Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the scale said this morning.

JimmyZip

Earlier this year my cardiologist said that I at 245 and out of shape could stand to lose some weight AND exercise. In the past I was very active and in good shape but with three little girls and typically working a minimum of 50 hrs a week, well you can see how that might not leave much room for exercise.( My doc rides a roadbike and is part of a group we call the "roadies" around here who ride avidly. That is where I met him long before I needed his help professionally)

Or so I thought. I found that I typically stay up til around 10ish or so every night. That time after the kids have gone to bed could be used to get in shape. So, I began to ride my old Cannondale, dusted off the weight set and bought a jump rope. For the most part I have been riding at least three nights a week, and lifting weights, running, circuit, and jumping rope. (That is the hardest thing really!)

So when I got on the scale to see where I was this morning I was very happy. I am 6'4" and 210 is not really heavy at all but I'm shooting for 200 and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I don't have the best diet but I have avoided overeating since January and boy that in itself has done wonders for my hiatal hernia. Plus the snoring that was once everpresent in our household has now subsided to a rare occasion.

So when you think that you don't have time to dryfire or exercise, maybe you just need to think of that time you are watcing TV everyday and figure a better thing to do with your time.

200 here I come!

Edited by JimmyZip

Awesome!

Having been on a similar quest since last fall, I have great respect for what you've done... it is *hard* to do!

Keep up the great work.

200 here I come!

I'm actually targeting 195... I figure that way, I have a "trip wire" to get back on track, any time the scale has a number that starts with "2"

B

I don't really have what you'd call a weight problem, mine is more of a height issue. I'm actually already at my perfect Dr. recommended weight, but I'm just a little bit shy of the seventeen feet tall I'm supposed to be to carry it. So far, all my efforts to address the vertical have been unsuccessful so I'm having to rethink my strategy.

Congrats on getting close to your goal.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would update this thread so that those of you who are trying to lose do not get discouraged.

Well I got down to 207 and really began hitting the weights harder and jumping rope. What that got me was improved stamina and strength, but also an extra 5 lbs! Is my waist getting smaller? Yeah. Is my stomach getting flatter? Yeah, BUT, how do I quantify what I'm doing at this point? What is a good measure of progress if the scale cannot tell me what I'm acheiving?

I guess I'll figure it out, but I will admit that I am a bit dismayed at this point. I've always been a numbers guy. I like to be able to figure it out mathematically and even timeline it to guess what day I will reach any specific milestone so that I can see if I am behind, ahead, or right on schedule. Drives my wife crazy, kids look at me like I'm cukoo <_<

Well here's one more thing that I will have to learn not to let get to me. Just go out and do my thing and not let the scale run my life.....

yeah, right. :wacko:

At 6'3", I was perpetually underweight until I hit 35...then I put on nearly 100 lbs over a 5 year period. Stress at work, stress at home, poor diet..and hit 270. Down to 255 this AM, and am motivated to keep on pushing it down a half pound at a time. Congratulations on your making it so far..it takes dedication and hard work to get there and you're doing it. Way to go Jimmyzip...don't give in, you have accomplished something that a lot of us are envious of :cheers:

Dayum, 6'4" and 207? Sounds good to me. I am 5'8" on a tall day and right at 200. Doc said I need to get down to 145-150, said it would help my knees a lot and probably push the surgery out a couple years if I were to lose the weight and act my age. I was this height and 140 pounds in 6th grade LOL. I went into boot camp at 170 and came out at 185, haven't been under 175 since. Shooting for 175 but not really doing anything to get there yet. I need to do it though....

I thought I would update this thread so that those of you who are trying to lose do not get discouraged.

Well I got down to 207 and really began hitting the weights harder and jumping rope. What that got me was improved stamina and strength, but also an extra 5 lbs! Is my waist getting smaller? Yeah. Is my stomach getting flatter? Yeah, BUT, how do I quantify what I'm doing at this point? What is a good measure of progress if the scale cannot tell me what I'm acheiving?

I guess I'll figure it out, but I will admit that I am a bit dismayed at this point. I've always been a numbers guy. I like to be able to figure it out mathematically and even timeline it to guess what day I will reach any specific milestone so that I can see if I am behind, ahead, or right on schedule. Drives my wife crazy, kids look at me like I'm cukoo <_<

Well here's one more thing that I will have to learn not to let get to me. Just go out and do my thing and not let the scale run my life.....

yeah, right. :wacko:

Muscle weighs a lot more by volume than fat. When you reduce fat and build muscle, you'll gain weight. So, what you probably want to track now is a combination of weight and body fat percentage. If you're seeing the results in a smaller waist and flatter stomach, you know you're making some great progress! :cheers:

That's a real good reason to not let your bodyweight influence your training. Increased work capacity is the hallmark of training. If you feel better, perform better, and consistently set new PRs - you are doing something right. Regardless of what your bodyweight is.

