Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Conversions

paraman1

Looking for a .22 LR conversion for my G17 and was wondering who make sthe most reliable conversion ? Between cost savings shooting it and getting my daughters shooting pistols I am thinking that this will be well worth the cost , I just don't want to wind up buying a POS that doesn't work .

Barfy,

The Advantage Arms (AA) kits only have 10 round magazines. I had one and shot out barrels at an alarming rate. They replaced them but finally refunded my $. The slide locks back on last round with these kits.

The Ceiner kits have 15 round mags, but don't lock back. I couldn't get this kit to run very well.

Both kits require some serious cleaning after about 2-3k rounds (once a month for me). Good practice for malfunction drills though. Heavy (36 gr +) high velocity rounds work best in best. My local range requires plated so i use lots of Golden bullets and recently some Federal.

I sold my Ceiner to get another AA. The AA are very sensitive to some ammo. I had one barrel go bad after 300 rounds of Thunderbolt; part of the barrel was .30 cal inside causing terrible tumbling. My latest stockpile of Federal from Wal are not good in the AA... go figure.

Hope that helps.

I have an Advantage Arms kit and love it. DON'T shoot Rem Thunberbolts - they terribly leaded my barrel.

I like to shoot cooper coated bullets in .22lr. The Federal and Winchester bulk packs from Walmart work well.

My Advantage arms kit has been great. Just needs to be kept clean and oiled and it works great. I use CCI mini mags for 100% reliability, and ammo for just range plinking I use Remington Golden bullets (there are at least a handful of duds in these boxes though)

Another vote for the AA conversion. I use only Remington GB's and CCI MiniMags in mine.

The barrel has never seen a brush for the 15K odd rounds I've put through the gun, though I did brush and scrape out the chamber and breech face once. The five mags I have all run fine, though I've cleaned the followers a couple times with copper solvent to keep them from getting slicked up.

:splng edt:

Edited by kevin c

I have a Ciener conversion for a G19 that works well. It's phenominallly accurate. They are right, it needs to kept surgically clean, and there is a break in period.

I was going to order another kit for my G35 and had a question about the higher cap mags. When I called I got a recording that said to check the FAQ on the website and if it's not there send a check or money order for $5 and they will schedule an appointment to answer my question.

I can't tell you how much that outraged me. I am personally inviting Ciener to send me a check or money order for $5 and I will look at their ads again (once per). Until then I will wait for an Advantage Arms kit and do so with a smile.

HK Dan

Another vote for Advantage ARms. I have approximately 8k rounds through my kit and have not had a single malfunction. I had one round that did not go off but attributed that to a bad round as it would not fire in a 22 rifle either. I put the same sights on my kit as I have on my competition gun and it shoots great. I shoot the Remington Golden Bullets at $21 for 525.

We, too, have an Advantage Arms "LE" top end. I even fitted the same front sight as the 17 has.

We hoped it would help my wife take to the Glock better but it never happened. Not only did the G17 kick too much for her (hey, everybody's different), but the .22 setup was very grip-sensitive. In her very poor grip, there were numerous failures to eject, and failures to go into battery.

I called the factory and spoke to the proprietor, even, and he was certain is was a poor grip.

In my hands it runs well, and I usually use the Remington Golden Bullet loads, too.

The accuracy seems very good, but since I can't hit a thing with a Glock in the first place, I can't be sure.

However, my Glocker friends so admired it several of them bought them, too, with complete satisfaction.

As a training device for newbies, it's excellent.

The magazine loading assist thing, similar to the stock Glock device, broke after a thousand rounds or so. Loading without it can result in sliced thumbtips, as the magazine lips are rather sharp.

Just for reference, we have a rimfire 1911 I built up out of an old alloy Commander frame, with a C&S trigger kit and the Ciener "Platinum" 5" top end. It runs fairly reliably in her hands and so that's her favorite gun to shoot, excepting the Browning Medalist I finally let her try.

The Ciener's lack of slide lock annoys but isn't fatal. However, the lack does diminish the training value for less-experienced shooters.

Bill

We, too, have an Advantage Arms "LE" top end...

The magazine loading assist thing, similar to the stock Glock device, broke after a thousand rounds or so. Loading without it can result in sliced thumbtips, as the magazine lips are rather sharp.

You might call AA for a replacement, or you can make your own from a standard Glock reloader. You basically need to narrow the stem in the top of the reloader to a width that will let you press the mag follower down by the rim diameter of the .22 case, letting you drop the round in from the front of the magazine. Just don't slice your fingertips with the knife :rolleyes: .

If you don't have a spare Glock reloader, I can send you my modified spare (I have a bazillion reloaders, one for each Glock I own).

Schucks, thanks, but I seem to have at least a few tenths of a bazillion of those things, too, and I'm not even a qualified Glocker.

I did indeed figure to try that someday, if I don't fix the AA one first.

Appreciate the offer.

Bill