Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

“Thinwall” Tru-choke screw-in choke tubes

GunCat

I’m thinking about adding the tooling for 12 ga. “Thinwall” Tru-choke choke tubes to my tool line (already have Rem, Win, and Tru tube tooling). I’d like to hear from anyone using these choke tubes.

Compared to the other choke tubes these can’t be very thick, How do they hold up? Ever had a tube swell and stick in the barrel?

I do not have the true choke brand, but I have a thin wall choke system installed in my mossberg 590. It was done by Briley about 1 1/2 yrs ago in my Hvy-Mtl shotgun cause cylynder bore sucked for that sport. The bbl thickness was not enough for std chokes and briley's solution was the thin wall. They are thin indeed and I had questioned wheather they would hold up. I have had no issues at all and would recomend thin wall for bbls that need it.

I had bad luck with Colonial Thin Wall Choke Tubes. Tried running them in my 1100 setup for 3 gun. Birdshot was fine, but the slugs took their toll on them. Actually ripped a hole in the side of the choke tube in the area it was threaded. Choke was improved cyl, I would not think that to be too tight for slugs. Anyway, replace with another Colonial tube and was shooting birdshot. Whole choke blowed out and barrel split??????