Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New range commands!

Jeff686

"Load and make gravy." I sometimes say this just to prove that no one is really listening.

"I know it is make ready, but I miss the old days when we said load first, besides, next year it will be different.

"Skin that smokewagon and throw down." Not used much, but kinda bold ain't it?

Edited by fomeister

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Load and make gravy." I sometimes say this just to prove that no one is really listening.

"I know it is make ready, but I miss the old days when we said load first, besides, next year it will be different.

"Skin that smokewagon and throw down." Not used much, but kinda bold ain't it?

you've been watching the western channel again haven't you! :roflol:

Nope wasnt me in the video but I watched the hole thing waiting for the weird range commands that didnt come, then I checked the rule book. I honestly feel the best and fairest way to run a match is to follow the letter of the rule book every time and for every shooter regardless of whether or not we feel that particular rule matters much As such I will do better from now on, however I do like the stoke stroke flick and stick.

Start listening at 2:14

Had a shooter this weekend want me to "catch his loaded round" on unload and show clear. I declined saying that I don't touch the gun or anything to do with it.

I started doing this during practice, just to avoid digging the round out of the dirt. Then I accidentally did it at a match! Oops, sorry Mr. RO. I know that's not acceptable, Mr. RO.

Demonstrates that practice does make permanent.

My suggestion for anyone that plans on working bigger matches is that you memorize and use ONLY the approved commands, even at practice. Period.

There are whole squads of shooters that come through at bigger matches where maybe one person speaks English and even then it may not be American English. They are listening for specific words and phrases and if you start them with "Fondle and make lethal" (my personal favorite...I think Floyd Shoemaker was the one that told me that one the first time) they will most probably just stand there or become confused and now you have screwed them over.

Think about how you would feel if you went to shoot in some far off land where English was not spoken and were standing there waiting for those familiar commands and they never came because someone was trying to be funny or plain just didn't know the right commands?

I started doing this during practice, just to avoid digging the round out of the dirt. Then I accidentally did it at a match! Oops, sorry Mr. RO. I know that's not acceptable, Mr. RO.

Heck--I 'flip-n-catch" the live round pretty much every time. I've done it at Area matches, and

on at least 17 of the 18 stages at Nationals last year. No one has EVER said it wasn't

acceptable.

As far as range commands: By the book. At a local club match I will ask a new shooter if they understand the course of fire/have any questions. I will holler "Goin' HOT" on a large field course, especially if there are solid vision barriers or props that could hide a person.

Personally I liked "Load and make ready" better than just 'Make ready".

Bill

Heck--I 'flip-n-catch" the live round pretty much every time. I've done it at Area matches, and

on at least 17 of the 18 stages at Nationals last year. No one has EVER said it wasn't

acceptable.

As far as range commands: By the book. At a local club match I will ask a new shooter if they understand the course of fire/have any questions. I will holler "Goin' HOT" on a large field course, especially if there are solid vision barriers or props that could hide a person.

Bill

I eject and catch in practice, but try and remember not to do it when an RO is there. If I light one off then it's my own fault, but the RO has to be there and out of respect for them refrain unless I space.

I always go by the book and so does everyone at our club. I heard this in a discussion about range commands off the range.

JT

PS I like LAMR too, but I understand the thought behind the change and use the MR command.

Edited by JThompson

acceptable.

Bill

I eject and catch in practice, but try and remember not to do it when an RO is there. If I light one off then it's my own fault, but the RO has to be there and out of respect for them refrain unless I space.

I always go by the book and so does everyone at our club. I heard this in a discussion about range commands off the range.

JT

PS I like LAMR too, but I understand the thought behind the change and use the MR command.

If you light one off it's not a DQ'able offense.

10.4.3.1 Exception – a detonation, which occurs while unloading a handgun,

is not considered a shot or discharge subject to a match disqualification,

however, Rule 5.1.6 may apply.

This is a fun thread :D

One of the funny things that is done at our local-laid-back club, and maybe everywhere, is at the end of the COF if a shooter has failed to engage a target or if they just want to jack with him they will say, "IF" you are finished, unload and show clear. Really emphasizing and drawing out the "IF" so that when a shooter hears that, they automatically say "oh $h#t" and start looking around.

