Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Gold Team in 9mm

Adam B

Recently I have had a long conversation with one of my friends about how to make a 9mm open gun run in a EAA large frame. we have been bouncing some ideas.

I'm looking into the same issue. I have a Tanfo Stock and just purchased a Gold, both chambered in 9mm. I will find a way to make it feed reliably. Perhaps we can share or successes and failures with one another.....

Edited by JThompson

Jim Anglin told me that he knows how to make the large frame mags work in 9mm.

If so, Jim Anglin!! where are you?? Can you please share with your findings! this thread should be

"THE QUEST FOR MAKING LARGE FRAME TANGFOLIO GOLD IN 9MM FEED RELIABLY "

IF the european shooters can make it work in small frame, I'm sure we can find a way to make this work!

Here's an idea, Since Henning is the gun representative for Tanfoglio, maybe he can chime in and help us.

let's break it down and see what the problem is?

1) Time to break down problem in large frame in 9mm, doesn't the original mags work? if not, please post what possible problem:

a) We all know that it can only be maxed out to an AOL of 1.150. How about reaming a bit for longer AOL?

B) let's just run it in round nose bullets and take away the JHP bullets for better feeding on the ramp.

c) How about Grams springs and followers, bolen springs and followers, original springs and followers etc..

d) Clearance from the ejector and how it lines up with the barrel ramp? is it high, low does the bullet hit the bottom ramp?

E) Run it with 6lbs recoil spring to 12lbs spring.

F) Grauffel's suggestion is to put a 9mm extractor.

G) Let's only use good once fired brass: Winchester, Speer, CCI and remington only

H) ??

Please fell free to post your suggestions and findings.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Here you go:

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

4760 N 17th st.

Omaha Ne, 68110

402 650 5190 cell/shop

jjanglin@msn.com

In shop 3-11 evenings

He said he needs the gun and the mags together. I don't have the gun to send him yet, but he said that he had

a couple guys in his area with running large frame Gold Teams in 9.

Here's an idea, Since Henning is the gun representative for Tanfoglio, maybe he can chime in and help us.

let's break it down and see what the problem is?

1) Time to break down problem in large frame in 9mm, doesn't the original mags work? if not, please post what possible problem:

a) We all know that it can only be maxed out to an AOL of 1.150. How about reaming a bit for longer AOL?

B) let's just run it in round nose bullets and take away the JHP bullets for better feeding on the ramp.

c) How about Grams springs and followers, bolen springs and followers, original springs and followers etc..

d) Clearance from the ejector and how it lines up with the barrel ramp? is it high, low does the bullet hit the bottom ramp?

E) Run it with 6lbs recoil spring to 12lbs spring.

F) Grauffel's suggestion is to put a 9mm extractor.

G) Let's only use good once fired brass: Winchester, Speer, CCI and remington only

H) ??

Please fell free to post your suggestions and findings.

The problem is when you start stacking one on another the round just under the round being fed is used to support the one above. Now in these mags when you get more than 10-12 or so in them the round below drops down and doesn't have the upward angle to support the one above and you get a nose dive into the feed ramp. That's what I got from looking it over quickly.

Here you go:

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

4760 N 17th st.

Omaha Ne, 68110

402 650 5190 cell/shop

jjanglin@msn.com

In shop 3-11 evenings

He said he needs the gun and the mags together. I don't have the gun to send him yet, but he said that he had

Thanks for the info... I don't have the Gold yet... maybe I will just have it shipped to Jim and have him work it.

Leo, from this forum, has a 141 38s from Henning I wanted to play with. I also heard about the short throat, but with the Precision Deltas I'm using I can load them to 1.165 and not hit the barrel. Also, Henning says he has a fix for it using small frame mags and working with the gun to fit them. How it's fixed whether it be large frame mags or small ones, I really don't care... as long as it runs 100%. Either way, I've committed to making it work having spent the cash on the gun.

Here you go:

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

4760 N 17th st.

Omaha Ne, 68110

402 650 5190 cell/shop

jjanglin@msn.com

In shop 3-11 evenings

Thanks for the info... I don't have the Gold yet... maybe I will just have it shipped to Jim and have him work it.

Thank JT I called and left a message..

Leo, from this forum, has a 141 38s from Henning I wanted to play with. I also heard about the short throat, but with the Precision Deltas I'm using I can load them to 1.165 and not hit the barrel. Also, Henning says he has a fix for it using small frame mags and working with the gun to fit them. How it's fixed whether it be large frame mags or small ones, I really don't care... as long as it runs 100%. Either way, I've committed to making it work having spent the cash on the gun.

:surprise:

Most of the problem with the TZ open large frame variety of guns is the mags =somtimes its the ramp they tend to be rough

and most polish the ramps in the wrong direction.

As far as the mags go the large frame mags, ya need to put Bevins spring kits in them he has ones just for the TZ,These

aslo work in the New Caspian mags so do Arrendondo TZ kits.