+1 to what Jake said. And if you really need those numbers --- buy an electronic bodyfat caliper and software from someplace like Amazon and start using that to track your progress. You may find that as your weight goes up, percentage of body fat holds steady or even drops a little.....

I've maintained a 55 lb. weight loss despite starting nursing school last fall --- and by the midway point in the semester I'm usually out of gym time and more importantly totally out of energy. I've never done anything that physically demanding in my life, and I've really got to thank the folks like Jake who kept me going to the gym while I was getting ready to do this. I still look at what the scale says, but I also assess how I feel, what I can physically do, and how my clothes fit. Since I only own three pair of pants that's important.....

Thanks you guys. It really means alot to hear good, sane advice. I will heed and keep it up. Will have to research the bodyfat thing. I didn't know you could do that. Last time I remember anyone going in for bodyfat check, they were immersed in a tank of water. I guess technology improves lots of things! :)

Shooter,

It's 25 miles three times a week. The ride is uphill one way and down, up and up the other because I ride a circuit instead of just up and back. I can do it now in one hour and forty minutes. I tried a new circuit last night and will see what that gets me as far as miles. I think I will be near or at 30.

I jump rope as a circuit training exercise. I do 120 straight jumps, do 30 push-ups, 80 sit ups, 16 curls each arm, 20 dips from a chair to the free weight bench, and I repeat. I try and do this all nights that I do not ride. If I am lucky, it will be four, but most weeks it has been three. When I have alot of energy and good sleep I can sometimes get eight circuits. Otherwise I get five or six.

On the nights that I am sore in my arms I will work shoulders and then punch my heavy bag or I have started egg-beater in the pool hands above head, six sets of two minutes. (used to play H20 Polo in H.S.) That and Ins and Outs with pushups in-between to mix it up. Wish I had access to a 25 to 50 yd pool. I remember some workouts that our coach would do to get us ready for the season, and let me tell you you were IN SHAPE!

Really not that intense yet. I'm working on keeping my heart rate up so that when I ride I can ride hard for most of the ride. when I started in January, i couldn't ride hard for very long. if I went for two miles hard I would be panting hard and feeling it. Now I can at least push for a good 18 miles out of 25, and the rest I can hit hard.

Man I am rambling and have to get to bed.

JZ

Awesome job Zip! :cheers: Perhaps it's time to change your avatar?? Was the doctor's advice the main reason for the weight loss?

I set some goals when I got a slot to the Nationals, one being to get to 269lbs (from 319). As of this morning I am only 3 lbs away with a month to go.

Awesome - congrats man :cheers: (sorry, maybe not the best icon for this accomplishment :D )

At 6'4" and about 165, I'll gladly take that weight off your hands.

How much you want? I have plenty extra to pass around. Have been losing some here and there but still a long way to go.

Jimmy Congratulations that is great! :cheers:

The avatar is an avatard thing. I can tell you though that I did use fast food as a diet to help me lose weight. When I was running late and didn't pack a lunch, I bought Wendy's chili and ate only that all day. Just one large one, no cheese or onions. I just would have a couple of spoonfulls to break the hunger pangs and then an Ensure at the regular meal time. That way I still had energy to exercise and work, but was able to lose weight. Also water in large amount when dieting. Seems to help for some reason.

Also, I don't order the thumbs in my chili either!

Docs advice was number one, then a picture of me with my shirt off and seeing my belly hanging over my beltline! ABOMINATION! I was aghast! Then there was the wife's comment on how I looked "pretty good" with the weight. (Somehow I think she was telling a BIG white lie) Lower stamina, there were just so many things that were pointing in that direction, well I had to do something.

When you have heart issues at 34, and you are overweight at 38, then you start to feel(I did anyway) kind of lame. Like what can I change? It started out slow and seems to be gaining momentum. We'll see where it goes from here. :)

Edited by JimmyZip

Dam you guys suck !! Great job !! I need to get off my ass, I'm ditiching the

Safariland belt because those brass hook holes really tell a story I dont want to hear !! :roflol:

The hooks are now just past the holes !! :surprise: I'm getting on the bike tommorrow !!