Jeff686

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Give us a nod when you're ready"

"The shooter indicates that he's ready"

Are these IDPA commands or something?

I only hear them once in awhile but it's often enough that they have to have roots somewhere.

Also hear "Nod or otherwise indicate that you are ready" some. I mean sure you could verbally indicate that you're ready, but there's a creative/twisted part of my mind that always wonders what other options there are.

Ive been doing, If you understand COF you may load and Make ready, give me a nod when ready ,standby beep, if done unload and show clear, if clear slide forward hammer down holster. But I'll change from now on as I went back and got the specific commands. Not sure where I picked it up. The If you understand I think is an older IDPA thing, Current IDPA suggestion book is Load and make ready, shooter ready, standby, beeep, unload and show clear, slide down, hammer down, holster.

Ive been doing, If you understand COF you may load and Make ready, give me a nod when ready ,standby beep, if done unload and show clear, if clear slide forward hammer down holster. But I'll change from now on as I went back and got the specific commands. Not sure where I picked it up. The If you understand I think is an older IDPA thing, Current IDPA suggestion book is Load and make ready, shooter ready, standby, beeep, unload and show clear, slide down, hammer down, holster.

Joe, is that you as the RO in the video?

I've heard some 'modified' and 'obselete' commands used a lot, even heard a lot of funny ones. This one, however, really caught my attention.

And I quote:

"Standby - Beep"

Yep, I've run into Mr. Helpful, too: "Is the shooter ready?"

I focus on the COF, wait for the standby call.

RO Helpful: "Are you ready?"

I patiently wait for the 'standby'.

RO Helpful: "Shooter, if you're ready, let me know."

The only way to get to "Standby" is with an affirmative sign that, yes, I am here with a loaded weapon, I have assumed whatever position is required by the WSB, I am awake and fully cognizant of the (eventually) forthcoming challenge, and it is not by accident or coincidence.

Now having said that, I can't wait for the next time, when I go through all this, and find out that the reason for the repeated, "Shooter are you ready" calls is because I have TOTALLY screwed up the start position and am about to get a procedural . . . :roflol:

I've heard some 'modified' and 'obselete' commands used a lot, even heard a lot of funny ones. This one, however, really caught my attention.

And I quote:

"Standby - Beep"

Yep, I've run into Mr. Helpful, too: "Is the shooter ready?"

I focus on the COF, wait for the standby call.

RO Helpful: "Are you ready?"

I patiently wait for the 'standby'.

RO Helpful: "Shooter, if you're ready, let me know."

The only way to get to "Standby" is with an affirmative sign that, yes, I am here with a loaded weapon, I have assumed whatever position is required by the WSB, I am awake and fully cognizant of the (eventually) forthcoming challenge, and it is not by accident or coincidence.

Now having said that, I can't wait for the next time, when I go through all this, and find out that the reason for the repeated, "Shooter are you ready" calls is because I have TOTALLY screwed up the start position and am about to get a procedural . . . :roflol:

The RO isn't supposed to start you unless you are in the correct starting position. If you have mistaken the starting position, they should correct your starting position and then start you. No procedural unless you creep.

And I quote:

"Standby - Beep"

That's steel match commands. It's preceded by:

"Range is clear, you may handle"

"You may take a sight picture with a safe firearm and load on your own command"

Talk about a screwed up command, I was at a non-USPSA match and an RO was consistently giving the command in the following order:

"load and make ready"

"standby"

"are you ready?"

And at a different match, I got:

"load and make ready"

"are you ready?"

beep - within .5 seconds of the "are you ready" command

The RO gave me flack because I didn't start shooting, threatening to DQ me and kick me off the range.

Edited by racerba

We have some old timers that still use the'nod' command. But I do not think they came from IDPA because we never really had an IDPA club. We had a psuedo-idpa club once but the rules were toooooo constrictive.

There are range commands and then there are Range Suggestions.

Some have roots in fact, others in fantasy.

I like

"You wanna Shoot? well Go ahead and stoke it up Cowboy."

-

"Stoke it, Stroke it, Flick it, Stick it."

-

"Feel free to fondle"

-

"If you are REALLY SURE YOU ARE DONE, then ULSC" for thiose times when there are a couple peices of steel staring at you that just have not been engaged for some reason, usually reserved for first time or very new shooters and practice.

-

"Slide forward" is one of my favorites, if only to get to watch George Jones shuffle off down range after hearing that one!

-

Now there are a few that in all honesty could be added and would be really helpful:

Range is Going Hot! Why? Why Not? It lets everyone in the pit KNOW FOR SURE that you are about to load a shooter and start launching lead. Not a bad thing.

Do you understand what you are doing, or any reasonable variation of "Do you know what you are supposed to be doing here?" Heck, why not ask, better now, before we load the shooter, than to have him tell you that he didn't know that X or Y was the case on this stage.

