Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Gold Team in 9mm

Adam B

I know I made a post about this a few years ago but has anyone successfully ran an Gold Team in 9mm? I have heard mixed reviews and per my discussion a while ago with henning, 38 super/supercomp seemed to be the only way to go, if you wanted a gun that ran all of the time.

+ one on that, Supercomp is definitely the way to go and not 9mm. I would just not waste my time

with jams during a stage. Jams will definitely frustrate me no matter how nice looking pistol you have if it doesnt work?

I never tried a low round count. My guess would be if the stage is less than 15 rounds, you might get lucky to make the 9mm to work. Even if it does work, it wont make major loads.

It will make major, it's getting the mags to run reliable that's the problem. My buddy had one (ReyesR) and ending up getting rid of it.

Even if you are getting the mags to work, I wonder how hard it would be to make major in the V12 being its all they sell here now.

Leo

It will make major, it's getting the mags to run reliable that's the problem. My buddy had one (ReyesR) and ending up getting rid of it.

Even if you are getting the mags to work, I wonder how hard it would be to make major in the V12 being its all they sell here now.

Leo

No problem with HS-6 and 124/125s.

Leo

No problem with HS-6 and 124/125s.

I know the same load in my V8 Vs my V12 in supercomp was about 10pf less at least with n350..

well screw that idea, if I am going to shoot open it will be with a 9mm

Not everyone agrees. Check the Front Sight coverage of the nationals. Most recently, 9mm was only 21-24% in open. However, this is up significantly from last year, which was less than 7% (I think).

Double check my numbers with the data, but the point is that 38 super is still the favorite.

I shoot a CZ SPO1 in open and shoot 8.4 grs HS6 with a 115 gr Rainier HP in 9major. My gunsmith has the EAA in 9mm and my rounds will make major in his gun but he moved the charge up slightly to make sure. Mine seem to run about 40 fps slower in his gun. As far as the mag issue.....Has anyone tried a Caspian mag or a CZ Tactical Sport? I have a Caspian mag coming from a friend that I sold my 9x21 to and I was going to pick up the Tactical Sport mag from a local gun store. Next option would be to take a CZ mag and possibly mount it inside the EAA mag. My mags run flawless but of course wobble in his frame. He is a really good gunsmith and will figure something out soon.

I have shot 38 super before and started with 9mm major. I really don't see much difference in dot tracking or recoil.

With the Tangfolio open, we'll see how flat this gun really is compared to STI. I'll keep everyone posted.

Working up a load, can't really tell a difference in how "flat" the Tanfoglio is vs. a S_I gun. I didn't like and never got used to the tanfo trigger. The S_I trigger is way better, hands down, I don't know why you would want a Tang if you already have a S_I. But what do I know, I also shoot an open glock. :devil:

well screw that idea, if I am going to shoot open it will be with a 9mm

Hmmm. Interesting point of view. I figure that if I am going to put $3K - $4K into an open gun, I am going to feed it the best ammo I can. 38super with either supercomp or TJ brass is definitely the best. The stats say the vast majority of us still load super. As 9mm brass prices rise, this too shall pass :)

I have had several 9mm open guns in the last 5 years, everyone of them have worked perfectly. Anyone who doesn't like the idea either has a smith that can't build the gun right or doesn't reload.

I have had several 9mm open guns in the last 5 years, everyone of them have worked perfectly. Anyone who doesn't like the idea either has a smith that can't build the gun right or doesn't reload.

Were any of them a large framed Tanfoglio?

Nope, which is why I posted this topic

Nope, which is why I posted this topic

Oops.. sorry, I'm half asleep.

Ramiro Reyes had a 9mm Gold Team that he said he had working. I almost bought it from him, but it didn't work out.

His BE user name is ReyesR. I think he was moving to CA last year, and might not be online because of a vocation change or something...

When I first got my Tanfo/s I had a spare 9mm top end that I intended to use for practice. I couldn't get it to run reliably so I sold it to a guy who wanted it for a .357 Sig project. I'm shooting Supercomp now and the guns run great. If you want to build a Tanfo Open gun in 9mm, build it on a small frame and it will run fine.

• 2 months later...
When I first got my Tanfo/s I had a spare 9mm top end that I intended to use for practice. I couldn't get it to run reliably so I sold it to a guy who wanted it for a .357 Sig project. I'm shooting Supercomp now and the guns run great. If you want to build a Tanfo Open gun in 9mm, build it on a small frame and it will run fine.

Anybody own a small frame Tanfoglio V8 or V12 in small frame here in US?

If not, is the limited model available in small frame here in the U.S.?

Anybody own a small frame Tanfoglio V8 or V12 in small frame here in US?

If not, is the limited model available in small frame here in the U.S.?

I've got a small frame 9mm that I drilled my own holes in. Currently it is a V-4, I've just never bothered drilling anymore holes in it.