I couldnt help it. Put the timer away and just relaxed worked on transitions,stronghand,weakhand. Worked on being smooth and looking at the target spot and bring the sights to that spot. Perfect repetitions.

Felt really good to just relax and let things happen smoothly.

BK

07/27/08

Ok didnt go so well this weekend I shot ok on a couple stages.I didnt have a good focus most of the day I was to slow on stages with good points I wasnt seeing things very well. I wasnt staying with the shots on some stages and others I was seeing to much and getting good hits but the time suffered. It wasnt a real bad day I know I can shoot better than this It seemed I was not into the shooting. I will be taking a 2-3 week break from shooting as my performance has been declining the past few matches. Making little mistakes all day and then rushing shots witch is not good. My reloads suffered this weekend I didnt get the reload done before I started moving this caused me to fumble the load. I am going to step back and re-focus. I need to get my consistency back.

EDIT: I have been thinking about this and when I was consistent in other matches I didnt worry about the speed I just shot for points and the speed was what it was (usually faster) I need to get back to this because in those matches I placed much better didnt win stages but won the match in my division. I really need to get back to this I think I need to read Principles of Performance again! In this particular match I had speed on the mind not Alphas on every target.( this is the focus I need to have in matches) Stop trying to win stages. Just shoot Alphas at my current natural speed.(sounds so easy)

results_072708.doc

BK

Edited by bkeeler

The 2-3 weeks I will be taking off I am going to be working on a new training program with the help from Mike Seeklander. I will be putting together more live fire into my training along with dry fire (dry fire will only be 3 15-20 min sessions). The live fire will have drills from Mike Seeklander. I am planing on live fire once a week(wish it could be more) which means I will only be shooting 1 local match a month the other weekends will be live fire training. I will be starting off with a skills test from Mike Seeklander which will take a couple live fire sessions. (Skills test) Then I will start my training program and from time to time I will be doing the skills test to track my progress. I will be posting about my training here for each session.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

I would like to thank Mike Seeklander for all his time and effort. Thanks Mike. :cheers:

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Still working on puting my training program together. I am trying to get my airsoft gun back up and running ordered some parts from Evike yesterday hope this will fix it. I plan on using the airsoft gun instead of dry fire. 3 days of airsoft training and 1 day of live fire.

If anyone knows the fix for my airsoft gun let me know. When I fire it the slide is not comming back all the way to feed a new round and the hammer is only at half cock. I ordered a new loading nozzle, breech(because the old one is cracked) new piston and load nozzle spring. I think the load nozzle is worn and gas is escaping not allowing the slide to move rearward all the way.

BK

• 2 weeks later...

08/11/08

Started the new training program today with my new airsoft gun.

After a 2 week lay off things went very well. I was seeing clearly shot 240 rounds of airsoft working on transitions and reload. The lay out for today was three targets, 2 shots on each reload 2 shots on each. I felt good didnt feel rushed had a few C's,couple D's(not good will be working on that) and the rest A's. Tomorrow will be the same target lay out but strong hand,weak hand with reload. I cant wait!

BK

08/12/08

Airsoft training

240 rounds I decided to continue the same lay out as the day before the rest of the week will be the same. Next week I will be working on strong hand weak hand drills. I felt real good starting to see much better and calling the shot alot better. Had too many C hits but I am working on this. No misses and no D's Things are looking good.

BK

08/14/08

240rds of airsoft training. I wasnt seeing very well on the far target. I didnt have visual patience I was firing the shot before the gun stopped causing a miss and some D hits. After I settled in I was seeing much better. Shot 240rds and had 207 A's,21 C's, 11 D's, 1 M. Had too many D's and 1 Mike this is not exceptable I will be working on this I can not shoot the far targets with the same type of focus as the short ones. Lesson Learned.

BK

• 2 weeks later...

It has been A month since I shot a USPSA match. I have been doing my airsoft training 4x's a week.

Shot A Local USPSA match yesterday and did pretty well. I did have a two mike's on 2 different stages. I did call both Mike's after I fired but didnt make it up like I should have. The other one I couldnt make up due to Virginia Count on the stage. The rest of the day went well.

Back to my training schedule.

082408_Results.doc

BK

Airsoft training 08/25/08

Worked on transition drill.

I noticed something yesterday when shooting the local match it was my vision the first stage I had kind of tunnel vision I saw the front sight but I really didnt see much of anything else.(I think my eyes were glazed over if that makes sense).I think this is why I had a Mike on the first stage.(I did call the shot a miss) After that I opened up my vision where I wasnt really focused on 1 thing.I didnt have a 100% sight focus. I kind of saw the front sight in my vision along with the target seen it lift on each shot my times and transition improved for the rest of the match. I am learning what I can get away with as far as vision is concerned. This is what I was working on tonight in my airsoft training.

I guess I am learning the different Types of focus that BE had in his book. I knew about them but I guess I am learning how to apply them!

BK

Edited by bkeeler

08/26/08

Airsoft training went well shot 240rds had 221A's,17C's,2D's. I shot 98% of the available points. Still working on not getting the D hits but I did call them. Letting my vision take control of my shooting is working out very well. Day off today. I shot the drill the first 120rds smooth and the second 120rds I turned the vision down a bit to see what I could get away with still doing perfect reps.

BK

Airsoft training Monday,Tuesday

Changed drills and only shooting 120rds per session. Reducing the round count lets me stay focused on the fundamentals a bit more rather than just firing rounds. It has been going great with the airsoft training getting 96 to 97% of the available points. Monday I had 104 A's,13 C's,3 D's. 96%. Tuesday I had 107 A's,13 C's No D's. 97.8% Exactly what I am looking for no D's or Mikes. I had two many D's on monday but I am working these out of my practice sessions. Day off today. Start backup on thursday.

The drill is three targets spaced about 4,7,8yds 2 on each reload 2 on each. The target is made from a 8 1/2"x 11" paper with a rectangle in the middle that is 3"x6". Scaled down version of one of Mike Seeklanders Drills. Half starting on near target and half starting on far target. Great drill.

BK

Airsoft Training 09/10/08

I did things a little different to see what I could get away with, I turned my vision down to accept less input before each shot which made for faster times with more C hits(Not that the C hits are great but acceptable now the D hits thats another story not acceptable.) but still getting 96% of the available points.(Notice I didnt say speed up because all I did was turn my vision down to accept less). I did notice by doing this I was over swinging on some of the targets I didnt let the gun stop on each target like I should have. Even when you turn your vision down you need to stop the gun on each target spot. This session I learned alot about what I can get away with! 98 A's 20 C's 2 D's.

BK