Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger

Ben Stoeger

I thought I would jump in and have a training journal on here as well. I will be running this along side my new website (BenStoeger.com) I will stick mostly to training notes on here… and leave the more meaty articles for my own site.

I am currently in the process of preparing for the Minnesota Section match coming up at the end of the month. I had a really great time there last year. Good stages and good RO’s.

After being inspired by the footage I just saw of Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado.. I decided to try setting up some challenges like that. I have never shot (much less seen) a steel match… and they do look fun. Steel matches with lots of movement encompass my weakness as a shooter. I tend to be more accurate…. But slow from spot to spot. I figure that working on these sorts of challenges will make me a much more well rounded shooter.

Here is the video.

This particular set up comprised of 5 full sized poppers at about 10 yards and 2 6 in hanging plates a little bit further back.

This practice session really drove home a couple of things.

1. The quality of your run is determined by the number of extra shots you need to take.

2. The textbook box entries and exits that I practice tend to really break down when shooting high speed easy targets.

Training continues.

Edited by Ben Stoeger

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. The textbook box entries and exits that I practice tend to really break down when shooting high speed easy targets.

How do you mean this? That you tend to "cut corners" or get sloppy in some other way with these high speed targets?

How do you mean this? That you tend to "cut corners" or get sloppy in some other way with these high speed targets?

Exactly(look at the slo mo)... My setup in position 2 I took an extra step while I was shooting. My setup in position 3 I had a very narrow stance. Things to work on I think.

I just got back in from about 700 rounds of .22 on more high speed type steel stages. I threw in a low port this time.. Just for good measure.

I paid particular attention to my movement technique in and out of positions. I feel like I have some real work to do in this area.

Overall… I feel good. A few more weeks… maybe 5000 rounds more and I will have a lot more polish in this area.

Great stuff Ben, keep it up. Hopefully we shoot together again some time at a match.

Flyin

Count on it!

I was wondering about you shooting the 22 with that many rounds. I know with an Open gun and a Marvel 22 on top I can shoot as much as I want and it doesn't affect my timing at all. I can run the same drill or course of fire and 9 times out of 10 my Open gun times are faster. The slide on the Open gun is cycling alot faster that allows for a faster next shot and the recoil is more in the hand than with a 22. I had a ton of guys ask about timing when it comes to limited and production and I never really new what to tell them.

So how do you deal with the different feel of recoil between the two. Do you shoot your production loads prior to a match???

Just wanted some info so the next time someone ask.

Thanks

Flyin

For a serious match... I always shoot my 9mm before the match.

In honesty... as long as I sleep on it, it never seems to matter. I can shoot nothing but .22 for weeks and the next time I shoot a 9mm it doesn't matter. The only thing is, if I shoot a .22 and then shoot a 9mm in the same range session, the 9 feels like a freaking cannon. Thats why I say sleep on it.

For a serious match... I always shoot my 9mm before the match.

In honesty... as long as I sleep on it, it never seems to matter. I can shoot nothing but .22 for weeks and the next time I shoot a 9mm it doesn't matter. The only thing is, if I shoot a .22 and then shoot a 9mm in the same range session, the 9 feels like a freaking cannon. Thats why I say sleep on it.

Ok glad to see someone else has that experience. Last weekend I shot about 500 rnds with my 22 then jumped to my 9mm. I thought on the first couple of shots that I had grabbed some over powdered loads.

I went and practiced with 2 other shooters with widely disparate skill levels today. (actually the point of the trip was to install new sites on hoopers gun) We repeatedly shot the same drill. It was one of Robbie’s off of his Drillmasters club. It consisted of a chair as a start position, 3 targets, and a shooting box. You shoot all the targets on the way to the box, reload, and then shoot again from the box. If you want the complete diagram you should head over to Rob Leatham’s site and check out Drillmasters.

Here is the video:

Me (GM Prod)

Ronnie (M Lim 10)

Hooper (C Prod)

Overall... good practice. Time to work out.

A full breakdown of the video is on my site under the Articles section.

Just got back in from .22 practice in the rain. Light rain quickly turned into a thunderstorm. I did about 400 rounds under those conditions.

It was getting dark.. and I did have problems seeing my sites. My .22 kits do not have fiber.. and I really ended up missing it. I could not call shots very well the darker it got. I ended up missing more than I should have.

Other than that, I can’t really say the rain had any effect at all on my shooting. As long as my grip was dry… no problem.

Due to relentless questions.. I posted "How I practice" in the Articles section on my site.

I spent today just doing dryfire and workout.

I got these leg weights and wore them doing dryfire movement drills. My legs are SMOKED. :cheers:

I just got in from a nice session of .22.

Overall I feel that I did not shoot well.. But I did learn about how important it is to be looking at where a target will show up when you get into a position. (like when a wall blocks your view) I need to work on getting my eyes where the sites need to be… even if I cant see the target yet.

Here is a video of one run. I had a jam after the first shot… $*$ing .22 kits…

I will have a more in depth “video review” on my site in the next couple days.

Overall I feel that I did not shoot well.. But I did learn about how important it is to be looking at where a target will show up when you get into a position. (like when a wall blocks your view) I need to work on getting my eyes where the sites need to be… even if I cant see the target yet.

I may be missing something but it looks to me that, when you get to that side of the barricade you break that first shot. :mellow: And I'm still jealous about your conversion. I wish they would come out with an XD one now. :rolleyes:

I may be missing something but it looks to me that, when you get to that side of the barricade you break that first shot. :mellow: And I'm still jealous about your conversion. I wish they would come out with an XD one now. :rolleyes:

Hopefully there will be a solution for you soon. It is a big money saver.

On the annoying news front… the price of my .22 practice ammo from Wal-Mart went up 20% overnight… that sucks.

Of course… it is still a great deal, but I am annoyed.

It looks like I will consume about 20k of it this year… along with about 10k of 9. Expensive.. but worth it.

Yesterdays practice breakdown is now up HERE.

Hey Ben, great stuff. Where'd you get your .22 kit? (I'm guessing the same or similar kit would work with the 96FS?)

Thanks!

I got mine from Beretta USA. It has since been discontinued... but I have heard talk that it may come back. It would indeed work on your gun.

Ben not trying to high jack, but thought I could share

I've been shooting a 22 conversion a for a couple of months, some times tha't all I will shoot, but for the most part I'll run a drill with the center fire a few time to get a par time I want to work off, then I hammer the drill with the 22, experimenting and pushing. Followed by a couple more runs with the center fire. If I run two drills in a practice sesion I'll shoot a box of 22 (550), and two hundred rounds of center fire. I always finish with the center fire.

The 22 is great cheaper than primers, a good learning tool, and no brass to pick up.