Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WATCHES

Nemo

Mister you can ask me anything! The trick is will I answer.

I think I picked it up from overstock.com for about $250.00

I love the piece it is my "sunday go ta meetin" watch.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick! Just found Amazon has lots of them and many are very interesting and cool designs. Very affordable too. I'm a sucker for diver's watches...

:cheers:

Edited to add: That's some wicked photography, PEK! :bow:

Edited by Nemo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mister you can ask me anything! The trick is will I answer.

I think I picked it up from overstock.com for about $250.00

I love the piece it is my "sunday go ta meetin" watch.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick! Just found Amazon has lots of them and many are very interesting and cool designs. Very affordable too. I'm a sucker for diver's watches...

:cheers:

Edited to add: That's some wicked photography, PEK! :bow:

Thank you for noticing the photos Nemo, you made my day!!!

Always trying to improve them.

I am really happy you like them and I appreciate the feedback.

Patrick

PEK, that is one nice piece! How affordable, if I may ask?

G-Man, awesome watch!! Is it heavy?

Thanks, it was my wedding present. I had Michael Kobold holding it for me for a couple of months as it was the last one not already purchased or spoken for by an employee. This is the watch that Keiffer Sutherlandn(sp?) wore in the first "24". My watch was actually on the set as the backup in case something happend to the primary. Now any time I talk to the folks at Kobold I tell them my case number and they all go "oh yeah, that was the backup"....pretty cool.

Heck no it's not heavy.....it's actually extremely light since it's all titanium. Even with the bracelet on it, it's still light. With the NATO strap I normally forget it's there and even sleep with it on! That's one of the reasons I don't wear most of my other watches now....they all feel crazy heavy.

When I get back I'll post pics of my Movado Museum piece (automatic with exhibitiion glass back), my Grandfather's manual tank style Longines from the late 20s or early 30s and my Dad's Seiko Sportsmatic 5 self-winding that he bought in Saigon in 1965. I only wear the last two on special occasions since they're irreplaceable. R,

Thank you for noticing the photos Nemo, you made my day!!!

Always trying to improve them.

I am really happy you like them and I appreciate the feedback.

Patrick

I noticed the pics too....very well done and a slick looking watch. I love tank style watches and with the exhibition back it's even cooler :cheers:

I got a surprise for Father's day. Its not Bart's Kobold, but my 1 year old can't afford watches that cost more than my first car! :P

Its at least atomic time, so it won't be forever running slow like the Omega.

skyhawk.jpg

I got a surprise for Father's day. Its not Bart's Kobold, but my 1 year old can't afford watches that cost more than my first car! :P

Its at least atomic time, so it won't be forever running slow like the Omega.

Hey those Eco-drives are cool! I have a Seiko Arctura Kinetic Chronograph that I wore daily for a couple of years....it was my really my first "good" watch. They're sort of the best of both worlds...no battery worries, but crazy accurate.

Surprising that your Omega ran slow. Most mechanical watches are regulated to run slightly fast so that you're early rather than late if it's important. You could probably send it in for service and they'd clean and regulate it again. I'm a huge Omega fan, but don't own one. I've always wanted a Speedmaster and an old Seamaster DeVille with the sea monster on the back :wub:

Bart,

The Omega is a disaster. I bought it in 1998 brand new and wore it continuously for about 5 years. I took it off when I started working for a company that required a lot of hands on fabrication side by side with my marketing work.... and it sat in a box for about 3 years. Put it back on and wore it for about a year before it started losing time badly enough for me to do something about it. Sent it in to Omega and 4 months later got it back with the exact same amount of time loss as before, except it was shinier and I was out $250. About 6 months later I got frustrated enough to send it to them again and this time it didn't come back shinier, but it DID come back with a baggie of replaced parts. Still loses time.

Fast forward to now and I now have a daily watch that should be dead accurate with a daily update to AT. The omega can go back into a box for another year until it get angry about it again and it'll go back to Omega. The other choices aren't wearable. I have a family heirloom Movado from the 50s which is too fragile to wear and a Rolex perpetual that's gold and silver (and just too ugly to wear).

The Omega is a disaster.

As Bart said, I'm *really* surprised to hear that. My father has an automatic Omega (that my mom got for him not long after they got married). Him not being a "watch guy" would manually wind it (which you don't do to a self-winding watch). After much convincing on my part, he had the local watch shop overhaul it and now it is running like new.

I've had my Seamaster since May 2001 and never had a problem with it. I wear it every day. I sent it in for its regular cleaning/service about 2 years ago.

Bart,

The Omega is a disaster. I bought it in 1998 brand new and wore it continuously for about 5 years. I took it off when I started working for a company that required a lot of hands on fabrication side by side with my marketing work.... and it sat in a box for about 3 years. Put it back on and wore it for about a year before it started losing time badly enough for me to do something about it. Sent it in to Omega and 4 months later got it back with the exact same amount of time loss as before, except it was shinier and I was out $250. About 6 months later I got frustrated enough to send it to them again and this time it didn't come back shinier, but it DID come back with a baggie of replaced parts. Still loses time.

Fast forward to now and I now have a daily watch that should be dead accurate with a daily update to AT. The omega can go back into a box for another year until it get angry about it again and it'll go back to Omega. The other choices aren't wearable. I have a family heirloom Movado from the 50s which is too fragile to wear and a Rolex perpetual that's gold and silver (and just too ugly to wear).

Dude, that bites! If you decide to do something about it, I know an excellent watch repair shop in DC that has overhauled and/or repaired two of my watches. He's not really fast, and he's not the cheapest, but he does really, really good work. He had to make a part or parts for one of my watches, and it's run perfectly ever since. It might be in the ballpark of the $250 that you paid (could be less), for a complete service, clean and regulation, but I know for a fact that he wears them for a while to make sure they're right before you get them back. It's really too cool of a watch to not be able to wear!

P.S. if I had a spare limited gun, I might consider that trade ;)

Edited by G-ManBart

I saw Bart's watch on this thread, did some searching and found this one. I want it!!!

Oh yeah, that's a sweet watch! Don't know if it applies, but Kobold offers a significant discount to LE/Military, but you have to call to get it. You can literally talk to Michael Kobold just by asking for him...he's very cool and has a great accent! I've spoken with him about the Seal Tactical. They only make ten of them a year, but he has one stashed that he's offered to me in the past....really hard to hold back on it!

post-10163-1213843938.jpg

Kobolds watches resonate the same chord to me as exile cycles bikes. The striking simplicity and meticulous detail.

I love that look.

theChopper4.jpg

Sorry, thread drift.....I'm an Exile bike fan too. I love Russells statment that most custom bikes today look like a "Tarts handbag".

That one is exactly the one I would get if I had your money. :)

What money? I just took a hit on the sale of my house, and I settled out of court on my lawsuit. 2008 hasn't been a good year so far. There will be no watch purchases anytime soon.