Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single malt whisky

BigDave

I'm sipping on a 12 yr old Macallan as I type this. Man, this is good. I learned to drink this stuff back in college and have recently remembered how much I like it. One of my favorite haunts in Indy sells the 18 yr old Macallan for $13 a pop, which is a stiff price for any drink, but damn - it is fine.

I am enjoying a Dewars and ice right now, as it happens.

I have also enjoyed a Bowmore Legend at $25 a bottle.. pretty good single for cheap.

I'm also not opposed to blends, like Famous Grouse or even one of the Johnnys. Red, black, or ..... ?

Right there with ya... there's a wee dram of Macallan 12 breathing on the table at my elbow at this very moment. Good stuff!

The Balvenie 12 "double-wood" is darn fine stuff for the money, too.

B (and, yeah, Macallan 18... yum, but, $150 a bottle? Maybe someday...)

I am currently knocking back a BIG glass of Woodford Reserve.

But waiting on the shelf is either of the following. In case of emergencies, you know, for medicinal purposes only.

Bruichladdich 10year Single Malt

Laphroaig

Chivas Regal 12years

Tormore (speyside) very nice, not as smooth as an Islay

Famous Grouse Gold Reserve

Wilson Special Reserve Single Malt, New Zealand made!

Edited by gm iprod

Reading this thread has got me interested enough to want to try some of these libations. Any suggestions for the entry level single malt taste?

I got back into Scotch by ending up at some bars that had a nice selection of single malts. To me it is easier to spend $5-$10 a glass before spending $40-$50 or more for a bottle I wasn't fond of. Bevmo has a nice selection and some great prices.

I like my wee dram neat with a dash of water.

Reading this thread has got me interested enough to want to try some of these libations. Any suggestions for the entry level single malt taste?

Glenlivet or Glenfiddick and you won't be disappointed.

Good choices.

If you want something with a little sweetness try Aberlour A'bunadh. And like BigDave said, just a splash of purified water. Mmmmmmm......

Edited by baerburtchell

I'm sipping on a 12 yr old Macallan as I type this. Man, this is good. I learned to drink this stuff back in college and have recently remembered how much I like it. One of my favorite haunts in Indy sells the 18 yr old Macallan for $13 a pop, which is a stiff price for any drink, but damn - it is fine.

And you wouldn't invite me! :angry2:

Lagavulin has gone to $100 a bottle from $85.

There are a number of decent singles out there and I haven't found one I didn't like.

Adding ice/water to single malt is sacrilege, it should be drank at room temperature neat. :surprise:

a bottle of Glenmorangie...Great stuff

Which one? I've got a 10-year-old which is "good", but I haven't tried their specialty bottlings (lasanta, quinta ruben, etc). I particularly seem to like the malts that have a sherry finish, so... thinkin' about tryin' some of those.

B

a bottle of Glenmorangie...Great stuff

Which one? I've got a 10-year-old which is "good", but I haven't tried their specialty bottlings (lasanta, quinta ruben, etc). I particularly seem to like the malts that have a sherry finish, so... thinkin' about tryin' some of those.

B

I am almost embarassed to say this was a gift...bottle of 18 yr old single malt...no other influences...just superb single malt...I would not buy it for myself at about 140 a bottle...

I would not buy it for myself at about 140 a bottle...

I know what you mean.

I've almost started to "enjoy" business trips (gack, I can't believe I said that!) because if I'm fortunate enough to be eating dinner at a restaurant that has a few malts to choose from, I can try something new without buying a whole bottle.

B

You know, the finest single malts in the world (including my favorite, the previously mentioned Balvenie Doublewood) come from Dufftown. :cheers: Where's the cheers emoticon with glasses of neat scotch instead of beer mugs?

Glockopop AKA Jared DUFF