The If done and If clear are official USPSA commands, It puts the responsibility back to the shooter, "Make ready" is used instead of Load and Make ready because we dont always load but we do always make ready. The writers did a good job of coming up with a set of basic range commands that always work and we can say the same thing everytime. It does avoid confusion especially if there is a RO to shooter communication problem due to language or hearing. If we say and mean the same thing always there are only a few things an RO will say and a shooter should know what they are whether he understands the spoken words or not. I also just noticed there is no provision for "Muzzel" or "Finger"...........oopps never mind I see 8.6.1 RO may isssue safety warnings at any time.

to the flick and catch the round guys, D.R. Middlebrook has photo's of the guy's hand that did that at his place. the round detonated right as the guy closed his fist, definitely left a mark.

On occasion I find myself getting tongued-tied with the whole ULSC command string. Usually because the shooter is two steps ahead of my words. But, I will ask a shooter to unholster a gun that I have not seen as clear.

Many years ago at a major match (an A6 to be exact), an RO told me to load and make ready in a normal tone of voice. I did, and got in the start position. He then said, "Are you ready? Stand by." Much louder. You should have seen the look on his face when we hear "Hold it!!! Range is not clear! Stop!!!! :surprise: There was an RO still down range behind a barricade. The RO with timer freaked. He did not know what to do. I held my hands in the air until the other RO came running back behind the start position. The RO with the timer then asked me to unload. When I was clear, he went and sat down for a minute. For that reason, I ALWAYS state that the "Range is going hot." I always look and check for myself, but I will take no chances.

Edited by Jack Suber

I just received my RO certification, and the commands were on the back of the NROI instructors card. So I follow the Make ready... are you ready... standby. Only thing I look for is not the correct starting position and if they shake off the are you ready. I personally allways give a nod or a "yes sir" at the "are you ready" command.

On the other hand, my club match is laid back and guys are always milling around as we are starting a new stage, I always say "going hot". I figure that is just a good thing to do to protect everyone.

The Instructor also mentioned it was fine to ask a new shooter if they understand the COF.

However, if I am ever asked to provide insight on the new rules... I think the timers should not have beeps... they should say "now jerk that pistol and go to work." Seems appropriate and covers all divisions.

I always issue, "The range is going hot!" At which time, I make sure the shooter doesn't move, then I look to the gallery and check for eyes and ears. I have caught more than one person without one or the other. Remember folk, it's safety first. It also gives a last chance, if God forbid, I missed someone downrange.

There is two schools of thought on this... many think the first thing out of the ROs mouth should be the MR. Agree and disagree with that. I have seen people MR with someone asking, "Do you understand the course of fire?" I've also seen people MR on "going hot." I know a guy that doesn't hear well, so I bark the commands if I run him. There is also the language barrier on occasion, but most people, having heard something other than what they recognize, turn to the RO at which point you can nod or hold up a hand for the universal stop/wait. I will continue to issue RIGH unless I'm at a match where the RM/CRO tells me I can not do it.

As I've said many times... if I make an error it will be on the side of safety.

JT

Edited by JThompson

acceptable.

Bill

Just because youi haven't had a detonation yet doesn't mean it's not possible. I don't care what you do when your alone but don't subject others around you at a match to the risk of flying schrapnel.

acceptable.

Bill

Just because youi haven't had a detonation yet doesn't mean it's not possible. I don't care what you do when your alone but don't subject others around you at a match to the risk of flying schrapnel.

Opinions vary on just how dangerous this is. There is just as much risk of schrapnel from a round going off when it hit's the ground. As for flying schrapnel, that's a regular at any match. (sorry for the drift) :rolleyes:

I agree though with letting everyone know that the range is going hot. The way I see it, everything said before "make ready" is outside the sequence of std range commands, neither right or wrong, but the official range commands should be used. I would be a little suspicious if I shot 5 stages and never once heard the correct range commands. It wouldn't help my focus at all.

Saying, "Range is hot" is a general anoucement partially covered by 8.6.1, as in the RO may issue safety warnings at any time, The particular rule deals with assisting shooters but the way it is a side note I would have to say it's covered.

I too agree RIH is outside the range commands which start Make ready and end with range is clear. Which by the way is the last command an RO gives, makes since to say something else to indicate the range is no longer clear.

If you light one off it's not a DQ'able offense.

10.4.3.1 Exception – a detonation, which occurs while unloading a handgun,

is not considered a shot or discharge subject to a match disqualification,

however, Rule 5.1.6 may apply.

You appear to misunderstand that rule. It does NOT alibi you if you "light one off" during U&SC. A detonation is completely different.

Detonation is defined in Appendix A3 (page 55). It concerns a round which goes off due to the primer being struck by the ejector (can you say .40 1911?) or if a primer is struck by an object on the ground when the round is dropped. The key words being "other than by action of the firing pin" and "the bullet does not pass through the barrel".