The second round in the mag needs to be over under the top round in a concentric position with the top round, I have jigs

Ive made to squeeze the mags a little , I also use 1/4 inch round pieces of nylon to tap the groove in the top of the mag

in some. Ive ruined several mags figuring this out, it takes a easy touch to do this, and sometimes takes a while of trail and

error. TZ mags are very hard and if ya squeeze to much they will crack. The mags I say Ive ruined =I use them in my guns

its just cosmetic dings mostly.If ya dont use nylong flats and rounds to pound around on the mags, you will ding heck out of them.

My self Im in the opinion that a 9mm major gun is a waste of time, their is so many more loads with the 38 super

and the supers shoot flatter and are more accurate I feel.

I build a lot of 9mm open guns and can make them work, but for me I dont want one, dont like em.

Nothing in or with these guns is a 100% as far as running goes they are a simple mechanical device and they are going to

mess up now and then just the nature of the beast.

Jim/PA

Sailors :roflol::sight::devil:

Most of the problem with the TZ open large frame variety of guns is the mags =somtimes its the ramp they tend to be rough

As far as the mags go the large frame mags, ya need to put Bevins spring kits in them he has ones just for the TZ,These

The second round in the mag needs to be over under the top round in a concentric position with the top round, I have jigs

Ive made to squeeze the mags a little , I also use 1/4 inch round pieces of nylon to tap the groove in the top of the mag

in some. Ive ruined several mags figuring this out, it takes a easy touch to do this, and sometimes takes a while of trail and

error. TZ mags are very hard and if ya squeeze to much they will crack. The mags I say Ive ruined =I use them in my guns

its just cosmetic dings mostly.If ya dont use nylong flats and rounds to pound around on the mags, you will ding heck out of them.

My self Im in the opinion that a 9mm major gun is a waste of time, their is so many more loads with the 38 super

I build a lot of 9mm open guns and can make them work, but for me I dont want one, dont like em.

Nothing in or with these guns is a 100% as far as running goes they are a simple mechanical device and they are going to

Jim/PA

Thanks for jumping in Jim. There are many people that feel as you do, but I really like the 9mms. I have shot a lot of friends supers and I don't see any sig diff in the recoil. I do agree the can be a pain to get running, but that's why we have guys like you. :D

I was thinking about having the FFL ship it to you and let you play with it while I do the same on a Stock I have here. I wouldn't mind having you go through and work the trigger and a few other things too.

I'll gie you a call or send ya an email if you want to take it on.

Best,

JT

What we really need is a die that will resize the standard 9mm case to be straight walled (like 38 super), and a chamber to match it.

I'm not sure how much taper there is in a 9mm, but I guess if you open up the mouth end, it wouldn't take .355/6 bullets anymore.

It doesn't seem realistic to full-length resize 9mm brass with a 38 super die. Plus, it would be really hard to make a matching chamber without starting from a blank.

Jim/PA

Thanks for jumping in Jim. There are many people that feel as you do, but I really like the 9mms. I have shot a lot of friends supers and I don't see any sig diff in the recoil. I do agree the can be a pain to get running, but that's why we have guys like you. :D

I was thinking about having the FFL ship it to you and let you play with it while I do the same on a Stock I have here. I wouldn't mind having you go through and work the trigger and a few other things too.

I'll gie you a call or send ya an email if you want to take it on.

Best,

JT

THANKS JIM!! I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING 9MM FOR 6YRS NOW AND MY STI RUNS 100%%!! I WILL SEND YOU MINE ONCE I

GET IT.

REGARDS,

SB

• 4 months later...

Well ... Shooterbenedetto ... I got in here for a couple of weeks now a "small frame" from when EAA was in Hialeah, and my 9mm mags fit in just fine.

I think it belongs to you ... !!!!

Yeah, man, small frame Tanfoglios rock in 9mm Major !!! I am busy converting a few of them(CZ) SPO1's to Open, using the front disassemby/barrel removal system.

Well ... Shooterbenedetto ... I got in here for a couple of weeks now a "small frame" from when EAA was in Hialeah, and my 9mm mags fit in just fine.

I think it belongs to you ... !!!!

Yeah, man, small frame Tanfoglios rock in 9mm Major !!! I am busy converting a few of them(CZ) SPO1's to Open, using the front disassemby/barrel removal system.

Thanks Venry..You need to post a picure of the open spo1. Mine will hit your shop next week!

• 3 weeks later...

My wife got me a new "small frame" Tanfoglio made by ARMSCOR and imported by Rock Island.

My local gun store was able to order it through their distributor, AcuSport.

Ask for MAP-1FS or MAP-9FS for steel frame 9mm full size.

Another option is MAPP-1FS or MAPP-9FS for polymer frame 9mm full size.

Hope this helps.

USAFA82