Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timers: PACT vs. CED7000

shooter757

I have an older Pact that I like and it is allso a Crono for me. I can set it to print and with a HP printer it will print off the crono set and It will print a string of fire. = So I could practice Steel Challenge and shoot a run hit print and shoot the next runs and go back and have a print out of each run, & -each transition. But you would have to have the HP IR pinter that is not made any more.

With the CED 7000 and BiFocal glasses I can shoot up to 10 strings and go back and review the time and transititons.

the ## are small and not so easy to see for ....Older eyes

With the CED8000 I can see all the # s great and it is now my timer of choice to put in my bag.

I think the CED 8000 is worth the extra size and $$$, But I would not give up my Pact the Numbers are easy to see.

JF

We have both. The PACT is a big box, but it does everything including chrono. The new one has a USB port so you can download everything.

The 7000 is a great tiny timer, perfect for throwing in a range bag and carrying around everywhere.

Since I have a separate chrono, if I had to pick one, I'd probably go with the 7000, but without, the PACT still wins.

I have a Pact MKIV with chrono and a CED 7000. Day and night difference. The Pact is a battery hog and large. The CED is by far my choice. Compact, rechargeable battery that will run my dryfire sessions for several days and easy to use.

Rik

Let's say you are timing yourself, in this case, which one does better?

I love the CED with the belt clip. It hangs upside down and swivels up so you can see the screen.

The display is awesome! It has lots of good info and is easy to read.

Unless you have to have the built-in Chrony, I would get the CED.

What would the pros/cons be of these two products? I want to know which on is right for me.

There are people who have had good results with PACT Mk IV, and like to have a timer and chrono together in one package. I am glad they have had their success.

That being said, try a search using PACT as a search term, and you'll find some people who have been less than thrilled by the performance and support.

Unless things have changed (a LOT) in the last year or so, the Mk IV would be a poor choice for anything beyond a tool to crack walnuts with (and not a great choice for that, either).

Service has been spotty, multiple problems getting the chrono to work -- give the Mk IV a pass.

As for the other PACT products I can't say much, but my disappointment with the company and the Mk IV shades my attitude toward any of their products.

Edited by Punkin Chunker

I have both a PACT Club II and a CED 7000.

Although I'm pretty satisfied with both, I would definitely advice to buy the CED.

When it comes to functionalities, size, battery duration and accessories the CED definitely outruns the PACT.

Appropriately enough, I followed the advice of posters in the sticky thread at the top of this very forum, and bought a Pact Mk-IV. It's a beast, first it was more expensive than any of the others. It's a little too big to be practical to wear around the range hanging from a pocket or your belt. It's too complicated to possibly learn all it's features and functions, and the multiple modes for each button, make it easy to get confused and frustrated. It eats batteries too quickly, The buttons are not resessed and touching one turns it on, so when it's in your bag, the slightest bump will turn it on, and it won't turn itself off, so you just wasted another expensive 9v battery. I already had a seperate chronograph, so I didn't need that function. I can't say it's not a quality piece of equipment, but there are a lot better choices out there for what most of us need a timer to do.

I bought the external battery pack and have yet to use it. A charged up CED will last a long time. I got the silicone skin, carry case, neck lanyard and belt clip. I use the lanyard more than the clip. Haven't tried the wrist strap. I may pick up a car charger, but haven't needed it yet.

Rik

i've had the big pact/with chrono since 2000,then got the club timer in 05,then got the ced 7000 in march this yr along with yellow cover and retractable laynard,and RF scorer,used it in a 2 day major match and really like the weight factor..last week ..won a R-u-Reader timer..guess it's time to do a timer test.. <_<