Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Sig How Come Not Major?

MBaban

..and since it can be converted to a .40 with only a barrel swap, is it worth upsetting the rules?..

At this point, I think asking for a sub .40 Major caliber in Limited ('sides Revo, of course), is like asking a football touchdown to be worth five points instead of six. "Them's the rules, and most everybody is happy with them".

Personally I don't see any advantage to it-- in Basic Pistol classes, universally the most flinching and trigger jerking occurs with .357 Sigs for some reason, and for IPSC, you can't get a heavy enough bullet in there.

Personally I don't see any advantage to it-- in Basic Pistol classes, universally the most flinching and trigger jerking occurs with .357 Sigs for some reason

It's the noise. Newbie shooters are very sensitive to the loudness of the gun, and a .357 SIG chambered auto is basically a snubnosed .357 Magnum. LOUD. And the recoil is heavy/snappy enough it's not the best choice for a beginner, either.

I see the advantage of the .38 super over the .357 sig on the open, especially with getting more in the mag. I have not shot a .38 super, is the recoil less than the .40? With Glock shooters making an open gun, would the .40 make the major pf in an open Glock gun or the .357 sig have a better chance in making the major pf? MBaban

Open guns are most effective if they have ports and comps to re-direct and tailor the recoil.

Ports and comps need gas to run them.

The gas comes from powder...slow powder, and more of it, often helps.

Lighter bullets take more powder to get to Major.

Most open gunners use a derivative of the 38 Super.

Bullet weight is usualy in the 115g to 125g range.

This weight of bullet allows for the powder/gas combination that effectively works the comps/ports...keeping the gun shooting flat (little dot rise).

The 38 super family also allows maximum capacity in the mags.

With Glock shooters making an open gun, would the .40 make the major pf in an open Glock gun or the .357 sig have a better chance in making the major pf?

Either can make Major. You gotta be careful on powder selection and watch for pressure...especially with the 40.

Neither would be competitve, but both would be fun.

What do you have, and what are you looking to do?

Flexmoney, I'm toying with an idea of having a Glock for open gun, keeping the expense down but also have fun shooting it. I saw some 24C, are there competitors using the 35? What is the setup? MBaban

This is a little off topic but after reading Shred's comment I thought I'd ask. If someone wanted to shoot a 627 revolver in L10, using .357 loads, would it be scored as minor or major. I know .357 is minimal for Major in Revolver class but does that carry over to Limited or is the .40 cal bullet requirement needed. Thanks.

Chris

Yeah.. there used to be a .357 Mag exception for Limited, but I guess it got yanked. I remember claiming the Coonan .357 autos scored major once...

I am pretty sure the .357 exception specifically stated for revolvers only, making a Coonan.357 still scored as minor.

I just checked the rulebook last night and couldn't find any .357 Mag Major mention except in Revolver.

I'm pretty sure the old rules for Limited were, .40 caliber minimum for Major in Autos, .357 Mag in wheelguns.

I just checked the rulebook last night and couldn't find any .357 Mag Major mention except in Revolver.

I'm pretty sure the old rules for Limited were, .40 caliber minimum for Major in Autos, .357 Mag in wheelguns.

Thats why I was arguing the Coonans-- the rules used to have a blanket .357 Mag exception that was "understood" to only apply to revos. To defend that, the powers-that-were at the time claimed not enough 357 autos had been made, but I found production numbers from Coonan that said otherwise.. moot now, anyway

the rules used to have a blanket .357 Mag exception that was "understood" to only apply to revos

In USPSA for Limited division it was stated. Page 23 of the Blue rule book (7th Edition USPSA) under rule US 2.12 iii "All ammunition for auoloaders must be .40 caliber (10mm) or larger in diameter and be measured at 175 power factor or greater to be scored major. Smaller calibers are scored minor and must be measured at 125 power factor or greater. Revolvers chambered for .357 magnum or larger may also be scored major if the ammunition tests at 175 power factor or greater"