Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Gun Nationals

davenelson

If it's anything like last year, it will be hot and humid. Drink lots of water - and if you can have a portable air conditioned booth, that would be good!

The hill gets old. Many like a wagon or such, though this year they are allowing golf carts. That may indiocate there will be no tractor pulling a trailer as was sometimes available in the past. Of course, most of the time it didn't meet your schedule anyway. Thus, be ready for the hill.

A chair or umbrella may be good. There are bleachers at some of the ranges, so the chair may not be necessary, but the shade of an umbrella can be good.

Snacks to your preference. They do serve lunch at S&W Hall, or there is a Wendy's about ten minutes away.

Guy

The HILL sucks. It will kill an overweight 30 something shooter. Avoid the HILL. Rent a golf cart or at least bring a wagon.

Drink lots of water.

Use bug spray.

The stages will probably not be over difficult, but they won't be easy either.

It is Hot, Cold, sunny, clowdy, rainy, humid and dry in Barry during July.

Have at least one butterfly pork sandwich.

Sunblock 30 or better.

Don't miss!

The big problem last year was sweaty hands. All the vendors sold out of ProGrip and the shooters were hoarding it. "My precious!"

Buy a CamelBak. Drink enough water that you re-fill it at the lunch break and finish it off again at the end of the day.

All good suggestions, especially the water, shade, and sunblock, but I agree with David about the bug spray. That's a biggie. Man, last year there were ticks everywhere out there. I'd pull three or four off me during the match, and find two or three more in my clothes or in my gun bag back at the hotel at the end of the day. The "tick check" became a nightly routine.

BTW, my traveling companion for the FGNs has had a work complication come up due to a recent job change. This has forced me to reconsider my participation as well, due to the additional expense to fly out, or the solo 13 hour drive if I don't fly. As a result I have decided not to shoot the match. I'll miss seeing those of you I haven't seen since the FGNs last year, but I'll be pulling for all of you nonetheless and expecting a nice showing by BE forum members.

I am going to the Factory Gun Nationals this year and am looking for some tips to having a good match and a good time.

Not just shooting related but also suggestions like food and clothing.

Lots of great suggestions already that covered most of the stuff. As for food and clothing.....

Food.... it really depends on what you are looking for. There are several resturants in Quincy that are pretty good, from family type places, to steaks, to Italian, etc. Without trying to post a menu here, your best bet may be to ask some of the range staff. We're there enough that we generally get to all of them..... :huh:

Clothing.... if it is like last year, just wear three belt loops to hold your gunbelt, and a big hat. :D You may get some strange looks, but you will be cooler than the rest of us (although, hopefully the Area 5 weather will hold over for the match.... pleeze.....).

One suggestion I do have is that in addition to the bug spray, and mega sunscreen, you may want to throw in something like a medicated baby powder. I know it sounds weird, but it was so hot and humid last year that baby powder was more important to me that just about everything else.....

See ya there!

These tips are great. I had never heard of the hill before.

So I bought a wagon, a couple Nike Dri-Fit t-shirts, 48 SPF ultra-sweat-proof sunscreen and some new running socks to go along with the shorts, cleats, cooler, hat, and other stuff I already had ready to go.

I am also going to pack a bunch of extra stuff like a light jacket, umbrella, etc.. and just leave it all in the truck if I don't need it.

Thanks a lot.

I still grin every time I hear anybody mention holster and round trip in the same sentance.

The guy I was rooming with forgot his holster at Area 4 and it was a 6 hour round trip to retrieve it. Luckily I didn't have to accompany them. I slept in bliss and awoke refreshed, ready for the next day. They didn't.

Not too many people in Louisiana that has a spare left handed race holster and rig. Matter of fact, there's not any.

So Erik has a really good idea about the checklist. It's an even better idea if you plan on doing the 3 gun Nats also. Lots of potential for forgotten stuffage.