Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question For The Spent Case Masters

PistolPete

Here is the deal... I've noticed that a large majority of my spent cases have a round ding about a 3rd of the way down from the mouth of the spent case. The ding is almost perfectly round in shape. The ding also occurs in almost the exact same place. What do you think might be causing this? My guess is it is hitting something on the gun as it is being ejected. Any ideas?

Pete :ph34r:

Guest Larry Cazes

Pete, both of my 1911's ding brass. The brass is hitting the ejection port as Nolan suspected. It doesn't effect my ability to reload them so I haven't bothered to try to fix it. The dings just get resized and blown out the next time I shoot them.

I'm shooting .45 ACP out of a Dan Wesson 1911 that has been modified with a C-more etc. etc. I also lowered the ejection port. Do you think I should take it down a bit further? So I can reload the cases with dings in them? Shouldn't I be nervous about the case exploding?

I also lowered the ejection port. Do you think I should take it down a bit further? So I can reload the cases with dings in them? Shouldn't I be nervous about the case exploding?

Lowering the ejection port won't affect this. It's the rear of the port that's hitting the brass. The classic solution to that "problem" is to fair the ejection port. You've seen that mod before, I'm sure. The rear edge of the ejection port is scalloped out. It looks cool but I'm not sure it's really necessary. The "dings" are, perhaps <ahem!> esthetically offensive, but they don't hurt anything.

You don't need to worry about the casings exploding. Even supposing a ding weakened the brass immensely - which it doesn't - the portion of the casing you're talking about is way far forward, right? When there's actually pressure inside the case, it's surrounded and reinforced by the steel chamber. Not a problem.

Guest Larry Cazes

I have reloaded upwards of 15K rounds through my single stack .45's in the last year or so that both ding my brass and have never had a catastrophic case failure. After 15-20 loadings they do split starting at the case mouth but I dont even notice them until I inspect the brass after tumbling. This is due to work hardening from resizing and has nothing to do with dings. Since .45ACP is loaded to such low pressure in a pretty beefy case, it is extremely forgiving to handload.