I am sure that I can come up with others and also that others will come up with more and that someone will think that at least one of someone's is not worht the time it took to type, but hey, as long as we're shootin, it ain't all bad.

Jim

And I quote:

"Standby - Beep"

When I first started, these were the range commands used at a lot of the local matches. The problem was that a lot of the people acting as RO were not certified, and probably didn't know what exactly the proper range commands were.

Even today, people still use the "give me a nod when you're ready, shooter indicates ready" command.

Nope wasnt me in the video but I watched the hole thing waiting for the weird range commands that didnt come, then I checked the rule book. I honestly feel the best and fairest way to run a match is to follow the letter of the rule book every time and for every shooter regardless of whether or not we feel that particular rule matters much As such I will do better from now on, however I do like the stoke stroke flick and stick.

IDPA and Steel and other types of matches have their own set of range commands. That's okay.

Since this is a USPSA/IPSC Shooting thread I'd suggest that anyone who has a problem with range commands being issued as they are listed in the current rule book get in touch with the USPSA and schedule an RO class for their club. Every RO, at every stage at every USPSA match should use the same commands. Even those who are not certified can be taught the range commands. Print them on a business card at Kinko's and pass them out to each shooter. This problem is too easy to fix.

:cheers:

IDPA and Steel and other types of matches have their own set of range commands. That's okay.

Since this is a USPSA/IPSC Shooting thread I'd suggest that anyone who has a problem with range commands being issued as they are listed in the current rule book get in touch with the USPSA and schedule an RO class for their club. Every RO, at every stage at every USPSA match should use the same commands. Even those who are not certified can be taught the range commands. Print them on a business card at Kinko's and pass them out to each shooter. This problem is too easy to fix.

A simple and thoroughly elegant solution! :bow:

The commands are printed on the back George Jones' business card! It's a great idea.

ULSC

"slide forward" = Ram the gun out there at arms length and wait unttill the RO say somthing else, kinda like "simon says".

after slide forwad often comes "hammer down" so just invert the gun and wait again.

It's sometimes fun to tweek the RO's mellons

ULSC

"slide forward" = Ram the gun out there at arms length and wait unttill the RO say somthing else, kinda like "simon says".

after slide forwad often comes "hammer down" so just invert the gun and wait again.

It's sometimes fun to tweek the RO's mellons

I'm your Huckleberry. After 'hammer down (and holster)' and you so cutely turn the gun upside down what do you do when I wait for you to pull the trigger?

I know this is a USPSA thread but IDPA clubs do this too.

I just moved to TN a few months back, I've been shooting IDPA at a bunch of different clubs and have been running into this "give me a nod when you're ready, shooter indicates ready" virtually everywhere. Never heard it in Michigan at 6 different clubs I shot with there.

The other IDPA commands I hear down here are interesting as well. :ph34r:

I know this is a USPSA thread but IDPA clubs do this too.

I just moved to TN a few months back, I've been shooting IDPA at a bunch of different clubs and have been running into this "give me a nod when you're ready, shooter indicates ready" virtually everywhere. Never heard it in Michigan at 6 different clubs I shot with there.

The other IDPA commands I hear down here are interesting as well. :ph34r:

I shoot USPSA and IDPA and I'm a SO/RO for both. I get so confused when trying to SO somebody in a IDPA match that I only shoot once a month that I end up just using the USPSA commands. Yeah a couple of guys give me funny looks and I'll probably never get invited to SO a major IDPA match but it gets the point across and works.

I still use, "GOING HOT" especially on a big field course, followed by "have any questions" mostly for new/newer shooters. No they are not the commands but I would rather be safer than perfect. Some new shooters are trying to do the right thing and pick up the brass that was just shot not knowing that we are ready to rock, I would rather get their attention than the shooter get their attention.

How about this from a new RO at practice last year:

"Are you ready?

Get ready . . .

Standby, OK . . .

Here you go . . ." (beep)

Needless to say, after the "Range is clear" command, we had a little talk. LOL. :D

I made a copy of the USPSA range commands and taped them to my timer.

And I am not ashamed to admit that I find myself checking them, so that I do not put my foot into my mouth with some off-the-wall command.

And on the matter of new range commands: being a follower of the Way of the Wheelgun, it is interesting to hear the commands that follow "If you are finished, unload and show clear"

Some RO's who are not familiar with the wheelgun seem to think that "If clear, hammer down, holster" does not work for a wheelgun, and try to come up with something else.....some recent examples include:

"Do whatever you've got to do with that thing"

"Close it and holster it"

I have also heard "Slide forward, hammer down and holster" which is just a little difficult with a wheelgun. :rolleyes: