Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1/9 Twist 16 inch Barrel.....Which Round?

HPD SRT

I've heard that for the best accuracy with 1/9 twist you need only shoot up to a certain grain. Is there any truth in this? I mean is it ok to go above 55-59gr rounds? What I am asking is... Which round, with this barrel, is the most accurate only out to 350 yards? I will be using this for 3 Gun. With the R&R Racing 3 Gun coming up at the end of next month, I heard there will be shots out to that distance. Though few, I want to make sure those few rounds are driving nails. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums!

First, you probably should have posted this in the 3-Gun/Rifle Tech questions forum, but not a biggie. Our super awesome Admin's will probably move it.

Second, this subject has beat pretty well covered. In the upper right, you'll see the Search function and it will yield awesome results.

Lastly, with a 1:9 barrel, the big plus is the variety that you can shoot. In my 16" rifle that I use for teaching/training it loves everything from 52's to 69's. Honestly, try some of the bulk stuff (55gr. loads) but know your zeroes/holdovers with a box of 69's from Black Hills. At the match figure everything "close" (i.e. under 150) use the 55's and then break open your Black Hills ammo for the long shots.

The big thing is to zero your rifle and know you POI from 5 feet to probably 400yards.

Rich

It's going to depend on the barrel.

Some 1/9 barrels shoot up to 69's real well, others do not like going that heavy. That is something you are going to have to just experiment with.

As to the best accuracy out to 350, buy several bullets and weights and experiment. A lot of folks just run 55's. It depends on how much time and money you want to spend figuring out what works best for your situation.