Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any alternative to graphite for lubing magazines ?

I recently made some very long magazines for my subgun (a TIG welder is a dangerous thing in the wrong hands). They run great so long as I lube the inside of the mag generously with graphite. No problem, I'm happy to do this, but it is a little messy. Can anyone recommend an alternative dry lubricant I can apply to the inside of my mags that won't stain everything black ? It can be a dry powder I shake in as I load, or a solvent-based spray that I apply while the mag is disassembled. What do you recommend ?

For your enjoyment, here are some of the mags. The longest actually holds 87 rounds :D ...

M11-9SteelMagazinesShorttoLong.jpg

MAX-11with85-roundmagazine.jpg

Mag slick sucks unless you clean it out regularly, it will build up and create bigtime reliability issues. Silicone works but is also messy. If all the need is some graphite to run you should be able to polish them out and get them to run dry.

Mag slick sucks unless you clean it out regularly, it will build up and create bigtime reliability issues. Silicone works but is also messy. If all the need is some graphite to run you should be able to polish them out and get them to run dry.

As you can see, the mags are long and thin, and made from rough old surplus Argentinian SMG mags :wacko: ... I am not enthusiastic about polishing the inside. The mags actually run 100% with factory Winchester White Box ammo (which actually feels slightly slippery to the touch), but function is just a tad sluggish with my reloads. A little graphite powder solves the problem completely, but is messy. Transparent graphite would work great, if such a thing existed :D.

Good to know...everyone I've seen use it is actually using it for something else other than, magazines. Since its marketed for mags I figured it was worth a shot for the OP.

Personally, I don't seem to have a problem with silicone. I spray it on a rag, let the propellant evaporate and wipe away. For your mags you might want to invest in a bore-snake of an appropriate size, soak it down in silicone and keep it in a zip lock bag.

Take 'em apart and run the boresnake through and run them.

even if you consider silicone messy, it's a whole lot cleaner than graphite.

Works for me

good luck

dj

I've got a can of teflon based dry lube. It comes out wet, but dries and leaves a teflon residue.

I use it as the primary lube in my 10/22, and I use it in my 38 super mags...

That sounds like the stuff I'm using.

Its called "The Dry Lube made by PBBlaster http://shop.blasterchemical.com/display.cf...50003&pid=6

It works well for me but I don't have any homemade 3 foot long mags either :D

Edited by Jay870

I've got a can of teflon based dry lube. It comes out wet, but dries and leaves a teflon residue.

Its called "The Dry Lube made by PBBlaster http://shop.blasterchemical.com/display.cf...50003&pid=6

Yeah, that's the same stuff I use. Works great on pistol mags but have to be careful not to use too much or get's all over bullets and gum's up action when fired and getting hot. I usually spray it on springs, follower, and inside mag tube and then run an Arredondo brush thru it once or twice to remove excess.

+1

I clean the mag, spray it in, let it dry and then mop out any excess with a quick wipe of the mag mop. Really slick and totally dry. Does not attract or hold dirt & dust and keeps the mags reliable. Do this about once a month.

I use Hornady One Shot to lube mags. It works well as a case lube for reloading as well.

One Shot was the first to come to my mind as well. If it works, it wouldn't make a mess since it dries quickly. If used on brass while reloading, it might help the reloads work as good as the Winchester White Box, which may eliminate or at least reduce the need for lubricating the mags.