Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over running cover

Jimlakeside

What if the door had been open? According to Craig, as long as no shot had been taken nor a reload been in progress there would be no PE.

Here is a situation: A shooter moves down a hallway that has an open doorway on the left. The doorway opens into a room containing 3 threat targets and 1 non-threat. All 3 threat targets are visable from the left side of the doorway. The shooter takes cover at the left side of the doorway (the first side that he comes to) and engages 1 of the threat targets using tactical priority, then moves across the doorway to the right side and engages the remaining 2 threat targets using tactical priority. The shooter has intentionally left a point of cover and exposed his self to threat targets that he was not engaging. If the CoF did not specifically state that the shooter must take cover on the left side of the doorway have any rules been violated?

• 3 weeks later...

So are some of you saying that it would be OK to run past an open door with a threat inside and then shoot from the other side of the doorway using cover?

I'm pretty sure I'd give a PE to every shooter that tried that.

Steve, I'm not saying that. In just about every match I've shot, if you step across an open door before engaging threat targets, you would get a PE.

The scenario I was describing at the SC State Match was where the door was closed to start. You could open it and shoot from the left or open it and shoot from the right. The door opened into the shooter, not away from the shooter. If you stepped across the door while opening it, you would not get a PE. I did not watch every shooter, but I imagine that if you opened it to the point that it would expose 100% of your body and then stepped across, you would get dinged.

I agree with Steve and Hot Brass. :cheers:

I was concerned that people thought that it was permissable to move anywhere and at any time when shooting the stage, unless specified in the course of fire, as long as they were behind cover when shooting.