Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the scale said this morning.

JimmyZip

gun belt took up three holes

Heh. I have a happy dilemma. My CR belt used to not-quite-stretch-all-the-way-around. Now it overlaps by enough that I gotta decide whether to cut off the excess to keep it out of the way, or break down and buy a new one.

B)

B (4 left between me and my goal...)

gun belt took up three holes

Heh. I have a happy dilemma. My CR belt used to not-quite-stretch-all-the-way-around. Now it overlaps by enough that I gotta decide whether to cut off the excess to keep it out of the way, or break down and buy a new one.

B)

B (4 left between me and my goal...)

If the 4 is lbs. and not inches, why not treat yourself to a new rig when you make your goal? 25 years ago a paramedic on our first aid squad lost about 50 lbs. and went out and bought himself a beautiful basketweave belt with scissor/tool and radio pouches for work --- his philosophy was that since he spent more money than ever before on the rig, it would keep him motivated to eat sensibly for the foreseeable future. It worked for him.....

It's a far shorter time for me, but ruthlessly throwing out clothes that are too large helps me quite a bit. I'm also only willing to buy new clothes in the next smaller size....

• 5 years later...

Well I was looking at this thread and I am laughing at how much exercise I did to lose weight then, when I was almost 40. Now at 45 I am 195 to 200 almost all the time and a 34-36 waist as opposed to a 36-38. What did I do? well, I changed my diet, and my job. I am a grip now in the film industry. I am fed at work generally, and I eat two mostly paleo (except for rice) meals.No bread anymore save homemade burgers. I drink water, very little milk, and coconut water and no sweetened drinks whatsoever besides an occasional hot chocolate from Starbucks on Saturday or Sunday nights when I want to stay up. Craft service is pretty good. When I want a snack I eat fruit, nuts, yogurt (half serving) and I drink a fair amount of water after every meal and avoid eating four hours before bedtime. My arms and legs are in good shape now from work. I lift 35lb sandbags all day long ( two at a time ), and carry gear around movie sets too. Pushing heavy carts of gear through dirt is not unusual and they weigh upwards of 300 to 500 lbs. Take them up grades, down grades, through malls, dirts lots, desert wasteland, everywhere! I carry and set up c-stands, and combo and mambo combo stands which are not light for the most part, and working with your hands is a regular all day thing. You sit and wait, then you go balls out, then you sit and wait, then you go balls out, but smooth, and not erratic.

I mountain bike on weekends regularly, and use a bike to shop in Albuquerque for the most part utilizing the arroyo bike paths and staying to designated cycling streets.

Breakfast used to be eggs over-easy and sausage, with hash browns and biscuits and gravy. Now its steel cut oats and fruit with an egg white from a boiled egg or two for breakfast. I have more energy. I regularly work 14 to 16 hours and do so without caffeine at all because I have A-fib. When I want energy, I eat fruit and drink water. I live with and work with some food nazis too. They question everything they put into their mouths save alcohol for the most part. When I go out to eat, I desire lean, fresh things that are made from things I can grow or catch, and I eat quite a bit of game meat now from hunter friends. The stuff is very lean and just gorgeous.

So yeah, I changed my job and was able to use that to change my diet and both things kind of changed my body too. Do I ever eat junk anymore? Yeah sometimes, but I enjoy it less and less as my palate gets used to fresh uncooked foods and less fats and sugars/salts. You start to smell the junk in processed foods that makes you pause and kind of snub your nose 'cause you're not hungry for that type of food anymore. The only things I desire sometimes to pig out on are pastries/cake/ice cream. So if you have a kid between the ages of 3 and 18 who lives at home and has a birthday this year ( In ABQ) then please send me a message so I have an excuse to indulge. Promise I will bring an age appropriate gift too! Lol!

I think Jimmy and I are on more or less the same track. Mine, I discovered accidentally, is kind of the Mediterranean Diet, only I came upon it myself without knowing anything about a so-called Mediterranean Diet. But I'm as lean as they come, can eat gobs of the stuff I DO eat, and just don't gain weight. Seldom, if ever, eat sweets, and junk food just doesn't happen. I do eat crackers now and again, but read the labels on my food purchases really carefully (which I do with everything, actually). Oatmeal every morning and lots of vegetables. No beef, but frequent tuna and occasionally lean chicken. I do eat hard-boiled eggs and a little bit of cheese. If I'm short on anything, it'd be fresh fruit. The prices are high and the quality is often lacking. Not sure what to do about that. But I substitute dried fruit. Nothing quite like fresh fruit, though. I never add salt to anything because there's already a lot of salt in some foods--too much in others. I try and find things with low salt and very low or no saturated fat.

The only weakness I have is for high quality frosted cake. Which I only manage to eat maybe once a year at someone's birthday event. I'm not into pie; I like a good frosted cake. But I don't go out buying it. I let other people serve it to me. Once a year if I'm lucky. Maybe not even that.

Today I remembered an experience I had in 1979: Having an environment at the time (radio disc jockeys, if you can believe it) which lent itself well to macrobiotic dieting and the like (yes, it was here in hippie Eugene), I ate nothing but brown rice for six weeks, lost five pounds, and experienced a clarity of mind that, well, blew my mind. I guess it qualified as a form of fasting. I felt fine. I'm not especially into that at the moment, but I'm thinking of a two-day fruit diet or something to shrug off some stress that's been nagging at me . . .

The brown rice diet/fast was great in that it gave you carbs, and B vitamins also, but nothing else. Yeah, you can get kind of a mental clarity/high that way definitely.

BTW Brian, I love the tag line. Just love that song!

Edited by JimmyZip